Natural 4b Blow Dry Hell

localhost

I need some serious blow dry help from other natural 4s.

When I blow dry, my ends always remain tightly coiled. always.

I'm using a blow dryer with a comb attachment, shown below. I deep condition beforehand, apply leave in conditioner, and some shea butter.

What else should I do? Sorry if the pic below isn't very detailed. Hopefully you can get an idea of what is happening.

TIA!

Tiye

I don't use a blow dryer very often. I stretch by braiding, air drying and then press or flat iron. Since it looks like you have a lot of thick, tightly coiled hair you might consider this option. You could also do stretch, air dry and then blow dry. What setting is your dryer on? For hair like yours you may not be able to get away with the low setting - that is if you want your hair to get straight

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Maybe you should leave out the shea butter and try a heat protectant instead. You can even try to roller set your hair. It can get pretty strait that way.

IrrationalThoughts

I don't use a blow dryer very often. I stretch by braiding, air drying and then press or flat iron. Since it looks like you have a lot of thick, tightly coiled hair you might consider this option. You could also do stretch, air dry and then blow dry. What setting is your dryer on? For hair like yours you may not be able to get away with the low setting - that is if you want your hair to get straight

I kind of agree @ the bolded. I have not so thick/dense 4b/a hair and my ends always stayed curly. I read on someone's blog that they used high heat on high and their hair got straigth. No amount of tension or comb attatchments worked until I sucked it up and used more heat. I just wont do it often.

aja1121

No product will really help this problem; it's all about technique. Carefully use a denman, round, or paddle brush along with your blowdryer (just on the ends). It's takes a bit of practice to get use to. Also, an easy way out is a hot air brush.

Oh and I just read that you use low-heat, try bumping it up to at least medium...always use a heat-protectant!!

Minty

this is a very common problem with 4b hair. VERY common.

It requires a multiple fronted approach starting with
1. 100% bound hair, 100% of the time. - unless you wear straight styles, you can not do twist outs, or any 'outs' or afros.

The matted mess on the ends are a combination of splits, ssk, and tight coiled two-multi knots, which is why you get the little balls on the ends or they pop off.

2. Light creamy watery based moisture, multiple times per day. Water based! Not aloe Vera juice, or Shea butter or tap water. Crece Pelo, Ego Boost, Alter Ego leave in (nourishing spa)

3. Be easy with the oils.

4. Yup, you need a trim

5. When you are ready to straighten again, use a "Smoothing" line like Tigi S smooth line or Mizani Thermasmooth.

localhost

This is some very good advice, thanks to everyone for posting.

I use the blow dryer on medium heat. If I go to high, it shuts off after about 1 minute. I guess the dryer just can't handle the density, lol.

I just had about a 1inch trim last week. For me to attempt to blow dry and flat iron is a 6 hour ordeal. I had no idea. And my hair isn't too long, it's about SL stretched, but it shrinks more than 80%. I look like I have a TWA, but stretched, it's looks miraculous.

While I have y'all, here's some questions:

- I'm attempting to heat train to loosen my curl over time. Is this a good move or should I just live with what I've got going on? I want Longhairdontcare's hair in the worst way!

- What's up with the bounding/banded technique? Walk me through what you guys do...shampoo, deep condition, towel blot, then?? Braid and airdry or rollerset? How can I get the stretch and a cute style without resorting to a puff with a band or a fro'd out mess?

- If I use a water based product, once my hair dries, will it feel crunchy? How do I get my hair to feel moisturized without be LOADED with product? I want soft, touchable hair that can hold a style, but I want to enjoy my pillows and chair head rests at the same time. LOL!

- And finally, the gym. What are y'all doing to maintain? I'm in the gym 4 times per week WERKIN' it! I'm scared, real scared...

You see, I'm coming out of braids and twists after over a year of transitioning and I'm now working with my real texture. Now I'm extension free, and while I absolutely love my hair, I'm hitting a wall of frustration.

Your insight and help is much appreciated!!

Last edited:

Minty

Its okay love, take a deep breath.

Send @Brittany (don't remember the rest of her screen name) a message, she also has yt on heat training which is extremely informative.

I'm on my phone so this wont answer all ur questions.

Binding simply means keeping your hair in protecive styles, braided, twisted, etc.

It will take some time and that's okay.

Yes if your drier is shutting off there is a problem - with your drier, not your hair.

No u wont be able to straighten in 45 mins. Comes with the territory.

