The Best Box or Home Perm/Relaxer For Sure

star

I am tired of having to wait get my hair relaxed when I really need it done. Where I live it is hard to find good hair dressers. So, I decided to have a back up plan while saving money like I did many years ago when young. I see there is soooo many box relaxers did not know where to start.

What is the best home relaxing kit for sure and briefly tell us why? Your opinions extremely are respected since I know this is the place for hair.

Thanks

I have been eyeing the following relaxers:

1. Dr. Miracle - since is black man he better know better
2. Silk Elements - it has silk protein and olive oil
3. Organic Root Olive oil - has a nice conditioniong after treatment for what I remember back in the day.

Last edited:

-Love Love*

I've been thinking about at home relaxing too. I've decided I'm gonna do the ORS because I've used it before. It was nice. I'm really scared though. I don't want my hair to fall out :(

star

I've been thinking about at home relaxing too. I've decided I'm gonna do the ORS because I've used it before. It was nice. I'm really scared though. I don't want my hair to fall out :(

Just take your time. I am going to do mine with gloves off so I can feel new growth and section hair in four sections while oiling my scalp with vaseline. I think if you use for senstive scalp you should be fine.

star

Without gloves? Will it hurt your skin?

I am hoping it won't but I will put little vaseline on my fingers and I will have a towel to wipe off excess after each application. I am only using my fingers in the beginning to feel growth but all smoothing of hair will be done with a comb after I apply the relaxer to whole head.

newflowers

If you like the relaxer your stylist uses, I would suggest keeping the same one. Even if it's one for stylists only, you should be able to find it online without much trouble.

I self relax with Phytospecific Index 2. I've been using this fo ryears with great results. From this site, I have learned about using the acv rinse to get to the white suds faster, using a silk protein mixed with the reconstructor which does wonders for my hair. I also do a deep protein and then moisture conditioning treatment the week before. It took me awhile to get over trying a thousand new things and find what works, but I did. Now, I relax every 11 - 12 weeks without a problem of breakage - all of the problems I used to have with my hair are gone, gone, gone and my hair is longer, softer, stronger, and healthier than it has ever been in my life.

If you've never relaxed before, read everything you can - there's a sticky here somewhere for the self-relaxers support, and Sista Slick has articles you can find here in stickies and online that will give you excellent information. If you choose not to use gloves, expect your nails to get dry, brittle, and break. Sally's has a brand of gloves called "Nimble Fingers" which fit the hand and make it easier to feel what you're doing, unlike the icky one size fits no one gloves that comes in relaxer kits.

Be careful, be informed, and good luck.

star

If you like the relaxer your stylist uses, I would suggest keeping the same one. Even if it's one for stylists only, you should be able to find it online without much trouble.

I self relax with Phytospecific Index 2. I've been using this fo ryears with great results. From this site, I have learned about using the acv rinse to get to the white suds faster, using a silk protein mixed with the reconstructor which does wonders for my hair. I also do a deep protein and then moisture conditioning treatment the week before. It took me awhile to get over trying a thousand new things and find what works, but I did. Now, I relax every 11 - 12 weeks without a problem of breakage - all of the problems I used to have with my hair are gone, gone, gone and my hair is longer, softer, stronger, and healthier than it has ever been in my life.

If you've never relaxed before, read everything you can - there's a sticky here somewhere for the self-relaxers support, and Sista Slick has articles you can find here in stickies and online that will give you excellent information. If you choose not to use gloves, expect your nails to get dry, brittle, and break. Sally's has a brand of gloves called "Nimble Fingers" which fit the hand and make it easier to feel what you're doing, unlike the icky one size fits no one gloves that comes in relaxer kits.

Be careful, be informed, and good luck.

Thanks for the tips I forgot about the Photyspecfic Relaxer. I remember reading threads about this relaxer in the past. I have been using Affirm at the hair dresser but wanted to try something else. I know Southerngirl also posted tips as well but thanks for reminding me of these relaxer tip threads. I will provide feedback.

vkb247

This is a little off topic but does anyone know of any lye relazers in a box? I swear that no-lye always comes in a box with it's neutralizing conditioner and stuff. The lye ones seems to come in the tub by itself. Am I imagining this?

star

This is a little off topic but does anyone know of any lye relazers in a box? I swear that no-lye always comes in a box with it's neutralizing conditioner and stuff. The lye ones seems to come in the tub by itself. Am I imagining this?

You are right. All the ones I saw a Sally's such as Revlon are just in the jar so I ignored those because I did not want to purchase items seperate. But, I guess people use there own stuff and just buy neutrilizing shampoo.

Last edited:

glamazon386

You're not. I think most of the time it is assumed that lye will be used by a professional in a salon. So it comes in a tub in a larger quantity by itself. And the stylist will have all the other products because they purchase them separately in larger size. Most no lye box relaxers are going to be used at home by the regular consumer so they come with the little bottles.

Caramela

I :love: Gentle Treatment. It always does the trick... either that or Motions (which everyone says doesn't straighten their hair, but it does great for me)

star

I have used this in the past and everyone here seems to really love it. I am looking forward to trying it.

Thanks!!!!

star

I :love: Gentle Treatment. It always does the trick... either that or Motions (which everyone says doesn't straighten their hair, but it does great for me)

THanks!! I have tried Gentle Treatment also in the past and like it. The problem now days for me is there are so many brands out there to choose from. I do remember needing a strong perm with the Motions brand.

star

You're not. I think most of the time it is assumed that lye will be used by a professional in a salon. So it comes in a tub in a larger quantity by itself. And the stylist will have all the other products because they purchase them separately in larger size. Most no lye box relaxers are going to be used at home by the regular consumer so they come with the little bottles.

