Is Reshma Henna BAQ??

Lava27

All I ever hear about is Jamila or henna bought from the many online retailers...but I was wondering about people's experience with Reshma henna. I just bought a box from the Indian store today, after seraching and failing to find Jamila brand. Specifically relaxed ladies because I know that we MUST use BAQ in order not to damaged our relaxer hair with henna. So is this brand BAQ? Anyone have good results with it???

tailormade84

i do not think it is. BAQ henna is henna that can also be used to do body tatts, and since RESHMA henna is only suggested for hair, i don't think it is BAQ.

usually when i am buying store henna i used this website as a guide to what is BAQ henna:
http://www.mehndiskinart.com/henna_powder.htm

but its possible its NOT a complete list.

On the plus side, many ladies have used this henna and have had no problems :)

vkb247

All I ever hear about is Jamila or henna bought from the many online retailers...but I was wondering about people's experience with Reshma henna. I just bought a box from the Indian store today, after seraching and failing to find Jamila brand. Specifically relaxed ladies because I know that we MUST use BAQ in order not to damaged our relaxer hair with henna. So is this brand BAQ? Anyone have good results with it???

The only reason why relaxed ladies are advised to use BAQ (body art quality) henna is because lots of products that say they are henna are actually something else or have harsh additive in them which can cause disastorous results when they react with other chemicals (relaxers, permanent dye, etc,)

So I don't think that Reshma is BAQ but is seems that plenty of ladies use it with good results. I think that your best bet would be to do a strand test.

bedazzled

Reshma is pure henna and I believe it can be used for body art. From what I was told just because it doesnt say body art quality doesn't mean you can't use it for body art. I'm guessing alot of us just look for the BAQ kind to assure us that its not compound. But I don't know ANY Indian store that sells compound henna, and Im sure if you got it from like an Indian Store you will be fine. But yes, Reshma henna you can use safely.

I actually have the Reshma brand. I've never used it however because there is no expiration date on it. I use Nupur henna.

baddison

natural for good
Reshma is pure henna and I believe it can be used for body art. From what I was told just because it doesnt say body art quality doesn't mean you can't use it for body art. I'm guessing alot of us just look for the BAQ kind to assure us that its not compound. But I don't know ANY Indian store that sells compound henna, and Im sure if you got it from like an Indian Store you will be fine. But yes, Reshma henna you can use safely.

I actually have the Reshma brand. I've never used it however because there is no expiration date on it. I use Nupur henna.

Do you have a picture of your Nupur Henna? I have an indian store in my local area, and there are soooo many boxes/brands of henna to choose from. There's even one in a green bag/pouch with indian writing on it, so I don't know if its Nupur. Would love to take a look at yours...:yep:

And does it color dark brown, or black??? I can't deal with the reds that I got from Jamila..

Last edited:

biancaelyse

I have used REshma henna and it works fine on my hair. I am not relaxed, but it gave the same results as the Jamila henna.

I'd suggest you try a strand test to see how it works on your hair.

coconow2007

I have used it and I am natural with no problems. I also find its ready to use shortly after mixing and deposit color well and quickly. Example: mix sits 1 hour ready to use - on hair for less than 3 hours I can see red highlights quickly on the same day. However, since I am not a fan of red hair I have to use indigo to tone it down.

Lava27

Thanks for replies ladies! Guess I have to do a strand test???

I have used it and I am natural with no problems. I also find its ready to use shortly after mixing and deposit color well and quickly. Example: mix sits 1 hour ready to use - on hair for less than 3 hours I can see red highlights quickly on the same day. However, since I am not a fan of red hair I have to use indigo to tone it down.

Hey...thanks for response....are you relaxed??

Platinum

:bump:

Can any RELAXED ladies answer OP's questions about this? I've only used Jamila so I can't answer.

mus_sweedi

I'm thinking of doing henna myself. I have been all over this board looking for info. I was going to go with reshma because I know I can get it in my area for cheap. I have a box of jamila my friend gave me, but I am worried I may not have enough.

Anyway I found a discrition of reshma here http://www.theindianfoodstore.com/reshma-henna-powder-7oz--200g-.html

Product Information

Reshma Henna is a pure, premium quality henna that is used for natural hair coloring and conditioning. No chemicals added and 100% pure. It is not intended for use on the skin. Reshma produces a dark brown color with stints of dark red.
HTH

baddison

natural for good
I'm thinking of doing henna myself. I have been all over this board looking for info. I was going to go with reshma because I know I can get it in my area for cheap. I have a box of jamila my friend gave me, but I am worried I may not have enough.

