Is it safe to leave a Deep Conditioner in your hair for a few days?

Solitude

I have a really weak part of my hair that, of course, loves deep conditioning. My question is, is it okay to leave DC in that part of my hair long term, like in between washings to protect it??

Also, does it matter what kind of DC? I use Garnier Fructis 3-minute (usally for 30 minutes w/ heat), Silicon Mix, and Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla. I also have OCT, but I don't think I would leave that in.

If you wouldn't leave a DC in that long, what is the longest that you would keep deep conditioner in your hair?

Thanks.....:grin:

wheezy807

I don't know about all that but i know you could rinse it out and just leave a little bit in. A cold water rinse will do that. HTH.

Luxurious12

I absolutely agree. If anything, just find a moisture locking leave-in conditioner that you can add in afterwards that can stay in for a while that won't cause too much build up and result in unwanted shedding.

Solitude

Thanks, ladies. I have to think it over a little more. I've heard people talk about over-saturating or over-moisturizing their hair, so I didn't want that or too much build-up, but this area is sooo dry.

I think I'll try to cold-water rinse.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I have left deep conditioner in my hair for up to 36 hours. It wasn't planned on, but for some reason I didn't have time to wash it out. Usually I dc overnight on dry or damp hair.

I have never had any issues with "overmoisturized/saturated" hair and I don't think that leaving a dc in for a few days on occasion will be bad for you. But, I wouldn't do it regularly. You should use a good leave in conditioner instead, which are designed to be...well, left in.

Dposh167

i don't think u really need to leave a DC on your hair for that long in order to see results. If that patch is too dry,even after a dc,then you'd wanna rethink your options on another DC....or find out the real problem behind it (that may not be the product).

vkb247

You say that part of your hair is weak? What do you actually mean by that?

When I thing of weak hair I think of hair that is breaking and needs protein to strengthen it.

I have left a dc (Elasta QP Dpr-11) in my hair for a whole week with a shower cap, scull cap, and a knit cap over it while out because I was in a dry climate, didn't know what to do to my hair, and was afraid of breakage. When I finally got home my hair was amazing! But I have coarse, strong hair that can take a lot.

Denise11

The only deep conditioners I would try that with would be Nexxus Humectress, and that's only because Humectress is also a leave in. The bottle says that you can use it either way. Other than that, I wouldn't play with my hair like that. You can overcondition and cause breakage. Just cowash more often if you need more moisture.

Solitude

You say that part of your hair is weak? What do you actually mean by that?

When I thing of weak hair I think of hair that is breaking and needs protein to strengthen it.

I have left a dc (Elasta QP Dpr-11) in my hair for a whole week with a shower cap, scull cap, and a knit cap over it while out because I was in a dry climate, didn't know what to do to my hair, and was afraid of breakage. When I finally got home my hair was amazing! But I have coarse, strong hair that can take a lot.

My definition of weak sounds like yours, it's breaking. I don't think it's damaged, but it's definitely in need of some TLC. I'm thinking that I may try to re-evaluate my routine first & if that doesn't work, I'll dry the DC.

The best moisturizer that I've used is Elasta QP mango butter. Elasta is some good stuff! :yep:

loveable37

dont do that ur hair will be OVER-MOISTURIZED easily to break
just like iwhen i do the BAGGIE METHOD it makes my ends so weak.

Last edited:

Marand13

I do it all the time! I have left a deep conditioner (actually every kind of conditioner) in my hair for long periods of time with no ill effects. I don't know why people are so afraid of it sometimes. If you keep your protein/moisture balance you should be fine. I have never gotten breakage from leaving in conditioner, in fact my hair thrives off of it.

I like to alternate with a moisturizing conditioner & a reconstructor when I feel the need...

Do what feels right for your hair.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I've left DC in my hair for days at a time with no problems. But I do have build-up afterwards. I've never done it intentionally either.

HoneyDew

I don't think it is unsafe.

But, my hair can take but so much conditioner.

Sometimes leaving it on for too long can make it less effective and the result is not the same. But that is just me.

Sometimes I get optimal results when I just condition for 15-20 with heat, or leave it on for and hour or 2 without heat.

chebaby

i deep condition overnight on dry hair. i would never leave conditioner on my hair for days at a time. seems pointless to me.

Globeleza

The longest I have left in conditioner was 1 day. I used to do alot of overnight DCing. I think after a day or so it will start getting hard and flaking up. Like some of the other ladies have said, if there are alot of good leave in conditioners out there that can be used that wont give you the build up. I had a damaged area the would just keep breaking off anytime it would grow a few inches. Overtime, by routine Deep conditioning with heat, the broken section grew back. Now it is just about the same length as the rest of my hair.

Aggie

The longest I'll leave a DC on my hair is for 24 hours only and I would only do that after a henna treatment to get the elasticity back:yep:. After a day for me, my hair would get too mushy but 24 hours is just right for my hair.

Aggie

That's not problem but the DC will stop working after the recommended time on the label.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/If-I-lea...air-better/FAQ_CONDITIONER_16,default,pg.html

But do like the first ladies said to do. Do a Deep conditioner and then seal it with cold water the Sabino Moisture Block...lol...learn more here

http://www.sabinohair.com/moisture-block.php

HTH

The bolded has not been the case for me. Sometimes it's necessary for me to leave my DC's on for far longer to get great results from them depending on why I'm using them. When I DC overnight, I use it like a baggy and put a plastic bag over my hair and it works 100% better for me, especially after henna.