Flexi Rod Set VS. Rollerset

Rollerset vs FlexiRod Set?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theLovelyStyle

Which one is better to you in terms of

Difficulty, Time it takes to do, Time it takes to dry, Curly definition, Curl Lifetime, and Products necessary

Your Cheeziness

Difficulty - tie: both take practice, but are easy to get the hang of
Time it takes to do - depends on the size of the rollers/rods
Time it takes to dry - tie
Curly definition - flexirod
Curl Lifetime - tie: pincurl with little to no product to maintain the curl
Products necessary - tie: Leave in and serum

Satya_R

Hi, longtime lurker here...Finally decided to join in on the party.

I'm not really sure which category perm rods fall into - but I use and prefer them over traditional magnetic rollers. Mostly because I don't have the patience to perfect the process on my natural hair. I also braid the roots of my hair, because again I'm a lazy bum when it comes to styling lol.

Difficulty - Easy
Styling Time - About 1hr -1hr 15min
Drying Time - Overnight ( I'm a strict air dryer )
Curly Definition - Great! Nice, soft and bouncy hold so far. I plan on experimenting with different setting lotions, ones with more natural ingredients.
Curl Lifetime - My actual curl lifetime is about 5-7 days at the most, around the end of that duration the curls start looking a little dull and smushed. Whenever the curls have run their course I separate and fluff for a big curly fro look.
Products Necessary - I currently use Creme of Nature Argan Oil Foaming Wrap Hair Lotion. I really like it but I'm not crazy about the ingredients as I'm trying to transition into using mostly natural hair products.

HTH

Which one is better to you in terms of

Difficulty:EASY!!!! Time it takes to dry: Not long, about 20 min. Time it takes to dry: About 45 min-1 hour. Curly definition: A lot! Curl Lifetime: At least a week, maybe 10 days and Products necessary: Same as a rollerset.

Last edited:

GraceV

Thanks for this thread OP it is right on time for me. I just bought a pack of Flexi-rods and I started practicing with them. For some reason mine won't bend and STAY in place. This is starting to get as frustrating as learning to roller set. I'm not sure how to break them in.

theLovelyStyle

Thanks for this thread OP it is right on time for me. I just bought a pack of Flexi-rods and I started practicing with them. For some reason mine won't bend and STAY in place. This is starting to get as frustrating as learning to roller set. I'm not sure how to break them in.

Yes I too am thinking about trying flexis as well. I am going to the BSS today to grab some.
Are your flexi rods too stiff? Maybe bending them around before you use them might help. Let me know how you break them in.

ilah

I did more rollersets when I was transitioning. I prefer the flexi-rods.

Difficulty - Easy especially after the 2nd time :)
Time it takes to do, - about an hour
Time it takes to dry - I always slept on mine so not sure...
Curly definition - Was a beast - from root to tip it was super cute
Curl Lifetime - Only a few days - 4 at the most after that curls started to drop and get smashed.
Products necessary - I always used the ORS olive oil wrap

iri9109

flexirods are easier to use. i prefer the look and longevity of rollersets, but i dont know how to do them so if someone can do it for me i would prefer a rollerset, but if i have to do it myself then flexirods.

LushLox

I find both rollersetting and flexis rod application very easy. I often use flexis to maintain the smoothness of my hair after a rollerset. The curls last much longer when I use flexis but if I had to choose between one of the two it will always be the rollerset. The overall look is better imo.

darlingdiva

For the most part, I've only done rollersets on dry, flat-ironed hair.

I don't find flexi-rod sets or rollersets difficult.

Flexi-rod sets are quicker for me.

I like the curl definition of both. Standard rollersets give tighter curls and flexi-rod sets give looser curls.

I get more curl lifetime from standard rollersets.

There is no difference in the amount or type of products necessary for my rollersets and flexi-rod sets.

Fhrizzball

I use permrods so I don't know if that counts. I do twist and curls and not on loose hair so I don't know if that disqualifies me as well. I for the life of me can't seem to get the hand of flexrods and rollersets take too long.

Difficulty: easy for me
Time it takes to do: I do twist and curls so it takes longer than average on medium-small twists. I usually watch movies while doing so it doesn't seem as long
Time it takes to dry: I airdry so forever and a day. I usually sleep in them though if you have a hooded dryer or even a portable one that would speed things up.
Curly definition: Intense and shiny
Curl Lifetime: A week at minimum
Products necessary: I find end papers a must as permrods can be damaging if not careful. I also use shea moisture line and EVCO, and grapeseed oil on me. Setting lotion is not necessary for me.

bebezazueta

I voted rollerset. I have more versatility when I pincurl my curls. I can do large pincurls for a beach wave or small pincurls for a curly look. Below are pics of styles from the same rollerset. Day 2 was the beach wave and day 3 was the tight curls.

Day 2 - beach waves

Day 3 - curls

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Difficulty: Rollersetting was waaay more difficult for me to learn. There were times when I just gave up and put my hair in a wet bun. Flexirods were pretty simple.

Winner: Flexirods

Time it takes to do: Rollersets are more difficult for me, so they take more time.

Time it takes to dry: Flexirods take forever to dry because there are so many little rubber rods clumped together on your head, so there's hardly any room for air flow.

Winner: Rollersets

Curl definition: It's not even a competition.

Curl Lifetime: Another no-brainer

Products necessary: I use the same for each one: Leave-in and serum

Winner: Tie

Overall winner: Flexirods. :D

ETA:

Some old pitchas of my relaxed days.

Coupla days old flexirod set:

Fresh rollerset:

As you can see, the flexis rule when it comes to curl definition and longevity.

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.

I learned that you have to bend them in the opposite direction that you curled the hair. So if you twirled the flexirod up, you would bend the ends down.

Hope that makes sense. :grin:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Dang. Looks like a trip to the BSS for a set of flexirods is in order, unles...

Naturals: how are you liking the curls with on your natural 'fros? Curious how they would turn out a 4c...

FoxxyLocs

I love flexis. I cannot rollerset my own hair. I have spent 8+ hrs trying to rollerset and it came out looking like a light blow dry.

I can set my hair on flexis in about 90 min. Dry under the dryer for another 60-90 min, and then air dry overnight.

Also, flexis are easy to use on damp or dry hair, and they're good for curling pressed hair too.

Flexis do cost more than magnetic rollers, and not very many come in a pack, so if you have a lot of hair you'll need more. I just buy a few packs at a time until I have a still set of each size. I have the skinny ones all the way up to the jumbo size.

GaiasDaughter24

@GraceV -Did you wash them with soap and water first?

Last edited:

LiftedUp

Rollerset.

It's faster in terms of doing and drying and though the curl definition is better with the flexirod set, it's easier to maintain with a rollerset.