Anyway I found a discrition of reshma here http://www.theindianfoodstore.com/reshma-henna-powder-7oz--200g-.html

Product Information

Reshma Henna is a pure, premium quality henna that is used for natural hair coloring and conditioning. No chemicals added and 100% pure. It is not intended for use on the skin. Reshma produces a dark brown color with stints of dark red.
HTH

THis is great info! I just bought a 200g box of Reshma Henna at my local indian store.....yes I finally found one in parsippany, NJ....!! I only paid $3.29 for the entire box....yippee....and it will serve me many applications!:grin::grin:

Guess, I'll be henna'ing this weekend!!:yep:

baddison

natural for good
Ok....as promised....here's my update!!

FRIDAY NITE CIRCA 7:00PM
OK....so here's tonight's henna mix.

100g RESHMA henna
3/4 cup warm brewed coffee
1/4 cup Dabur Amla Oil
1/4 cup Aubrey Organics White Camelia Conditioner

Mixed to a smooth, creamy perfection. Parted my dry hair into 3 sections: 1 in the back, 1 on the left, 1 on the right.

Combed out todays sheds.
Began applying to the back section first. Finger-parting and applying henna mix from root to tip.

Wouldn't you know it....I RAN OUT OF HENNA. I thought 100g would be enough!! (...?has my hair grown?...)

OK, so did the best I could to get the rest of the head done with what was left...focusing on the roots first

Applied saran wrap, then a plastic shower cap, then tied with scarf. WHEW! All in under 25min. Got this thang down to a science!! Tomorrow morning, I will awake and rinse my henna out.

Good thing I henna again in about two weeks. Next time I'll use 200g and double the other stuff. I'd rather have too much than too little like tonite!

SATURDAY MORNING CIRCA 7:00AM

Rinsed out henna with warm water. (I kneel down beside my tub, and place my head under to faucet, resting my chest on the tub's rim. Such a comfortable position, and I can use my hand freely to massage the hair/scalp when needed.)
Between the oil, and the conditioner, this baby rinses out like a charm. I do not add ANYTHING to rinse, no cheapie conditioners needed. The hair is soo soft and moist from spending the nite with condish in it....mmmmmm. I simply leave me head under the faucet until the water runs clean. then I use my fingers to part the hair and scalp to make sure all traces of henna mix is gone.

Next I proceed to my regular Saturday Moisture routine...
1st wash ORS Creamy Aloe
2nd wash CON Green Label Moisture shampoo
DC w/heat 35min (AO/HSR, Mizani Hydrafuse, CON UltraMoisturizing, EVCO, Honey)

Seal everything with Dabur Vatika Coconut Hair Oil, put in a bun to air dry!!

This was a PERFECT henna day!!! My hair strands feel like strong fibers. Feels like I could use them to sew together & make a garment...LOL!

Can't wait to do this again in 2 weeks!!!

nikki2229

Ok....as promised....here's my update!!

FRIDAY NITE CIRCA 7:00PM
OK....so here's tonight's henna mix.

100g RESHMA henna
3/4 cup warm brewed coffee
1/4 cup Dabur Amla Oil
1/4 cup Aubrey Organics White Camelia Conditioner

Mixed to a smooth, creamy perfection. Parted my dry hair into 3 sections: 1 in the back, 1 on the left, 1 on the right.

Combed out todays sheds.
Began applying to the back section first. Finger-parting and applying henna mix from root to tip.

Wouldn't you know it....I RAN OUT OF HENNA. I thought 100g would be enough!! (...?has my hair grown?...)

OK, so did the best I could to get the rest of the head done with what was left...focusing on the roots first

Applied saran wrap, then a plastic shower cap, then tied with scarf. WHEW! All in under 25min. Got this thang down to a science!! Tomorrow morning, I will awake and rinse my henna out.

Good thing I henna again in about two weeks. Next time I'll use 200g and double the other stuff. I'd rather have too much than too little like tonite!

