AALIYAHS Hair Regimen (What do you think)

summerof1990

"She was printed on the cover of many Black Hair magazines throughout her career. Her hair length varied throughout her career, her hair was at its longest at the MTV VMA's in 2000. In the Black Hair Magazines, she explained that Relaxers/Perms broke off her hair, so she pressed, blow-dried, shampooed, & conditioned her hair every 10 days. She also took Vitamins & wrapped her hair nightly. & also she did add in extensions during tours, & music videos due to the stress put on her hair by constantly pressing it. People constantly get this confused though, when she added the extensions it only made her hair thicker, it was not added to achieve length. The Length was all hers. In the videos "Come Back In One Piece" & "Try Again" that's all of Aaliyah's real hair, just in case you want to see an example. & Also pictures from the 00' VMA's."

She did a lot of manipulating compared to me and still come out with hair like this. Her hair is so beautiful!!!NOT FAIR AT ALL. :lachen:

virtuenow

It looks like she has little broken hairs around her crown sticking up. I should stop beating myself up over my crown. Her hair always looked real, unlike some singers (like Beyonce) who always, always look fake

L.Brown1114

It looks like she has little broken hairs around her crown sticking up. I should stop beating myself up over my crown. Her hair always looked real, unlike some singers (like Beyonce) who always, always look fake

dont ever talk about beyonce! shes the air I breathe, she doesnt know me and doesnt care about me and only my money but i will stand up for her no matter what!! even when a stranger online comes at her!!!!!!!!

SIKE, i could give two craps about her lol. just giving you a taste of what your gonna get for saying that :lol:

virtuenow

dont ever talk about beyonce! shes the air I breathe, she doesnt know me and doesnt care about me and only my money but i will stand up for her no matter what!! even when a stranger online comes at her!!!!!!!!

SIKE, i could give two craps about her lol. just giving you a taste of what your gonna get for saying that :lol:

I'm not saying anything bad about her--just using her as an example. Most peoples hair looks fake w/extensions. I'm sure she spends alot on it and gets quality hair; it looks better than it used to. The point is, Aaliyahs hair was obviously real. No matter how much you spend, its hard to get the "real" look unless its just that (growing out of your scalp).

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I saw a pic of Aaliyah's hair blown out in preparation for styling during a shoot. She was horsing around with Damon Dash, and he had picked her up...her hair was huge and long and thick...she was laughing and looked happy. I sure do wish she was around today...she woulda been givin' Bey a run for her money, mos def.

ETA as for her regi, just sounds like she had a standard, heat-trained hair regi to me. My daughter has the same regi and her hair is BSL and growing...

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

i always thought she & her hair was beautiful. i had heard the same about her reggie. everybodies hair can take diffrent things in terms of heat, chemicals and manipulation. i miss her so much i think today is the anniversary of her death. ciara would been a non-factor if she was still alive.

Kurlee

lawd, she still is my hair idol. her and bubblinbrown way back when it was WL. :drool:

That pic just gave me motivation. I've been lazy with my hair this summer.

Lisa

She was beautiful and her hair was drool worthy but for some reason I don't think she would have blown-up. I think she would be in the same boat as Brandy and Monica (who else was big during this time and just disappeared). She had a nice voice but she didn't have a strong voice.

On the other hand her songs were catchy like Rhianna's so she may have been big but for some reason I just don't think so (Kanye shrug).

JJamiah

Ladies you are so right, if she was around today she would have been giving all these ladies a run for their money and I am a Beyonce and Ciara Fan but Aaliyah was well...AALIYAH :)

I still remember the call.... Telling me she died, I was in tears :(

summerof1990

I saw a pic of Aaliyah's hair blown out in preparation for styling during a shoot. She was horsing around with Damon Dash, and he had picked her up...her hair was huge and long and thick...she was laughing and looked happy. I sure do wish she was around today...she woulda been givin' Bey a run for her money, mos def.

ETA as for her regi, just sounds like she had a standard, heat-trained hair regi to me. My daughter has the same regi and her hair is BSL and growing...

i need to educate myself on heat training im will to do anything right now i get bored with doing the same thing. so...yall say heat training this and that but then others want to slap u on the hand for a flat iron im so confused.

HELP PAHHLESESSEE

westNDNbeauty

virtuenow
For some reason I don't think those are always broken hairs. Your hair grows at different rates all over your head. When shed hair falls out, that folicle doesn't stay bald forever, hair regrows. So that hair on your head that you think is broken can simply be an immature strand.

summerof1990

i like aaliyah but i think if she would of switch her style we wouldn't like her as much. aaliyah voice is melo soft and you know "true r&****" style.

These days r&b who is ran by beyonce lol is more of a diva speak out loud swag lol

i cant see aaliyah being compared to Beyonce because i couldn't see aaliyah strutting around in a mini leotard and swinging her hair and trust me thats what she was going to have to do to compete with beyonce.lol

i think she would have kept her style for her fans.

i would love to hear the "come over" and "i care 4 you" type of r&b these days.
i think r&b died when SHE died.

summerof1990

She was beautiful and her hair was drool worthy but for some reason I don't think she would have blown-up. I think she would be in the same boat as Brandy and Monica (who else was big during this time and just disappeared). She had a nice voice but she didn't have a strong voice.

On the other hand her songs were catchy like Rhianna's so she may have been big but for some reason I just don't think so (Kanye shrug).

