Sea Breeze for Smelly Braids and Weaves

How many of you used sea breeze or some other type of antiseptic in you hair to avoid

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I normally wouldn’t suggest it but I really wanted to help this lady.
Okay here’s the story. I was at Sally’s satisfying my product junkie addiction and a lady walks up to me and asks me what weave hair to use. I told her I wasn’t sure I have only had a weave once in my life, but I knew where they kept the hair at. So walk over to the area and pointed to the hair. Next, she asked me to help her match the color. At that point I turn and saw the nastiest hair I have EVER seen. The weave was falling out and it smelled like feces and she had caked in dandruff. I almost lost it ladies, I almost lost it. I stepped back grabbed the color I thought closest matched her color and suggested that she ask a sales associate for help and walked away. You will never understand the trauma I experienced. After I left the store I remembered years ago when I was getting my braids done, A lady suggested I use sea breeze and cotton balls to avoid washing my hair and ruining my braids. I’m over this bad behavior but since she obviously wasn’t going to wash her hair, I think I would have suggested she try this idea had I remembered.

HoneyDew

I would not substitute it for washing, but it is good in between washes. It has alcohol so you have to be careful with it because it can be drying.

crlsweetie912

I have done this often. theres a product, let me go look for it. But I would oil my scalp well afterward. It was common practice when I was a cosmetologist.

here it is. I used to use this when I got micro's a long time ago. It worked really good for me and the nozzle made it easy to apply!

isioma85

I clean my scalp and braids/cornrows of sew in weaves with cotton balls soaked in witch hazel. It's alcohol free but has astringent properties. You can get it at CVS for like $1.50, and you can dilute it if you want. I usually moisturise right after.

It's not a substitute for washing, it's just something you can do more often to prevent scalp fungus and 'funk'. There are times when you just cannot wash your hair right at that time, but you know you have to clean it. This makes it convenient to do that.

That description of the caked on mess just made me feel ill.:crazy:

The Girl

Yes when I had micros/zillions I did this all the time and then I would apply this sulphur 8 grease mix to my scalp...I know now that was the best moisturizer but hey:perplexed

Nita81

Ewwww@ that description ! I have a sew-in and I wash my hair once a week and do an ACV rinse every 2. I personally do not like the idea of using sea breeze.

isioma85 said:
I clean my scalp and braids/cornrows of sew in weaves with cotton balls soaked in witch hazel. It's alcohol free but has astringent properties. You can get it at CVS for like $1.50, and you can dilute it if you want. I usually moisturise right after.

It's not a substitute for washing, it's just something you can do more often to prevent scalp fungus and 'funk'. There are times when you just cannot wash your hair right at that time, but you know you have to clean it. This makes it convenient to do that.

That description of the caked on mess just made me feel ill.:crazy:

Okay the witch hazel is a new idea.

MrsHouston

I like to co-wash my braids. I use a spray bottle with water and conditioner,then rinse in the shower. You can also use leave-in conditioner and not rinse out. The smell of the conditioner stays with my braids for days.

LocksOfLuV

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
Okay the witch hazel is a new idea.

My aunt cleansed my scalp with Listerine (the mouth wash). She said she worked at a nursing home and some of them were bed-ridden and they were required to add listerine to the scalp to cleanse it. She did it to mines and the feeling was phenomenal!!!

CaribbeanQueen

metalkitty said:
Geez, hearing that makes me sad...

Why?:lol: if the lady can afford weave, she can afford shampoo...

I tried the sea breeze thing years ago but it didn't work for me, just made my scalp tingly at first then even more itchy later...

Washing is always best and when the weave starts to poof too much, its time to take it out.

IrisDaVirus

metalkitty said:
Geez, hearing that makes me sad...
Hearing that grosses me out. Damn. :lol:

I have used Sea Breeze and ORS Herbal Cleanse to refresh my scalp when I wore braids. But I still shampooed when necessary, which was about every two weeks for me. There's no way in hell I'd wear a braid style that can't be shampooed.

Last edited:

Chanteuse

I have weave in now and I went to my hairdresser to get it washed. Her technique was interesting. She washed my hair with regular shampoo first, then squirted seabreeze in between my parts and let it sit for a while before rinsing it out and conditioning it (my real hair). She didn't tell me what she was using but I could tell it was seabreeze by the smell. She had it in a bottle with a nozzle on it which allowed her to get it right on my scalp. It gave my scalp a really clean feeling. I think using seabreeze is a great supplement to washing you hair and scalp b/c it allows you to really get the scalp clean which you can't always do if your just washing with shampoo alone.. However, I don't think that scrubbing your scalp with seabreeze on a cotton ball is suffucient enough to be used as a replacement for washing. HTH

chayil0427

navsegda said:
LMFAO@"smelled like feces"

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: Ok...that's sooooooooooooo sad, but it's sooooooooo funny. Wow...I've been in situations where I wanted to whip out my LHCF book of tips and tricks as well. I was in sally's once and a lady came up to me asking for something to make her hair thicker....I duevenwannaask what she had on her head...but I must say at least it didn't smell like feces. Oooh wee...girl ...that's halarious.

Chayil