Oprah usues Phytospecific Relaxer

AmyInAtl

Breaks the bank--but I'll never use another!, November 12, 2006
Reviewer:L. Davis (Dallas, TX)
This is by far the most expensive relaxer I've ever used and it is worth every penny. I first heard of it as being Oprah's relaxer so I decided to hunt it down. One of the best things I've ever done. I have very coarse, thick "horsehair" that usually defeats most over the counter perms after a few washings. Not Phytospecific's relaxer. My hair stayed soft AND STRAIGHT no matter what the weather or I did to it. And it's the healthiest it's ever been. No other relaxer ever did that for my hair. In fact they usually made it worse! I absolutely love the Phytorelaxer and I am officially addicted. If it were less pricey, it would get 5 stars.

too pricey, but i wouldn't use anything else, September 17, 2006
Reviewer:D. roberts (ny)
i'm black, have kinky hair, and i've been relaxing my hair for about 25 years. i've used many many types of relaxers to my dismay:- hair falling out, breaking, dry, etc.
so i let my hair "rest" for about 5 years then i tried the relaxer thing again after i found phyto. i've been doing my own hair now for about 1 year, and it's been great!- except for the price. my hair still feels as if it has life in it, it it is not breaking, it is not falling out. it burns like regular straightener. i use vinegar to neutralize it, then use the neutralizing shampoo with indicator to check for pink. please, there's not enough neutralizing shampoo to get rid of the staraightener.
the price is scary, but i'm more afraid of having my hair fall out and having to fix that.
soon, i'll have to get a hairdresser though, because my hair has now been retaining it's length and growing - and it's harder to straighten it myself.

Pregnant and in NEED of a relaxer, September 15, 2006
Reviewer:karla (north wales, pa) -I am an African-American female with long, thick hair. I relax and highlight my hair, so imagine the hell I was in when I heard that you should not chemically treat your hair when you are pregnant. I tried to go along with that, however after 8 weeks I was in dire need of something. I searched the web for a safe product and found this relaxer. After rinsing it out and using the phyto shampoo and conditioner I was horrified with the fact that my hair felt like straw. I rewashed it with Keracare shampoo and conditioner and it felt normal again. The phyto relaxer did the same thing as a cheap drugstore relaxer, however it has a pleasant scent and doesn't burn your scalp. After doing 2 or 3 relaxers myself I started to notice breakage. But I assumed that it was from being pregnant. I stopped doing my own relaxers when my belly started to weigh me down entirely too much. I called Phyto and they gave me a listing of salons that use the relaxer on clients. The salon I went to explained to me that I didn't understand placement when it comes to relaxer. I was pretty much overlapping the product onto previously relaxed hair. The instructions say not to do it, but it is really hard to control that. I continued going to the salon for the relaxers and my hair grew back.
Now a year later, I continue to use the salon and the product. I am breastfeeding my son, so I stay away from the chemicals still. I suggest this relaxer to all of my pregnant friends that don't want to walk around with crazy hair. I mean pregnancy makes you feel bad enough.

AmyInAtl

Performed well, but too costly!, August 18, 2006
Reviewer:J. Brown (Altadena, CA United States) -
I am black American and have combination hair...nappy, wavy and straight. I've been using drug store relaxers for over 30 years (Crème of Nature, TCB, Dark & Lovely, Revlon Realistic) whatever is "on sale" with satisfying results. These products leave my hair evenly straight and shiny but hard and stiff immediately after the process. I usually wash my hair after a few days (I like to give it a rest after relaxing) and use a good conditioner to soften and detangle. From there I am able to go about 12 weeks before having to retouch. In general my hair is healthy and responds well to straightners. My biggest expense is with conditioning products to maintain my hair. I'll try anything and spend any amount if it works well on my hair. I have great success with Frederic Fekkai products and love Phytodefrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm...this stuff is amazing if you like to wash and go (air dry) and it works wonders with blow drying/flat ironing too. (Bumble and Bumble Styling Spray is another amazing product for great flat ironing results.)

I forked out $60 to try Phtyo2 after reading all the rave reviews. I am satisfied with the outcome but not blown away. Yes, Phyto2 did not smell bad, it did not burn my scalp and it did straighten my hair but no better than Dark and Lovely or TCB, and my hair was still hard and stiff afterward.

