Low Porosity Support Thread

faithVA

--Share your hair background
Natural, dense and coarse, 4s and 3s
--What symptoms is your hair exhibiting?
1. Takes a long time to truly feel 'soaked'
2. Takes forever to dry all the way even though my hair is only NL at the longest
3. Does not do well with certain moisturizers unless hair is wet
4. Detangling is so hectic when done thoroughly
5. Goes with the 4th one: any 'slip' in conditioners doesn't seem to last long,
better luck with oil.
6. Easy for next day hair to feel 'parched' unless it's in individual braids/twists or has been baggied

--What have you tried that worked?
My hair loves conditioner in general-even the cheapies-more than moisturizer
Light, watery moisturizer followed by something thicker and creamy
Butters (ends only, full length only when braiding)
Thick Oils for sealing and rinsing
Keeping a spray bottle handy
Ayurvedic DC with hibiscus = moisture
Baggying while DC'ing

--What have you tried that did not work?
Protein? My hair can only take so much
Cones: build-up easily and my hair starts acting up
Buttery products as moisturizers
Dry DC'ing

--What questions do you have?
I'll have to think upon this one

Welcome MaraWithLove. A lot of that sounds very familiar.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I tried the kimmaytube original recipe this week and felt the castor oil was too heavy for my hair. However, I washed today and my hair was easier to detangle and she stayed moisturized the last few days.

Only problem was that my hair was heavy and weighed down.
I wear my hair in a bun mostly so not a huge deal.

faithVA

I tried the kimmaytube original recipe this week and felt the castor oil was too heavy for my hair. However, I washed today and my hair was easier to detangle and she stayed moisturized the last few days.

Only problem was that my hair was heavy and weighed down.
I wear my hair in a bun mostly so not a huge deal.

havilland, Yes I don't know many low porosity ladies that can put castor oil on after DCing and not see that result.

I have considered doing the Kimmay Tube with just the one light oil and then sealing my ends with castor oil. Have you considered that?

I do plan on prepooing with castor oil but its too heavy for a final step.

I'm glad your hair stayed mmoisturized though. Maybe you can try half the castor oil and still get a good seal.

havilland

@havilland, Yes I don't know many low porosity ladies that can put castor oil on after DCing and not see that result.

I have considered doing the Kimmay Tube with just the one light oil and then sealing my ends with castor oil. Have you considered that?

I do plan on prepooing with castor oil but its too heavy for a final step.

I'm glad your hair stayed mmoisturized though. Maybe you can try half the castor oil and still get a good seal.

faithVA next time i will try it on just my ends. i was going to try olive oil, but since my hair stayed moisturized, and since my ends are my problem area anyways, i think i will try it on my ends only and see if that helps. i usually have my hair in a bun or under a half wig anyway so i don't mind if it's GREAZEE. LOL

how's your week been?

faithVA

@faithVA next time i will try it on just my ends. i was going to try olive oil, but since my hair stayed moisturized, and since my ends are my problem area anyways, i think i will try it on my ends only and see if that helps. i usually have my hair in a bun or under a half wig anyway so i don't mind if it's GREAZEE. LOL

how's your week been?

Please keep us updated. I know we would love to try it, if someone got the ratios right. Even when my hair is up I don't like it greasy because I tend to put my hands in my hair too much :ohwell:

My weeks been aggravating but trying not to think about it :lol: Hope your week has been better than mine.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Posted in my LHCF blog re: how I deal with low porosity.

I think the major difference in my hair care has been: getting a water filter, increasing my protein usage, steaming my DC, moisturizing/sealing on sopping wet hair (when air drying) and using quality products. If I don't moisturize/seal on sopping wet hair I feel that all moisture escape my strands and its very hard to get moisture back into them. I stopped mixing my DCners sometime ago and I now use quality conditioners. That helped tremendously. I try my best to stay away from glycerin (even when used in optimum weather conditions) and avj. My hair seems to tolerate them in very miniscule doses otherwise my hair gets super dry. I steam weekly (my hair loves this!).

I have recently started using a reconstructor weekly and my hair seems to like that so far. Still kind of early on to tell but so far, so good.

Update - 7 Nov 11
For those who feel they are struggling with low porosity, here are a few things to consider....

Have you done the porosity test where you take clean hair (no products on it at all) and let it float in water?
-If it floats, you have low porosity.
-If it sinks, you have high porosity.

Have you done the wet strand test to ensure your protein/moisture is balanced?
Reference Sista Slick's wet strand test.

Roux PC is for high porosity hair.
-It closes the cuticles and make them lay flat. Low porosity hair has closed, flat cuticles already. Using Roux just futher complicates the problem, thereby further blocking moisture.

Other random things that helped me:
-Using heat with DCners. It helps open the cuticles and allow moisture to penetrate in the strands.
-Steam DCners almost 99.99% of the time. This has helped my low porosity hair tremendously, moreso than using a hooded dryer. You can use the home grown steam method (there's a thread about it) until you get a steamer for those without a steamer.
-Apply DCners from root to tip.
-I almost never use -cones. They block moisture.
-I use high quality, natural products. My hair prefers it.
-I avoid glycerin as it only works in optimum weather conditions. I prefer products that work year around.
-I use caution with products containing avj because it doesn't jive with my hair well.

faithVA

Posted in my LHCF blog re: how I deal with low porosity.

