RELAXER ROUTINE

soslychic

I've come up with this relaxer routine gathering info. from various sources. Plz read and make routine suggesions or product substitution suggesions. Sorry so long!
BEFORE RELAXER: Be very careful with scalp at least a week before relaxer. No
scratching or directly handling scalp in any way. On the last wash before a relaxer, wash
hair with Nexxus Therappe Shampoo and use Nexxus Keraphix Restorative Protein
Creme Reconstructor.
Follow up with Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturzing Conditioner. Style without
pomades, gels, or hair sprays.

SECTION THE HAIR: Take the clips, and rattail comb. Take the end of the rattail comb,
and part the hair from the crown down the center of the back of the head. Clip one side.

BASE THE SCALP: sidenote: (Day before relaxer apply oil sheen to entire scalp to
sooth. I want to base day before too because my scalp is so sensative). On the part that is
showing apply Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Sheen Spray and Sensative by
Nature Scalp Balm. Remove the clip and part parallel to the part and apply base again.
Keep doing this around the whole head. It will take several parts because the oil has to
cover the entire scalp.

CONDITION ENDS: Use Infusium 23 Leave-In Treatment and Lekair Cholesterol to
saturate and protect previously relaxed ends.

APPLY THE RELAXER Now take the Affirm Regular or Mild relaxer and stir very
well. Put on your gloves. Part the hair the same way you parted it when you started
basing the scalp. Take the tint brush and dip in relaxer. Make sure it is a good amount
and place it only on the new growth. Unclip the hair and make another pie parting and
repeat. So this until you have completed your entire head. This should take you 8 to 10
minutes.

SMOOTH THE RELAXER: Start in the first section and use the rattail comb to pull
relaxer through and gently pull and stretch the new growth. Take fingers and smooth very
well. Stop at end of new growth. Do not overlap! To make sure that the hair is the desired
straightness take off your gloves and actually feel the sections with your thumb. This
little exposure won't be bad for your skin. You don't want the hair to be bone straight.
You want it to be straight with just a little bit of spring back. That "spring back" is called
elasticity. Without that your hair has no choice but to break when pulled.

CAP: Put on a plastic cap and leave for 5 minutes.

RINSE: When the hair is the desired amount of straightness then the hair will be rinsed.
When you rinse you have to make sure that you spend at least 10 minutes rinsing. You
need to pull the hair open while you rinse to make sure all of the crevices are free of
relaxer. Keep hair in one direction.

NEUTRALIZE AND SHAMPOO: Once it is completely rinsed, apply Affirm 5-in-1
reconstructor and leave on for 10 minutes to neutralizing hair. Shampoo twice with
Affirm Normalizing Shampoo. Follow up with Nexxus Therappe Moisturizing
Shampoo.

CONDITION: Apply LeKair Cholesterol Deep Conditioner and sit under the dryer for
30 minutes. Rinse.

TOWEL DRY and STYLE: Once the hair is rinsed pat dry with a towel. No need to rub.
Remember the cuticle layer is very delicate when wet, and especially after a relaxer. Pat
dry until the hair is damp. Apply Infusium 23 with drops of oil. Comb through with a
wide tooth comb and roller, wrap, or doobie set.

AFTER RELAXER:
The next wash after relaxer (about 5 days after), do regular wash routine substituting
Nexxus Aloe Rid Gentle Clarifying Shampoo for regular shampoo. Use Nexxus
Emergencee reconstructor under the dryer for 30 minutes. Finish with Nexxus
Humectress Conditioner. Put on Infusium, Headress, and oil mixture and proceed to
style.

HOTCHOCOLATE

That sounds very good, Soslychic
. What is the point on putting on a plastic cap before rinsing out the relaxer?

KitaWita

I have one question...do you already own the Nexxus haircare products? If not, I would like to forewarn you that they are very expensive and not everyone has great results after using them. There are plenty of less expensive products out there that will give the same (if not better) results. If you already own them, please disregard my post.

Good Luck on your hair journey!!

beana3

very well thought out! I just have 2 comments...

I think that just using cholesterol to saturate ends when relaxing is sufficient. Anything watery has the potential to drip and interfere. If you have done this before with no problem, then just ignore me

Also, why are you using a plastic cap when you let the relaxer sit? If it generates heat then i would be wary

Overall it sounds excellent!

soslychic

Thanks for your responses guys!

Yes I do already have the nexxus products and I love them. They are very good for my hair. Thx for the heads up anyway.

And as far as the plastic bag, this was the only thing that concerned me. I was hoping to get some responses on it. I"ve heard that this helps to smooth it and that a lot of salons do it (i don't know if that means anything with salons reps
) so I decided to throw that in and see what you all thought. I will probably leave in out though. Thx again.

Soslychic,

Your touchup routine sounds good. I am curious to know what others' experiences have been with the plastic cap though.

Question: I am going to do my first wash after the Affirm relaxer tomorrow. Have you in the past used the Affirm 5 in 1 on the first wash following the touchup? How did your hair react to it?

Also, you stated that you have a sensative scalp. Do you sooth your scalp with anything on the days follow the touchup or do you just leave it alone? I personnally don't have any suggestions on this . . . I was just wondering if I should put something on the scalp to let it heal, like jojoba oil.

--perfect peace

candycane

I used the bag when I relaxed this weekend. That "trick" was first taught to me by a hair stylist many years ago. Basically the bag generates a bit of heat. The heat allows the relaxer to respond quicker so that you limit the amount of time the chemical stays in your hair.

So if you should are supposed to leave a relaxer in for a total of lets say 22 minutes, placing the bag on the hair at about 10 minutes could help to reduce the time needed for the relaxer to stay in.

HTH

Candycane