Homemade moisturizers for relaxed hair???

leigh.hill

I have been searching for a daily moisturizers for my hair with no luck :nono:.

ORS Carrot Oil = Stinky oily looking dry hair
Cantu Strengthening Cream = Good smelling dry hair (and I wanted to like this product SOOOOOOO much)
KeraCare or Mizani (insert name of moisturizer here) = DRY HAIR
QP Mango Butter = DRIER HAIR
Carol Daughter Marguerite Magic = I don't even want to talk about it! :wallbash:

Some people have suggested a Qhemet creme, others said jojoba hair milk. Before ordering any products online, I am considering mixing my own moisturizer for daily use. I went to three BSS and I could have find a single product w/o mineral oil, petroleum, cones as a main ingredient, etc. Does anyone do this on relaxed hair with success?

taz007

Do you wear protective styles or do you wear your hair out?

I have mixed up my own moisturizer, but I have only have only used it on hair that is in a protective style.

Here are the ingredients:

Distilled water
Rose water
Aloe Vera Gel (food grade)
1/2 vial of Biolage Cerarepair Hydratherapie

I then seal with either Porange's mix or Mizani Nighttime H20

I have been using this while my hair is in cornrows for the last month and I noticed a HUGE difference in my hair's health.

I have also incorporatated a TON of ceramides.

I will try this mix on my straightened hair later today.

Solitude

Mango butter equals drier hair??? How is that possible?

I'm thinking that if all of these products make your hair drier, you hair might be damaged.

Sorry, I can't help with the homemade thing. I use mango butter and keracare. Maybe you could try HairVeda whipped ends. That's an all natural product, and I've heard good things about it - oh, and baggying with the mixture that taz describe above.

When I first started my healthy hair journey and was trying to push past SL, I constantly did protective styles, and I baggied under a phony pony.

leigh.hill

taz - I wear my hair out most of the time (neck length hair). I hear alot about this
rose water.

Solitude - I don't think my hair is damaged - I have been there before though - after I condition my hair it feels great, but when it dries...that's when I need help. The coconut oil helps some, but looking for alternate suggestions.

Thanks ladies.

PuddingPop

I understand what you mean OP. My relaxed hair gets dry and blah too when I try all that stuff. :nono:.

Ive tried almost everything. The moisturizers and leave ins that give everyone else soft shiny hair just dont work for me for some reason. The only thing that makes my hair soft and shiny are oils. My favs are Vatika oil or just plain coconut oil. I like Jane Cartes N&S too.

leigh.hill

I am thinking about using just straight oils too PuddingPop. I have the Jane Carter's N & S and I did not like it at first, then I melted it with some coconut oil (with some other stuff) as a prepoo and...:love:. Hummm I have to check out this v-oil that you mentioned. Its the second time I heard about it.

taz007

taz - I wear my hair out most of the time (neck length hair). I hear alot about this
rose water.

Since you wear your hair out, I would recommend the Mizani Nighttime H20. Make sure that you use VERY LITTLE. It works like a charm on relaxed hair! :yep:

leigh.hill

I used the Mizani product before and it did nothing for me....but I tend to be heavy-handed. Thanks for the tip!

ebaby

I recently relaxed after being natural and I have been using Kenra moist. conditioner. I also use a creamy moistu. and seal with jojoba oil or jbco and black seed oil. My hair is looking super shiny right now.

dachsies_rule!

I've used the Mizani Butter Rich moisturizer for e few months, it has coconut oil in it and no mineral oil or petrolatum. It was okay, but when i started mixing panthenol in it then :lick:

dachsies_rule!

Panthenol is provitamn to B5. It's a humectant and moisturizer. It binds to the hair shaft and is frequently found in shampoos and conditioners in low concentrations. It coats the hair and seals its surface lubricating the hair shaft and making the strands appear shiny.