I think the major difference in my hair care has been: getting a water filter, increasing my protein usage, steaming my DC, moisturizing/sealing on sopping wet hair (when air drying) and using quality products. If I don't moisturize/seal on sopping wet hair I feel that all moisture escape my strands and its very hard to get moisture back into them. I stopped mixing my DCners sometime ago and I now use quality conditioners. That helped tremendously. I try my best to stay away from glycerin (even when used in optimum weather conditions) and avj. My hair seems to tolerate them in very miniscule doses otherwise my hair gets super dry. I steam weekly (my hair loves this!).

I have recently started using a reconstructor weekly and my hair seems to like that so far. Still kind of early on to tell but so far, so good.

Update - 7 Nov 11
For those who feel they are struggling with low porosity, here are a few things to consider....

Have you done the porosity test where you take clean hair (no products on it at all) and let it float in water?
-If it floats, you have low porosity.
-If it sinks, you have high porosity.

Have you done the wet strand test to ensure your protein/moisture is balanced?
Reference Sista Slick's wet strand test.

Roux PC is for high porosity hair.
-It closes the cuticles and make them lay flat. Low porosity hair has closed, flat cuticles already. Using Roux just futher complicates the problem, thereby further blocking moisture.

Other random things that helped me:
-Using heat with DCners. It helps open the cuticles and allow moisture to penetrate in the strands.
-Steam DCners almost 99.99% of the time. This has helped my low porosity hair tremendously, moreso than using a hooded dryer. You can use the home grown steam method (there's a thread about it) until you get a steamer for those without a steamer.
-Apply DCners from root to tip.
-I almost never use -cones. They block moisture.
-I use high quality, natural products. My hair prefers it.
-I avoid glycerin as it only works in optimum weather conditions. I prefer products that work year around.
-I use caution with products containing avj because it doesn't jive with my hair well.

Thank You divachyk, I think many of the ladies will find this useful.

faithVA

What deep conditioners are you ladies using? or would you recommend?

I am using AO White Camellia and Taliah Waajid Herbal Conditioner. I also like AO Blue Chamomile and will buy that again when the White Camellia runs out.

I have tried the AO GPB but my hair frowned on even that little bit of protein. My ends turned crispy and just fell off :nono:

This month I want to try one of the Nubian Heritage DCs. I have to read the ingredients though. I have to stay away from any wax in the DC. And some of them do have wax in them.

faithVA

I am still playing around with my AVJ+ glycerin mix. Too early to say what is or is not working. Yesterday I used my Shea Moisture Mist on my twists before taking them down. My hair was soft and moisturized yesterday even at the end of the day.

Just threw on my bonnet last night. Today my hair is still soft and moisturized. I only have a little of the Shea Moisture Mist left. I will continue to moisturize with it until it is gone or until my next wash day. This is one of the few Mists that I have used that actually leaves my hair moisturized and not greasy. I don't find that it lasts long. But perhaps I could add a bit more glycerin to it to get it to last a bit longer.

JazzyOleBabe

I use the Kimmay tube leave in and add QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee and the QB Burdock Root Butter Cream on top of each section before twisting. Keeps my hair moisturized for 2-3 days. HTH

Last edited:

faithVA

I am going to try washing my hair with Castille Soap for the 1st time today. I will let you now how it works out.

I am prepooing now with AVG + castor oil blend + coconut oil. This feels pretty good. Hopefully it will last.

Evolving78

i plan on detangling with coconut oil and cowashing. i'm not going to dc this time around. cowashing and using a leave-in conditioner should be enough. i'm also going to start moisturizing and sealing once a day. twice a day is causing too much buildup. i am protective styling now, but i will go back to roller setting when i reach my hair goal for the year, which is BSB.

i think i will deep condition every other week too. i just don't wanna coat my hair, making it difficult for moisture to get in.

using a creamy leave-in on dripping wet hair helps. i do want to try that Creme Of Nature Argan oil leave-in and dc. i would like a good liquid spray and then use a creamy leave-in. i airdry loose, so i need as much moisture to stay in as possible.

faithVA

If I prepoo again, I will just try the AVG and castor oil. The coconut oil didn't seem to do much. But I was able to pretty easily detangle my hair. It didn't melt but it was good.

So far I like washing with the Castile Soap. My hair was smooth and it didn't tangle at all. The conditioner went on smoother and I used less. And I was able to easily flat twist the front of my hair without tangling.

I started spraying herbal tea on the back and I could immediately feel the hair start to shrink and get tight :nono: So I only applied the herbal tea on the back. This will give me a good comparison of the castille soap by itself.

But the herbal tea really did help with my shedding. So I hope I won't see a difference in the front without it.

