Naturals with multiple textures/hair types on your head...

Avaya

What has been your experience in taking care of your natural hair? I have been seriously contemplating going natural. I said I would do so when I turned 30. Well, 30 is right around the corner and I think I am going to push back the time frame (maybe 35?). I don't know. I seriously feel like just cutting it all off when I get home TODAY! I am sick of relaxed hair DRAMA!

One of my biggest deterrents besides my lack of confidence especially in my facial ability to pull it off (another thread for another day) is the fact that I have three different hair types going on on top of my head.

I've got coils in the top middle, waves in the front, and z's on the sides and in the back.

Who else has this situation and how do you maintain your hair? What are your go-to hair styles?

If a thread like this already exists, please feel free to leave the link.

Thanks!

TCatt86

There are many threads like this that exist I believe, but it doesn't hurt to ask again. I have multiple textures in my hair. The back is curly, the middle is coily and the front is wavy, for the longest I thought I still had relaxer in the front of my hair, because it would be super straight compared to the rest of my hair but I realized that how it is. I manage it by doing styles where my hair is set, I normally wear twist outs or a flexi rod set which I haven't done in a long time. I find that when you have mutliple textures setting your hair some kind of way gives the appearance of a uniform hair texture. Now some days I don't care and just wash and go, but majority of the time my hair is in a twist out or twists.

mscocoface

I have different textures my front and back are very different and the middle is a mix of both.

For being natural and being in protective styles for the past few years it has been easy to handle since I don't see it much. I haven't had to worry about how a certain product effects both textures so I have been pretty fortunate.

I treat it all the same and use the same products. So far no problems.

My issue had always been when I had relaxers or did pressings. My back is much more resistant to these two than my front so it was little frustrating to say the least when I would have to do this.

Carrie A

I treat it all the same also.....then let it do what it do. I tend to wear the pony puff often, and the front hangs a little straighter, probably from the tension. I doubt that there will be that much of a texture difference to change the overall look of your hair.
Why wait until 35 what you can do today? Why is 35 a safe year to go natural?

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I have about 4 textures but I don't treat them any differently or purposely try to blend them. I think you only have to worry about that if you're wearing styles like wash and gos.

With me, I only wear braids/twists and stretched styles so my hair always looks uniform.

half.cadence

The only time its a problem is when I do fingercoils and wash n gos.

With fingercoils, because my hair is wiry-fine in the front, I have to use perm rods because it will not hold a finger coil. With wash n gos my hair hangs like a reverse mullet..but it looks better as it dries. With WNGs its better for me to just let it be. I know some people use the denman for wash n gos so that it looks like one texture.

I dont really treat them differently as far as products go. When styling tho, the front is frizzier than anywhere else so I try not to mess with it too much when Im trying to wear it out.

When I want a uniformed look I go with:

twistouts
braidouts
coilouts
or perm rods/flexi rods

otherwise my hair is twisted, up braided up, or in a bun.

Last edited:

LynnieB

The only time its a problem is when

When I want a uniformed look I go with:

twistouts
braidouts
coilouts
or perm rods/flexi rods

otherwise my hair is twisted, up braided up, or in a bun.

What she said except for the coilouts and the wash and go. That's how I handle it and it was like this huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Teri's (biracialhair.org) method of "shingling" with lots of conditioner actually worked good for me but I'm just not motivated enough to do it consistently. Might be something you might want to try?

lilsparkle825

Don't we all have multiple textures? For me, the front is WAY looser than the crown, and the back is just as loose but it's spirals and not waves. I still wear WNGs most of the time, it was just awkward right after I BC'd cause the 4a part shrinks up a lot more than the rest, so I just got a Denman and smoothed it out as much as possible. My braidouts all look uniform so it's not a big deal.

I don't understand the "I will go natural when ______" thing. I mean, if you're really that sick of "relaxed hair drama" just do it, cause 5 years isn't gonna change anything. Matter of fact, if you BC today, 5 years now you will be back to your current length except it will all be natural. If it's something you really want, you won't regret it. And let's talk about this face thing...I had bangs for YEARS to hide my fivehead and then realized during my transition that they would have to go. Curly bangs are just weird! It was either relax my hair and waste those 10 months, or get over it and finish the transition. It was a good decision overall, because I am way less self-conscious now.

Last edited:

that_1_grrrl

I have about three different textures also - curly/z's in back, coils in the middle, waves/"straight" in the front. To further complicate things, my hair textures changes depending on what I put on it. I put a bunch of deep conditioner in there (trying to get rid of it), and the hair in front had 3c waves in it, which surprised me.

I treat all my textures the same. They all like heavy moisture. I just have a problem with the nape area. It's loose, but it tangles and knots up like crazy. The knots are so strong that they pull my hair out. Gargh! But, I am discovering that stretching my hair gets rid of that problem.

darlingdiva

I have primarily 4a hair. The far right side of my hair is 4b & the bottom back (in the middle) is 3c. I use the same products for my entire head. The only thing is that when I pick out my twist-out, I have to be sure not to fuss with the 4b side so much b/c that side will lose the curl easily.

Ramya

My hair is confused. I just work with what I have. The front is wavy, the middle is really curly the back and sides are really coily and there's frizz everywhere lol. I wash and go or fluff out for a curly fro look. The front is always smoothed some kind of way so that it's not as noticeable. I just play with it until it doesn't look so off :lol:

Ramya

I have about three different textures also - curly/z's in back, coils in the middle, waves/"straight" in the front. To further complicate things, my hair textures changes depending on what I put on it. I put a bunch of deep conditioner in there (trying to get rid of it), and the hair in front had 3c waves in it, which surprised me.

I treat all my textures the same. They all like heavy moisture. I just have a problem with the nape area. It's loose, but it tangles and knots up like crazy. The knots are so strong that they pull my hair out. Gargh! But, I am discovering that stretching my hair gets rid of that problem.

My hair is the same way except it's not knotting yet. It looks very different depending on what products I use to wash and condition it. :perplexed Like I said I just go with it. There's no need to fight with it :lachen:

Avaya

Your hair looks nice and uniform in your signature! I'm afraid of the unknown...