Nioxin Vitamins causes shedding?

Kinkyhairlady

Hello ladies,

I have been using these vitamins for 4 months now and I have to say they are great as far as increase in growth is concerned but I have been having really bad shedding for about the same amount of time I have been taking them. At first I was blaming it on the relaxer then the rinse I put in my hair but I have done several treatments like aphogee, emergencee, alter ego over the course of these months and nothing has stopped it. Also I have not switched relaxers or stylist. I have stopped taking them for now to see what happens so I can make a final conclusion. I know many of the ladies here have been using this product with great results but has anyone noticed more shedding then usual but have blamed it on something else possibly? I really did not want to let these pills go because I have gotten so much growth and everyone has been commenting on how much my hair grew but little do they know it comes out when ever I even touch it. My stylist is also baffled because she is like your hair is growing like crazy but at the same time shedding like crazy and she has tried all she could. I did not tell her about the vitamins though. I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens. Any advice would be appreciated ladies. TIA

Nice & Wavy

Maybe you are in a shedding stage and its a coincidence that it started the same time as taking the Nioxin pills?

comike

Funny you should bring this up.....but I shampooed my hair last night and noticed that my hair was shedding a lot more than usual. I've been using the Nioxin vitamins for some time now and had stopped for about a month or so and recently restarted. I was thinking that the shedding was possibly due to the fact that I'd been wearing my hair in a ponytail for the last week but now I'm wondering if it has something to due with the vitamins. Although, my hair is so thick, I could use to loose a few strands!

Are you taking two a day?

MzOptimistic

I have been taking these vitamins for 5 months and I don't really get alot of shedding at all...let me know the outcome:)

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Wow, sorry to hear about your shedding. I've been using Nioxin (1 daily)since May and if anything, I've been shedding hair way less along with the other tecniques I've learned here. Have you had your iron levels checked recently? Iron deficiency is notorious for causing excessive shedding and I don't think Nioxin contains iron.

Kinkyhairlady

I only take one pill a day, and maybe it is a coincidence that is why I am going to stop for a while and see what happens. I do take a multi vitamin when I remember and that has iron in it. I go through shedding stages but not this bad. The last time my hair was coming out like this it was underprocessed, but that is not the case here at all. I've used different vitamins before and never had this problem so I am thinking that maybe the proprietory blend in nioxin is what is new to my system and may be having an adverse affect on me. I just hope this shedding stops cause it is really depressing me, my boyfriend can't even touch my hair without mad strands coming out in his hand and that is really embarassing. I am wearing my hair up from now on until this is resolved.

janiebaby

Ellis said:
I only take one pill a day, and maybe it is a coincidence that is why I am going to stop for a while and see what happens. I do take a multi vitamin when I remember and that has iron in it. I go through shedding stages but not this bad. The last time my hair was coming out like this it was underprocessed, but that is not the case here at all. I've used different vitamins before and never had this problem so I am thinking that maybe the proprietory blend in nioxin is what is new to my system and may be having an adverse affect on me. I just hope this shedding stops cause it is really depressing me, my boyfriend can't even touch my hair without mad strands coming out in his hand and that is really embarassing. I am wearing my hair up from now on until this is resolved.

Could you explain how hair becomes underprocessed?

Kinkyhairlady

janiebaby said:
Could you explain how hair becomes underprocessed?

Underprocessed meaning the hair did not ake the relaxer well. You can clearly see some parts are straighter then others. When this happened I had to go in and get the relaxer put all over my hair again this helped alot. Also I was natural for 5 years when I decided to get this relaxer so that may have been the reason why it did not take at time and I was burning.

Kinkyhairlady

Bumping, I know alot of ladies on here are using this vitamin, please let me know your experience as far as the shedding goes. I really don't want to let these go but if it is doing more bad then good then I will. Thanks

P

peacefulstrength

dang I was going to switch to this after finishing my gnc ultranurishhair. Now, I dont know anymore. Sorry about that.

taraglam2

I took NIOXIN Recharging Complex Vitamins daily last year and had no shedding problems at all. I took one Nioxin vitamin a day.

MrsHouston

Ellis, by any chance did you recently stop taking birth control pills or have you taken any medicine/surgery in the last 3 months. These situations usually cause shedding about 3 months after the fact.

angie10

I have only been taking it for only two months now, I haven't noticed extra shedding. But I'm glad you posted this, at least now I will know if that happens.

Kinkyhairlady

MrsHouston said:
Ellis, by any chance did you recently stop taking birth control pills or have you taken any medicine/surgery in the last 3 months. These situations usually cause shedding about 3 months after the fact.

No I have not been taking any meds and the only thing I actually did around this time was put a rinse in called radiance and I got a touch up. This is the only thing so the shedding definately started around the time I started these vitamins.

MoMo

I posted something about this back in October 2006 when my hairdresser, who recommended that I stop taking them, told me that they are not good. Well at the time, she never explained why and I had read so many good reviews about Nioxin that I continued to take them; plus I always received good growth from it. Back in February I went to see my hairdresser and she noticed that my hair was thinner and said to me, "you're still taking those vitamins aren't you?" I told her yeah and asked her what was wrong with them and she mentioned to me that there is no iron in them which is essential in keeping hair from shedding (hence the reason why post-partum shedding occurs because of the amount of blood loss during child-birth).

Kinda long but I thought that I would share this bit of information with you ladies. I'm not sure if this information is accurate but when I took hair vitamins with iron included, my hair flourished. Since I have been using Nioxin as my only hair vitamin, my hair has been getting thinner. I don't know but I started taking an additional hair supplement with iron included. We'll see how that goes.