Stop looking at longhair...... love her progress, but her journey is not yours. Many have traveled that road only to become disillusioned.

virtuenow

I just had about a 1inch trim last week. For me to attempt to blow dry and flat iron is a 6 hour ordeal. I had no idea. And my hair isn't too long, it's about SL stretched, but it shrinks more than 80%. I look like I have a TWA, but stretched, it's looks miraculous.

While I have y'all, here's some questions:

- I'm attempting to heat train to loosen my curl over time. Is this a good move or should I just live with what I've got going on? I want Longhairdontcare's hair in the worst way!

- What's up with the bounding/banded technique? Walk me through what you guys do...shampoo, deep condition, towel blot, then?? Braid and airdry or rollerset? How can I get the stretch and a cute style without resorting to a puff with a band or a fro'd out mess?

- If I use a water based product, once my hair dries, will it feel crunchy? How do I get my hair to feel moisturized without be LOADED with product? I want soft, touchable hair that can hold a style, but I want to enjoy my pillows and chair head rests at the same time. LOL!

- And finally, the gym. What are y'all doing to maintain? I'm in the gym 4 times per week WERKIN' it! I'm scared, real scared...

You see, I'm coming out of braids and twists after over a year of transitioning and I'm now working with my real texture. Now I'm extension free, and while I absolutely love my hair, I'm hitting a wall of frustration.

Your insight and help is much appreciated!!

I guess I'm heat training on the slide too. I never categorized it, but if I had to then, that sounds about right. I blowdry after every wash (except a few times for experiment purpose). I found that water based products leave my hair a dry, crunchy, disaster. I don't know how so many of the ladies here can do it. Anything water-based leaves me with crunchy, untouchable - or sticky hair. That's why I could never join the juice challenge. I must have an original kind of nappy. Butters and oils are my hairs best friend. My conditioners even work better now taht I melt some shea butter/coconut oil/castor oil into them.

Oh yeah, back to your main question! To get more stretch to your ends after a blowdry, I suggest you give the "tension" method a try. I am a master at the blowdry b/c I do it often and I've tried most techniques out there. The comb attachment never got my hair as straight as the tension method on high heat. I always use high, b/c my hair would laugh at the low & med heat. I can try to link you to some good youtube vids on blowdry tension if you like. By the way, I have about 90% shrinkage, so I have to keep my hair stretched in order to retain length. "Miraculous" is the right word, girl (n your funny, ha!!):lachen:(first time i ever used this smiley)

k.belle

natural gal
I have tried banding and I absolutely love it. I scouted some YT folks who had that big Chaka Khan-like hair as I do. lol
I used about four or five bands on my SL hair after parting my hair in about 8 to 9 sections. (Three on each side, four ... I think ... in the middle, I hope you get the picr). I noticed my hair dried much quicker compared to roller setting, silk wrapping and all the other ideas I have seen.
I sat under a soft bonnet dryer for a little over and hour. I loosened the bands closest to my scalp, sat there for a little while longer and it took no time to dry.
Now understand, normally my hair takes decades to dry even as a WNG, so this was great for me!
When I band my hair is so much easier to flat iron than w/o banding. I have very coily, dense 4a/4b in parts hair too.
Good luck!

Black Ambrosia

It sounds like you need to invest in a better dryer. It shouldn't cut off after a minute regardless of the heat setting. Having said that, you probably should be on the highest setting as well. While you don't want to put your hair through prolonged exposure to high temps, you need the heat to eliminate your problem. I usually use a medium setting to get the hair 80% dry. This stretches the hair and makes it less dense and, therefore, easier to straighten. Then I switch to high. Trying to do it on high from start to finish will be counterproductive, if you're like me and start to sweat. Your ends will look good and but your edges won't have a chance because your scalp will be moist.

I don't know the model number off hand but I'm using a FHI blow dryer. I think its something like a Nano Pro (insert model number here). I also use the Willie Morrow hair attachment that you bolt on to the dryer so it never pops off when working through thick hair. Folica says the product is no longer available but I'm sure you can still find it somewhere online as its pretty popular among naturals who straighten.

Willie Morrow Blow Dryer Attachment

Mook's hair

I think there is lots of great advice in this thread already.

I was having a similar issue with a gold n hot dryer. Then I read black masterpiece's review here
Product Review: Andis ColorWaves Tourmaline-Ionic Blow Dryer |
And bought the Andis ColorWaves Tourmaline-Ionic Blow Dryer that she uses.
It really is a great dryer.