I also saw the alot of the small jars at Sallys by themselves. The same size jar in the boxes but just filled to the top.

dcprdiva

One thing to keep in mind - if you have been going to the salon to get your hair done - the stylist has NOT been using a box relaxer. The box relaxers are usually NO LYE. I have seen people damage their head by switching. If you are going to relax at home, get Mizani, Motions, Silk Elements (with Lye) or any other salon quality relaxer.... don't get the box or you will need a stylist and some scissors.

star

One thing to keep in mind - if you have been going to the salon to get your hair done - the stylist has NOT been using a box relaxer. The box relaxers are usually NO LYE. I have seen people damage their head by switching. If you are going to relax at home, get Mizani, Motions, Silk Elements (with Lye) or any other salon quality relaxer.... don't get the box or you will need a stylist and some scissors.

Thanks I leaning on Silk Elements and maybe Mizani. I stretch my relaxers for 4 months so hair my be able to adjust to some changes.

i would not assume the original poster had a lye relaxer just because she used to get her hair relaxed at a salon. some stylists use no-lye relaxers aka sensitive scalp relaxers. the only way for the op to know what type of relaxer her stylist used it to ask.

star

i would not assume the original poster had a lye relaxer just because she used to get her hair relaxed at a salon. some stylists use no-lye relaxers aka sensitive scalp relaxers. the only way for the op to know what type of relaxer her stylist used it to ask.

This is good point because someone else made a similar statement. I got Affirm for sensitve scalp from my salon. I went to Affirm site to see if it was no lye or lye. The site does not say. Does anyone know for curosity sake?

gissellr78

I am tired of having to wait get my hair relaxed when I really need it done. Where I live it is hard to find good hair dressers. So, I decided to have a back up plan while saving money like I did many years ago when young. I see there is soooo many box relaxers did not know where to start.

What is the best home relaxing kit for sure and briefly tell us why? Your opinions extremely respected since I know this is the place for hair.

Thanks

I have been eyeing the following relaxers:

1. Dr. Miracle - since is black man he better know better
2. Silk Elements - it has silk protein and olive oil
3. Organic Root Olive oil - has a nice conditioniong after treatment for what I remember back in the day.

I use ORS and i Love it

glamazon386

This is good point because someone else made a similar statement. I got Affirm for sensitve scalp from my salon. I went to Affirm site to see if it was no lye or lye. The site does not say. Does anyone know for curosity sake?

It's Lye. I don't think Affirm makes no lye because it is strictly a salon quality product.

star

It's Lye. I don't think Affirm makes no lye because it is strictly a salon quality product.

Thanks again so I know I got two suggestion to be careful on switching to No lye from lye. I am glad you all share this going back and forth between lye and no lye because honeslty I did not know it could cause a problem.

Thanks to everyone for help keeping me from making careless mistakes.

affirm does make a no-lye relaxer. it's the sensitive scalp relaxer that has to be mixed with an activator. other salon brands have no-lye relaxers too. mizani, essations, design essentials vitale pro all make no-lye relaxers.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Profectiv is the best, in my opinion.

Not the touchup one, but the regular one.

I do have to use my own conditioner though, but is fine with me.

glamazon386

affirm does make a no-lye relaxer. it's the sensitive scalp relaxer that has to be mixed with an activator. other salon brands have no-lye relaxers too. mizani, essations, design essentials vitale pro all make no-lye relaxers.

Thanks. I wasn't 100% sure. I thought they all had to be mixed with activator though? I buy my mother Affirm and it comes with activator stuck to the bottle. They have maybe 5 or 6 other ones in the store that come with it too. I usually buy her the dry itchy scalp one but we've used one of the others. I think it was a moisturizing one.

My stylist said there are two different types though. One where you have to mix a single application and one that comes in the tub. I guess it's pre mixed but he said he does not recommend that one because relaxers are not a one size fits all thing. I had affirm used on my hair before and it made it stick straight and stringy.

ETA: I just looked on the website and there is one listed with Guanidine Hydroxide which is NO LYE. It's the sensitive scalp from the Affirm Conditioning relaxer system. All the rest of Affirms relaxers including the Fiberguard relaxer line (with the 6 different formulas), and the other two (Original and Control) in the Affirm Conditioning Relaxer System are sodium hydroxide which is LYE.

Last edited:

CICI24

Yes there is a lye box relaxer. PCJ for delicate hair, this is the one I use. It is very mild you can leave it on for a while without worrying about overprocessing. If you have fine hair this may be a better choice. I actually tried ORS no lye a while ago but wasn't impressed with the results(dry hair). I 've tried Silk elements mild for about 1 year and over time my hair started to thin it was too strong for my hair.

Demi27

MY recommendation is Silk Elements. I LOVE this stuff. I just used it for the first time last week. I have used ORS (Lye) as well and I loved that one too...UNTIL I got the Silk Elements. My hair has NEVER felt so smooth and silky. I didn't even keep it on that long. I have washed my hair this week and it STILL feels soft and smooth. I didn't even use the rest of the products with it. I only used the relaxer and the neutralizing shampoo.
That's just my take on it. I would try ORS or the Silk Elements, but I would recommend Silk Elements.

Let us know what you decide. :)