It has been several weeks and my hair is doing great, but again no different from when I use Dark & Lovely. I guess I am lucky that my hair responds well to ANY type of relaxer so I doubt I'll be spending another $60 for Phyto2...I'd rather buy two tubes of Phytodefrisant Balm and continue to with my $7.99 drug store brands. I hope this helps someone with similar hair as mine. If you do well with drug store brands, Phyto results are not that different...spend the money on their other products that nourish and condition your hair.

The Best Relaxer I've Ever Used!, August 9, 2006
Reviewer:N. Nnolim -
I used the PhytoRelaxer Index 2 for the very first time 2 days ago. I am an African-American female. My hair texture is not very fine, and not very coarse or thick. I would say I have medium-textured hair. In the past I have used regular strength relaxers and achieved good results. My hair is long, probably 3-4 inches past my shoulders. Prior to using the PhytoRelaxer, my hair was in decent shape; I would not describe it as damaged. I do not have any hair coloring or other chemical process on my hair (besides a previous relaxer). My hair was previously relaxed approximately 10 weeks ago. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results I got from using this relaxer! The relaxer has a nice mild fragrance to it, almost a floral scent. I even left the relaxer on my hair about 5 minutes longer than the directions stated, and there was no hair breakage or shedding.

After using the product, my hair feels very soft, shiny, bouncy with lots of movement, and BONE-STRAIGHT. I like that because if my hair is this straight after using the relaxer, it means I won't have to relax my hair again for several more weeks. I have used other relaxers that leave my hair with a kind of hard, brittle feeling, but with this relaxer, even after using a blow-dryer and curling iron, the softness and shininess was still there. What I'd like to do is post another review in a few weeks after I've washed my hair a few times and report back on how well the relaxer lasts. I would DEFINITELY recommend this relaxer, and I plan to use it again in the future. The price is a bit steep, but unfortunately you can't find it cheaper anywhere else.

I love this..., August 5, 2006
Reviewer:DeDe (Houston, Texas United States)
1.Your race (black, white..etc)
my ETHNICITY: african-american
2. Your hair texture (fine, coarse, curly, wavy...etc)
extremely thick and wavy
3. The condition of your hair prior to treatment (relaxed, damaged, color-treated...etc)
severely damaged, dry, and previously relaxed every 6 weeks for 10 years
4. The condition of your hair after treatment.
soft, shiny, NO breakage, NO weakness, NO limpness, lots of body, more elasticity than before, swinging from side to side easily, straight at the root but not stick straight at the shaft, bouncy
5. Length of time you have been using this product.
1 year on and off. I can't afford it when I need a relaxer all of the time, so sometimes I purchased silk elements no-lye/lye, affirm or mizani. NONE of them are like this relaxer and I'm just going to have to keep using this one consistently so I can maintain top results with moisture and bounce.

Honey6928215

How did you find out about this? Right now I'm sticking with Dark&Lovely and Optimum. Whenever I can afford Phtospecific I just might get it.

JLove74

omnipadme said:
Phytospecific makes hair vitamins too. I wonder how well they work...

I've heard great things about their vitamins. I'm thinking of getting them when my current supply of vits runs out.

SohoHair

I've been using the Phyto vitamins (Phytophanere) for about two months and I am quite pleased. They say it takes a full 4 months to really see results, but I am already quite happy, my new growth is soft and strong and my skin is gorgeous and my nails are rock hard and never break. :love: I stopped taking Viviscal and started taking these so after my 4 months are over I'll post about my comparisons between the two.

oduwu

Vanessa Willaims (The proactive girl) also uses this type of relaxer. I just read this in my Essence magfazine

Embyra

why am i still reading about phyto relaxer urgh the more i read the more i want it smh lool

winnettag

Wait a minute. I thought Oprah was natural until recently.
She went from using phyto in 2006/2007 to BSL natural in 2009?
I must have missed something. Enlighten me please.
I mean, it's possible, just doesn't seem likely.

Embyra

from the way oprah said she is relaxed and she ''couldnt deal with all that'' i dont think she has been natural for a long time

i think when she has said this is me before the relaxer people assume she is talking about her hair being virgin hair but i think she just means this is me before my touch up

Andre has said that no lye relaxers are better for colour treated hair

winnettag

from the way oprah said she is relaxed and she ''couldnt deal with all that'' i dont think she has been natural for a long time

i think when she has said this is me before the relaxer people assume she is talking about her hair being virgin hair but i think she just means this is me before my touch up

Andre has said that no lye relaxers are better for colour treated hair

Okay, that makes some kind of sense. I'll buy that.
Oh, Oprah.