Vintageglam

I just made a mix the other day with half a tub of Elasta QP Mango butter I had lying around. I had run out of H20 Intense and my local BSS which sells it no longer does (Mizani/ L''Oreal clamped down on them). So anyway I had to get creative and this is what I mixed together:

1/2 Tub Elasta QP Mango Butter
1 Teaspoon of Wheatgerm Oil
1/2 Teasoon of Jojoba Oil
1/2 Vial Matrix Biolage Cera Repair
1/8 Teaspoon Silk Amino Acid Powder
A tiny amount rosewater to thin out the consistency a bit

This stuff is nothing short of amazing and I avoided going out and buying a new product just by bootlegging what I already had in the house.

My hair :love: it and the moisturiser smells great bc of the scent of the Mango Butter. :lick:

leigh.hill

Great idea!!!!

I have been looking around and taking suggestions from this thread, so I may try a combo of (just like you, what I have on hand, plus some new buys):
Jojoba oil (new)
Vegetable glycerin (new)
Hot 6 oil (old)
World of Curls (gherri curl juice) (new)
possibly EVOO (old)
and possibly some of the QP Mango butter (old)

I am going to try tomorrow - At almost 13 weeks post relaxer I need something!

What does thea acid powder do?

KittyMeowMeow

rose water.

Solitude - I don't think my hair is damaged - I have been there before though - after I condition my hair it feels great, but when it dries...that's when I need help. The coconut oil helps some, but looking for alternate suggestions.

Thanks ladies.

Do you clarify & chelate? When I need to clarify, my hair feels great in the shower but then dries super dry. Buildup blocks any products from working, which might explain why nothing works.

exoticmommie

Coconut Oil works great for me, and I am loving the mizani rose h2o. As well as the Mizani Coconut Souffle Light Moisturizing Hairdress. I use the souffle more when I need something light. The Rose is heavier, and I use it more for bunning and etc.

frizzy

OP how is your porosity? Do you do ACV rinses or use Porosity Control?

You said your hair feels moisturized until it dries. Your cuticle layer may be damaged and letting all of the moisture out of your hair strands causing dry hair.

Angelicus

All of the products that you mentioned hate my hair. My hair doesn't even like shea butter too much. Here's all the "natural" stuff that works on my hair as moisturizing pre-treatments:

Mayonnaise
eggs (especially the yolk)
yogurt
oils (olive, coconut, peanut, etc)
honey
black tea as a final rinse (this makes my hair hold moisture better before styling)

I don't put a lot of stuff on my hair. I also don't moisturize my hair everyday. Because of me doing these pre-treatments, I barely need to moisturize my hair.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
My ends didin't feel moisturized no matter what I used until I started to seal in the moisture. Are you doing the same? I use QP mango butter every night and seal with castor oil (mix w/ vit. E oil). When my hair is towel dried I seal the whole thing lightly with castor oil. Been a staple for a year now :)

Hth!

blupeace

:nicethread: Thank you Leigh.hill for posting this question. I was wondering the same thing.

Last edited:

leigh.hill

UPDATE: I tried a new leave-in today (Giovanni) and I did the porosity as per your suggestions. My hair does feel better! I also put my "mix" on the NG, spread a little to the rest of my hair and I sealed when my hair was nearly dry (thanks for the suggestion keywarren). I almost picked up some castor oil yesterday too, but went for the jojoba oil and vegetable glyercin instead.

Miss AJ

leigh.hill, do you use a lye or no lye relaxer? if you use no-lye, check out the threads on ceramides.

leigh.hill

Uhhhhh - good question. My stylist uses Mizani for Color Treated Hair (even though my hair is not color treated). Would that be no-lye?

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I like Alba Botanicals Leave-In Conditioner. All natural, sulphate-free, paraben-free, silicone-free, and 100% vegan:grin:.

Very moisturizing, non greasy.

Nameless

How about water and a bit of jojoba oil as a daily moisturiser in a spray bottle. Or rosewater and jojoba oil? I want to make my own moisturiser instead of buying one. I normally use a liquid moisturiser anyway and it works fine for me but I'd like to read the opinion of someone who has used this homemade version before.