JazzyOleBabe

faithVA

I have to get back to using my tea spritz. I have noticed some shedding and need to find out what is causing this. I have been using a lot of protein lately and naybe that is the culprit. Will keep an eye on it.

faithVA

I liked the way my hair felt after I used the Castille Soap. I DCd with AO White Camellia under my heat cap and it felt good. But after the rinse my hair felt hard. So I guess I need to try closing my cuticles next time with some AVJ.

My hair is now in flat twist and twist and feels fine. The test will come this week, trying to maintain moisture and on takedown. It's worth another try.

bb09

Bumping

My hair still gets on my nerves :nono:. I get broken hairs moisturising on dry or wet hair. I can't seem to ever maintain moisture in my hair when fully dried, so I couldn't even Think about regularly using heat either.

I'm praying I find some solutions here lol. I'm glad this is a hot topic.

faithVA

My hair still felt rough yesterday. I took my flat twists down, moisturized each section with AVJ/glycerin and then twisted back up with Joies Natural Gel and sealed with sunflower oil.

So far the AVJ/glycerin is working out wel for me. And I am sealing my ends with a shea butter blend mixed with a little water.

I am going to leave the Castille soap alone for a while and go back to my mudwash. This weekend I will see if I can improve my regimen a little bit and incorporate the AVJ/glycerin better on wash day.

faithVA

Moisturized with avj/glycerin, baggied while I worked out, sealed my strands with grapeseed oil and my ends with a shea butter blend. I hope this works and doesn't leave my hair dry. Baggying usually doesn't work for me.

blackeyes31626

interesting article one moisturizing low porosity hair
http://www.natreview.com/2012/04/18/the-other-path-to-moisture-technically-speaking-moisturizing-low-porosity-hair/#comment-8039

"Tip

Adding small amounts of surfactant to your deep conditioner will lower the overall surface energy of the system and drive hydration.

Super Tip

Adding a tiny amount of Castile soap to your deep condish regimen will drive hydration for several reasons. The first is that it will lower the overall surface energy of the water system. The second is that the castile soap tends to have a higher pH and it will also open the hair cuticle (more on this later)."

Very interesting...

PracticallyMe

High Powered Lurker
I haven't read through the thread but so glad it was started because I came specifically to this board tonight to find suggestions on moisturizing low porosity hair. I just finished another three hour session of doing my 7 year old DD's 4b, low porosity hair. It is a very trying experience because she is extremely tender headed.

Nothing seems to penetrate her strands. It's a wonder her hair grows at all, but it does. I keep her hair in several small ponytail twists, so the style lasts 3 weeks or so, but I moisturize it daily. By the end of the day, her hair is dry as a bone. I've tried many products and some work a little bit, but nothing really helps with detangling her hair. So, after washing, it takes me a long time to detangle her hair, even though I wash her hair in individual twists. I only totally take her hair down maybe twice a year. Still, wash day is beyond stressful. Anyway, I really hope to find some help.

Off to read the thread.

PracticallyMe

High Powered Lurker
--Share your hair background

My 7 y.o. DD has natural, 4b, low porosity hair w/ medium strands.

--What symptoms is your hair exhibiting?

Nothing penetrates her strands. I can't get her hair moisturizer.

--What have you tried that worked?

Still looking for a solution.

--What have you tried that did not work?

I've tried many products that have given lackluster results.

--What questions do you have?

Product suggestion to help with moisture.

My answers are in bold above.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
For those willing to rollerset, my hair does much better and I rarely have moisture issues when using heat (rollersettng). My hair takes a bit much to hydrate when air drying. I try to rollerset more often than air drying.

Postal

interesting article one moisturizing low porosity hair
http://www.natreview.com/2012/04/18/the-other-path-to-moisture-technically-speaking-moisturizing-low-porosity-hair/#comment-8039

"Tip

Adding small amounts of surfactant to your deep conditioner will lower the overall surface energy of the system and drive hydration.

Super Tip

Adding a tiny amount of Castile soap to your deep condish regimen will drive hydration for several reasons. The first is that it will lower the overall surface energy of the water system. The second is that the castile soap tends to have a higher pH and it will also open the hair cuticle (more on this later)."

Very interesting...

This article is great

I love reading stuff about hair that has scientific and logical merit to it

Thank you for posting it to this thread!

havilland

I didn't use any cleanser yesterday. Just conditioner and oil rinse. My hair feels great today and still moisturized. Normally I use a gentle cleanser like amla cream cleanser from hairveda or vo5 clarifying conditioner.

faithVA

For those willing to rollerset, my hair does much better and I rarely have moisture issues when using heat (rollersettng). My hair takes a bit much to hydrate when air drying. I try to rollerset more often than air drying.

I definitely want to try this. I may wait until my hair is a little longer though so I can bun it. divachyk, what do you put on your hair prior to rollersetting?

Evolving78

i decided to go back to roller setting too. air drying was kinda rough to my ends and my hair required more product to keep it moisturized. i think cowashing just coats my hair and doesn't allow buildup to be removed enough for water/moisture to penetrate my strands better. i really liked Nioxin shampoo and conditioner for fine hair. it kept my hair light when my stylist would use it on me. i will go back to that when the summer comes.