Conditioner after a relaxer

cabosquad

Hi everybody
I'm new here and I was wondering if you do a conditioner after a relaxer (before neutralizing) should it be a protein conditioner or a deep conditioner? Is the hair mayo ok? And if you do this how long do you leave it in? Has anybody done this and did you have good results?
And what about the oil you put in a relaxer? What oils do you use and why do you use it? I know I have a lot of q's but i really like to know
thank you for your answers

sweetcocoa

I would use the conditioner that is recommended by the maker. For example Moitons recommends the Moisture Plus Conditioner before nuetralizing. As far as oil in the relaxer I haven't done it by others have. You may want to do a search on that one. Hopefully someone who does will post.

Crystal

I use Mizani Relaxer so after I relax, I neutralze and then I wash once with Mizani Botnifying and then I sit under a heat cap for about 45 minutes with Mizani Moisturefuse... Then about three days later, I use a clarifying shampoo and then deep condition with a protein conditioner... it's usually Hair Mayo but this time I went with Bone Marrow and I liked the results.

Crystal

I keep hearing about this Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructer... sigh.. I guess I'll have to put that on my "to buy" list also....

Spagirl

I use and really love Affirm Positive Link conditioner (the absolute bomb) since I'm using the Affirm relaxer. I plan to use the 5 in 1 reconstuctor with my next touch up I hope it's as good.

Has anyone tried them both? I would love to know what kind of results you got with the 5 in 1. TIA!

myco

I used the Positive Link for my touchup in February and the 5 in 1 for my touch up in May. I personally prefer the 5 in 1. To me, the consistency and the way that it spread throughout my hair was better. After I rinsed, my hair felt better with the 5 in 1 than it did with the positive link. It felt strong as well as moisturized. But, I think it also comes down to each person. My mom's beautician recommended the positive link to her so I just gave her my jar. Her hair has responded really well to it.

pebbles

I always do a protein conditioner after a relaxer. I use the Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor, and I follow that up with a moisturizing conditioner like Keracare Humecto. I currently use the Elucence relaxer, but the best time to start to restrengthen the hair strands is right after the relaxer. I usually do it after I use the neutralizing shampoo, but it can be done before the neutralizer as well.

daviine

Generally speaking, the conditioner should have a low pH so that it can start the neutralizing process. (I think)

If you can find a protein/reconstructor with a low pH I would use that.

carmella25

Well After I washed my relaxer out. I wash my hair with suave lavender conditoner mixed with glycerin twice the I shampooed with sebastian cleansing shampoo the i wash with the conditioner again and then the shampoo. then I deep conditioned with le kair mixed with mayo for an 1hr

myco

I don't mean to hijack Caramella's reply, but make sure that you use a neutralizing shampoo. Applying the conditioner after the relaxer allows it to penetrate to condition and rebuild your hair because the cuticle is still open. But the conditioner is not enough to stop the relaxing process. My mother got her below bra strap length hair relaxed when she was 20, and she said that she doesn't remember the lady neutralizing her hair. She had never had a relaxer before, so she didn't know any better. Needless to say, all her hair broke off. Now that she's older she doesn't want long hair, but it still makes her mad that it was done wrong the first time.

jellynote

I use Affirm relaxer also and right after I rinse relaxer out I use the 5 n 1 which is really great by the way then you neutralize and then after that I use a moisturizing conditioner.

Yarnie

Hey cabosquad, i noticed your flag, you are originally from CV as well...
welcome to the board! You didnt post your current location... I know, i'm nosy

As for you question, I only condition after I neutralize... and I use Moisture Plus Conditioner by Motions.

AMBERSKYE

After the neutralizing shampoo, I deep condition with Miss Key
10 en 1 Conditioner (mixed with a hint of almond oil)(Dominican)
or Profective Deep Penetrating Conditioner (Dominican) or LeKair Cholesterol (peach)

*I always use leave-in conditioners afterward (roller-sets)*

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
I plan to use the 5 in 1 reconstuctor with my next touch up I hope it's as good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does any anyone know if the Positive Link Conditioner can be use after the 5 in 1 reconstuctor and neutralizing shampoo as a moisturizing conditioner?

cabosquad

thank you all for your replies

I think that when I do my touch up I'll do the hair mayo for like 5 min, use the neutralizing shampoo and then again the hair mayo but then like for 30 min(or do you think it is unnecessary?

Or should I leave it longer than 5min the first time?

hey Yarnie I live in Belgium (it's not near Portugal unfortunately)
But I'm glad their is another Cabo on the board

Yarnie

[ QUOTE ]

hey Yarnie I live in Belgium (it's not near Portugal unfortunately)
But I'm glad their is another Cabo on the board

[/ QUOTE ]

azul11

I wanted this process done but the lady got confused with what i was saying and put the conditioner after the neutralizer. I dont know how I will find a place to do this. God bless you all.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I plan to use the 5 in 1 reconstuctor with my next touch up I hope it's as good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does any anyone know if the Positive Link Conditioner can be use after the 5 in 1 reconstuctor and neutralizing shampoo as a moisturizing conditioner?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump.

Also I just read the professional instructions that came with the 4lbs tub of Affirm Conditioning Relaxer System and much to my surprise I read this:

[ QUOTE ]
Step 3 5 in 1 reconstructor and/or Positive Link Application

Saturate hair with:
*Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor if hair is fine or limp; Positive Link if hair is medium or coarse; 5 in 1 Reconstructor and Positive Link , in half and half mixture if hair is slightly damaged.
* Wait 5 minutes and rinse hair well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone ever tried the half and half mix? And do you think I will still need to follow up with a moisturizer?