With the upmost respect to AALIYAH. I think she would have layed her career to rest instead of competing with beyonce and u know come back every once in a while to remind her fans who she was like monica and brandy did. but i dont think she would have been beyonce level....but THEN AGAIN ..NO ONE knew aaliyahs potential..i never thought beyonce would be this big based off the No,No,No and Bills Bills Bills

I think aaliyah would have done more movies and did charitys and stuff. Or maybe even tv shows. lol what if aaliyah had her own reality tv show running right now if she was a live. I miss aaliyah

AALIYAH was a good representation of BLACK WOMEN.

summerof1990

i always thought she & her hair was beautiful. i had heard the same about her reggie. everybodies hair can take diffrent things in terms of heat, chemicals and manipulation. i miss her so much i think today is the anniversary of her death. ciara would been a non-factor if she was still alive.

yep bet had a tribute with timbalin and missy as usual mannnnn iloved her personality great representation

empressri

honestly..i used to think her hair was super long till i realized that the extra length was just tracks. there are ladies with much longer hair on this board. i do remember reading an interview in ym and she said she used a child's relaxer.

summerof1990

honestly..i used to think her hair was super long till i realized that the extra length was just tracks. there are ladies with much longer hair on this board. i do remember reading an interview in ym and she said she used a child's relaxer.

no the length is hers she added hair for thickness

loved

Aaliyah's length was hers. I still have all of the Sophisticate's Black Hair mags where she was on the cover. On the issue that came out after 1 in a million she said that she gave the back of her hair a break by getting it weaved but it was the same length as her own hair.

I remember that her hairdresser's presing technique included running a piece of silk down her hair after the heat.

somewhereinbtwn

I think I remember her saying on mtv diary that she weaved up her hair to give it a break from the heat when she was on tour.

lesedi

All is well with me
Aaliyah trumps all this mess that passes for artists nowadays!
Her hair is beyond beautiful as well....

londontresses

Aaliyah's length was hers. I still have all of the Sophisticate's Black Hair mags where she was on the cover. On the issue that came out after 1 in a million she said that she gave the back of her hair a break by getting it weaved but it was the same length as her own hair.

I remember that her hairdresser's presing technique included running a piece of silk down her hair after the heat.

loved Did they say what the purpose of this was?

Afrobuttafly

Aaliyah's hair was always enviable to me. Even looking at really old pics, she had a head full of hair. I remember the one where she was really young ans it was around APL I believe. It's not hard to see how she could make bsl and beyond as time went by.
I have a friend that has the nerve to say Aaliyah wasn't all that good looking. I was like

Aaliyah was beautiful is many ways and she wouldn't have to change a thing to "compete" with over the top divas in my opinion. Everyone has their own lane. She would have grown and advanced of course, but she would've still been mellow, can dance her butt off Aaliyah. Not everyone has to be a vocal powerhouse to be really huge (obviously). I call Aaliyah the black Selena and Selena the Mexican Aaliyah because their stories were both so tragic and had many similarities. I miss them both.

Mleah

Was that to place silk particles on the hair or just for smoothing?

Geminigirl

Sorry I have to disagree. Aaliyah was very beautiful and talented but I doubt she could put on a show like Bey. I mean all that twerking in the heels while singing, aalitahs rhythm was nowhere near Bey. But I loved them ponytails she had in the one in a million video. I remember watching her performance that live with her shiny black mane swinging down her back. I always loved her hair. Def had one of the healthiest real heads of hair.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using LG-LW690

ladylibra_30

Sorry I have to disagree. Aaliyah was very beautiful and talented but I doubt she could put on a show like Bey. I mean all that twerking in the heels while singing, aalitahs rhythm was nowhere near Bey. But I loved them ponytails she had in the one in a million video. I remember watching her performance that live with her shiny black mane swinging down her back. I always loved her hair. Def had one of the healthiest real heads of hair.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using LG-LW690

Beyonce is an impressive performer in that she does well with rehearsed numbers. She puts a touch of sexy energy on it but she dances too hard.

Aaliyah moves like fluid (Ciara/Usher/Ginuwine and of course the originator Michael J. all move this way) and seems to be the creator of routines and executes them well.

I compare Beyonce's dance scene in Baby Boy to Aaliyah's dance scene in Rock the Boat and Aaliyah dances smoooooooth over Beyonce.

Last edited:

doll-baby

I remember seeing her in concert back in 97 or 98 and when she came out on stage her hair was long and straight , by the time she left the stage she was sporting a huge type 3 something pouf .

Country gal

Alicia Keys is not a diva and sex goddess but she is still very popular. I think Aaliyah would of stayed in her lane and branched out more into film. She would not of fizzled out like Brandy and Monica because she was more popular than them during their time.

Naveah2050

Beyonce is an impressive performaner in that she does well with rehearsed numbers. She puts a touch of sexy energy on it but she dances too hard.

Aaliyah moves like fluid (Ciara/Usher/Ginuwine and of course the originator Michael J. all move this way) and seems to be the creator of routines and executes them well.

I compare Beyonce's dance scene in Baby Boy to Aaliyah's dance scene in Rock the Boat and Aaliyah dances smoooooooth over Beyonce.

I have to agree with this - I thin Bey is very flexible and has natural rythm but she is not in the same league as Aaliyah, the key difference being that Aaliyah probably could have done the dances that Beyonce does but Beyonce could never have danced like Aaliyah.

Back to the hair discussion - her hair was beautiful, to this day I have yet to see anyone else famous with such beautiful hair. I spent so long trying to work out if it was a weave :lachen: but if it was, I have yet to see anyone, even 10 years later with such a good weave so I am inclined to believe most of it was real....