I also believe that technique can be detrimental. I wash & detangle in the shower.And as I'm detangling I section my hair into at least 5 areas and twist and or band otherwise it will immediately shrink & tangle.

I like Chi Serum but have also had success with regular old fashioned hair grease and with Silk Elements heat protectant in the spray bottle.

I like to start with the dryer on low and start at the ends well, about 3 inches from the ends. I prefer to use the comb attachment.

That blow dryer in your picture is the type I used when I was relaxed. but I cracked that sucker in my hair about 8 months into my transition. No, not the comb attachment, I cracked the blow dryer. It just couldn't handle the Super4 Thickness.

localhost

Its okay love, take a deep breath.

Send @Brittany (don't remember the rest of her screen name) a message, she also has yt on heat training which is extremely informative.

Binding simply means keeping your hair in protecive styles, braided, twisted, etc.

It will take some time and that's okay.

Yes if your drier is shutting off there is a problem - with your drier, not your hair.

No u wont be able to straighten in 45 mins. Comes with the territory.

Stop looking at longhair...... love her progress, but her journey is not yours. Many have traveled that road only to become disillusioned.

I've been stalking her videos too. I think you're right...it's the dryer and not the hair. I need to find and use a really good technique.

I guess I'm heat training on the slide too. I never categorized it, but if I had to then, that sounds about right. I blowdry after every wash (except a few times for experiment purpose). I found that water based products leave my hair a dry, crunchy, disaster. I don't know how so many of the ladies here can do it. Anything water-based leaves me with crunchy, untouchable - or sticky hair. That's why I could never join the juice challenge. I must have an original kind of nappy. Butters and oils are my hairs best friend.

Oh yeah, back to your main question! To get more stretch to your ends after a blowdry, I suggest you give the "tension" method a try. I am a master at the blowdry b/c I do it often and I've tried most techniques out there. The comb attachment never got my hair as straight as the tension method on high heat. I always use high, b/c my hair would laugh at the low & med heat. I can try to link you to some good youtube vids on blowdry tension if you like. By the way, I have about 90% shrinkage, so I have to keep my hair stretched in order to retain length. "Miraculous" is the right word, girl (n your funny, ha!!):lachen:(first time i ever used this smiley)

I will search for some blow dry tension method videos, but if you have the links to some that you thought are good, I would love to check them out!

"Miraculous" is the truth! I just can't believe my eyes when my hair goes from shrunken to stretched. Man!

I have tried banding and I absolutely love it. I scouted some YT folks who had that big Chaka Khan-like hair as I do. lol
I used about four or five bands on my SL hair after parting my hair in about 8 to 9 sections. (Three on each side, four ... I think ... in the middle, I hope you get the picr). I noticed my hair dried much quicker compared to roller setting, silk wrapping and all the other ideas I have seen.
I sat under a soft bonnet dryer for a little over and hour. I loosened the bands closest to my scalp, sat there for a little while longer and it took no time to dry.
Now understand, normally my hair takes decades to dry even as a WNG, so this was great for me!
When I band my hair is so much easier to flat iron than w/o banding. I have very coily, dense 4a/4b in parts hair too.
Good luck!

This is very helpful! And it make sense. I do have a couple of questions for you...what type of bands do you use? Just regular rubber bands or the ouchless bands? And when your hair is damp, what types of products do you use to moisturize?

It sounds like you need to invest in a better dryer. It shouldn't cut off after a minute regardless of the heat setting. Having said that, you probably should be on the highest setting as well. While you don't want to put your hair through prolonged exposure to high temps, you need the heat to eliminate your problem. I usually use a medium setting to get the hair 80% dry. This stretches the hair and makes it less dense and, therefore, easier to straighten. Then I switch to high. Trying to do it on high from start to finish will be counterproductive, if you're like me and start to sweat. Your ends will look good and but your edges won't have a chance because your scalp will be moist.

I don't know the model number off hand but I'm using a FHI blow dryer. I think its something like a Nano Pro (insert model number here). I also use the Willie Morrow hair attachment that you bolt on to the dryer so it never pops off when working through thick hair. Folica says the product is no longer available but I'm sure you can still find it somewhere online as its pretty popular among naturals who straighten.

