S.O.S. Breakage along my part

PennyK

Excuse me if this has already been explained, but I'm having trouble with the hairs where I make my part. A lot of them are short and broken off (they stick straight up when I flat iron my hair) and it seems like no matter what I do I can't get them to grow in with the rest of my hair :perplexed I don't want to switch my part, because I feel like the hairs in the new part will end up the same way.

Any advice concerning this is welcomed :look:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Your hair cannot repair itself. Repetition causes stress to your hair strands. Doing the same part over and over again will cause breakage due to the stress that you are putting on the same spot on your hair when you go to part your hair. You have to switch it up or else you will continue to suffer from breakage where you part your hair.

PennyK

ms-gg thank you. I guess my next hurdle is deciding where I should part my hair from now on and what to do with my bangs. My hair is most stubborn :ohwell:

Solitude

Not all short hairs are breakage...they may be new hair growing in. Here's an article from CurlyNikki.com about how to determine whether the shorter hairs are breakage or hairs just beginning the growth cycle. Breakage or New Hairs? - Natural Hair Tips

I'm stubborn about my permanent part, so this is something I researched a while ago. There's nothing wrong with changing it up, though.

PennyK

Solitude thank you for the article. More understanding of the situation is sure to help and I've heard that this chick is really good at what she does and knows what she's talking about.

Stand under good light and look to see if the ends of the short hairs are tapered. If they are, they probably are not breakage. but instead just new hair growing in. If they look blunt, then most likely they are breakage.