SATURDAY MORNING CIRCA 7:00AM

Rinsed out henna with warm water. (I kneel down beside my tub, and place my head under to faucet, resting my chest on the tub's rim. Such a comfortable position, and I can use my hand freely to massage the hair/scalp when needed.)
Between the oil, and the conditioner, this baby rinses out like a charm. I do not add ANYTHING to rinse, no cheapie conditioners needed. The hair is soo soft and moist from spending the nite with condish in it....mmmmmm. I simply leave me head under the faucet until the water runs clean. then I use my fingers to part the hair and scalp to make sure all traces of henna mix is gone.

Next I proceed to my regular Saturday Moisture routine...
1st wash ORS Creamy Aloe
2nd wash CON Green Label Moisture shampoo
DC w/heat 35min (AO/HSR, Mizani Hydrafuse, CON UltraMoisturizing, EVCO, Honey)

Seal everything with Dabur Vatika Coconut Hair Oil, put in a bun to air dry!!

This was a PERFECT henna day!!! My hair strands feel like strong fibers. Feels like I could use them to sew together & make a garment...LOL!

Can't wait to do this again in 2 weeks!!!

Baddison,
Are you relaxed? How often do you henna? Was this your first time using Reshma? Any adverse effects so far?

I bought 2 boxes of Reshma and I have been skeptical to use them, but seeing your post made me want to go ahead and do it tonight. Will post my opinions tomorrow.

michan

I'm natural and had been using Jamila (the one in the box) I just left the salon to get my hair pressed it started out as bsl hair now it is only apl she said the henna was making my hair too dry and she had to cut it but she didn't tell it was going to be several inches shorter. So now I'm back to square one. I'll be doing my own hair from now on. I'm done with stylists at this point. I will get braids and start over. Very said at the moment.

baddison

natural for good
Baddison,
Are you relaxed? How often do you henna? Was this your first time using Reshma? Any adverse effects so far?

I bought 2 boxes of Reshma and I have been skeptical to use them, but seeing your post made me want to go ahead and do it tonight. Will post my opinions tomorrow.

Yup! :yep: I'm relaxed. I currenly henna 2x's per month...every 2nd and 4th Friday. I love the strength and conditioning i get from henna. I've always used NUPUR, but this was my 1st RESHMA. I love them both!! I'm glad I have options. I like NUPUR better because it contains amla, bhringraj, and other herbs. The amla definiely makes the color darker auburn. By now, I am only getting darker and darker hues anyway, since henna builds up. Once I reach my maximum henna saturation, I think I'll scale back to monthly henna's.....we'll see...:spinning:

I still enjoy very mild protein treatments...since henna itself is plant, and not protein. I have absolutely NO adverse affects whatsoever. No breakage, no dryness, no excessive shedding outside of whats normal. I think a lot of it has to do with what you do to your hair AFTER your henna treatments. I simply baggy and moisturize regularly. I use Vatika Coconut oil sometimes in my overnite baggy....its awesome. I simply never, never get dry hair....hmmm.

Muse

I'm natural and had been using Jamila (the one in the box) I just left the salon to get my hair pressed it started out as bsl hair now it is only apl she said the henna was making my hair too dry and she had to cut it but she didn't tell it was going to be several inches shorter. So now I'm back to square one. I'll be doing my own hair from now on. I'm done with stylists at this point. I will get braids and start over. Very said at the moment.

What?! If the henna was making your hair too dry why didn't she just give you a good DC?:nono: Please don't go to this stylist again! The only way henna makes my hair really dry is if I don't rinse/wash it all out or in the beginning I was using hair quality Jamila and that did make my hair pretty dry after several uses, then I switched to BAQ Jamila and there was no dryness. Now I use Karishma and it's even better. I think henna is for everyone, you just have to know how to use it in a way that works specifically for you. I think your hair dresser was being a hater.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
THis is great info! I just bought a 200g box of Reshma Henna at my local indian store.....yes I finally found one in parsippany, NJ....!! I only paid $3.29 for the entire box....yippee....and it will serve me many applications!:grin::grin:

Guess, I'll be henna'ing this weekend!!:yep:

Too funny! I just got a box of Reshma Henna from a store in Parsippany NJ. Did you get it off of Route 46??:yawn:..Anyway, trying it for the very first time tonight. I've never tried Henna in my hair, so hopefully I get good results..We'll see.