Willie Morrow Blow Dryer Attachment

This is very helpful! I've heard good things about FHI, so it looks like I need to leave Gold N' Hot from Sally's alone :lol:

I think there is lots of great advice in this thread already.

I was having a similar issue with a gold n hot dryer. Then I read black masterpiece's review here
Product Review: Andis ColorWaves Tourmaline-Ionic Blow Dryer |
And bought the Andis ColorWaves Tourmaline-Ionic Blow Dryer that she uses.
It really is a great dryer.

I also believe that technique can be detrimental. I wash & detangle in the shower.And as I'm detangling I section my hair into at least 5 areas and twist and or band otherwise it will immediately shrink & tangle.

I like Chi Serum but have also had success with regular old fashioned hair grease and with Silk Elements heat protectant in the spray bottle.

I like to start with the dryer on low and start at the ends well, about 3 inches from the ends. I prefer to use the comb attachment.

That blow dryer in your picture is the type I used when I was relaxed. but I cracked that sucker in my hair about 8 months into my transition. No, not the comb attachment, I cracked the blow dryer. It just couldn't handle the Super4 Thickness.

Wow! Cracking blow dryers, eh? LOL. That's something serious. I really could see how that happens though. Our hair type is no joke! So once you band, do you airdry with no product in your hair, then once it's dry, you apply the heat protectant and chi serum?

I do apologize for all the questions, but I'm determined to get your levels :lachen: You guys are so helpful and encouraging :yep:

Mook's hair

Wow! Cracking blow dryers, eh? LOL. That's something serious. I really could see how that happens though. Our hair type is no joke! So once you band, do you airdry with no product in your hair, then once it's dry, you apply the heat protectant and chi serum?

I do apologize for all the questions, but I'm determined to get your levels :lachen: You guys are so helpful and encouraging :yep:

Actually no. When I air dry I do it in plaits. Overnight. But that is rare.
I do the banding when I intend to blow dry within a half hour of washing it.
I will usually squeeze and blot out excess water with a towel. Then I add the heat protectant as I do each section.

I will have to make a blow drying video soon. I don't have one yet.

Here is one that is helpful.
YouTube - LongHairDontCareLLC's Channel

fluffyforever

The advice I am giving is the best method for me. I too have tightly coiled ends when blow drying. My coils are also very small, smaller the the teeth of a small tooth comb, so definitely smaller than the teeth of a blow dryer comb attachment.

I found that using a very soft round boar bristle brush on the ends when blow drying helps to separate all the hairs better than any comb. I don't brush through the ends constantly, just roll them onto the brush, blow dry, then gently pull the brush down while still blowing air onto them.

This gets my ends straight enough that I can easily comb through with a small tooth comb to detangle one more time before flat ironing. I also flat iron with the brush instead of the comb - it provides more tension than a comb and still keeps the hairs better separated.

shunemite

I agree with the ladies advice. I am a 4b currently natural due to an unexpected BC. I just wanted to say that I used to have that blow dryer in your pic. It doesn't give you the tension you need, which for me was the big difference. It's also quite heavy, and the way it blows the air everywhere does dry hair faster, but it also blows the cuticles of your hair out instead of down, if that makes any sense. Raised cuticles will give your hair a rougher appearance and take away the sheen.

I would invest in a good blow dryer. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the generic Chi blow dryer I got is really light so I can hold it up. It also has a narrower nozzle so you can point the dryer down to lay your cuticles flat while you blow dry. For the first time I tried the tension method with a round brush. I was scared about losing a lot of hair, but I didn't drag and twist and really didn't lose hair. I suggest you try that.

I added a link on a tutorial on how to blow dry. She's NOT 4b, BUT she does a killer tutorial. YouTube - How to Blow Dry Part 1

Last edited:

AfroKink

I'm a natural 4B and I have success with the tension blow dry method. Are you sure all of the shed hairs are out? Sometime they can collect and curl on the ends. You might need to use a medium-toothed comb to help detangle and release shed hairs.

I wonder if rollersetting, then blow drying would help.
I've tried banding twice and it didn't get my ends straight...

Lady_q_tee

Some good advice already give, I co-sign with the fact that maybe your ends need a trim

Heres how I personally blow dry my hair /http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog3UBN1B7o

sweetlaughter

also, op are you sectioning your hair when you blow dry? I use a similar blow dryer but have not had a problem getting my hair straight (poofy straight) with it because I dry it in 6 sections. All in all it takes about 25 min to dry my whole head.