Castor Oil SMELL!

mamauv2

Look, I really REALLY want to use my castor oil, but it stinks.:ohwell: I have an exceptional reaction to it because I drank some to induce my labor once :lachen:(hey, had to get her OUT) and now I can NOT tolerate the smell. Does anyone know of a particular brand that doesn't smell so...castor oilish?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Mine dosen't really have that much of a smell. It dosen't bother me at all. I use the kind from Wal-mart. Maybe you could add some scented oil to it.

MizzBrown

What kind do u have? The Jamaican black castor oil or the clearish, yellowish regular one?

My black castor oil has no bad smell. Just smells kinda smokey. The regular one stinks to me too and i threw it away.

RieB81

I read that the ancient egyptians used to mix Sweet almond oil with their castor oil to make it easier to spread and to make it smell more pleasant. Maybe you can try it.

BostonMaria

I was just thinking about posting this! The Jamaican Black Castor Oil that I have smells kinda like cigarettes!

Oh good I'm not the only one that hates the smell. I hate Jamaican Black Castor Oil and will never buy it again. I gave mine away. I thought it smelled smokey, like if I had burned food or something LOL :grin:

Oh and I buy my castor oil at Walgreen's in the laxative aisle for less than $5 a bottle. Yeah its nasty but God knows I've put horse stuff and vajayjay cream on my scalp so this can't be THAT bad!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
^^See, that's the stuff I have...I can NOT take it...:nono:
Hmm, maybe it's because i've been using it for so long that I'm immune to it, lol. I only notice a faint smell....I even use it on my face sometime:look:. I know that's probably gross to you, lol but it's good for breakouts.

.....but yeah, try a scented oil of some kind. I hear peppermint covers most everything.

isawstars

you think castor oil smells? i don't think it smells. in fact, it smells like nothing compared to MTG and Wild Growth Hair Oil :lachen:

Leeda.the.Paladin

I buy mine from Walmart or Kroger and I never really noticed a smell. I think I will be skipping the Black Castor Oil if it smells so terrible.

winnettag

I got some from Rite Aid that says odorless and tasteless.
I don't smell a thing but my mom says she can smell it faintly.

JDandBeyond

I think it is the Jamaican or "Black" castor oil that smells. My mom used to get the real deal from JA and put it in my hair and I remember HATING the experience. The smell was tough and it was so sticky but it worked. I purchased some black castor oil last week and the minute I opened the bottle the smell took me back. I only use it at night. The smell is horrible but by the morning I don't smell it anymore. I also mix it with other oils for sealing. It doesn't make the smell disappear but it helps with the consistency.

Chasity

So..The Castor oil that you can use in your hair is the one that most of us have tried to take to induce Labor(Did not work for me, she stayed in another full week:nono:)..I threw mine out but I am going to buy more to use on my hair and I have so many scented oils to add to it!!

mamauv2

So..The Castor oil that you can use in your hair is the one that most of us have tried to take to induce Labor(Did not work for me, she stayed in another full week:nono:)..I threw mine out but I am going to buy more to use on my hair and I have so many scented oils to add to it!!
YES and there's NO getting rid of that nostalgic feeling when I smell it. I also hate the lingering smell of ALOE VERA JUICE. I mixed it with some other stuff and sprayed it on my kinkies 3 days ago and I STILL smell it:wallbash:...it's horrible.

Ok, so what I'm gathering is that the regular Castor oil doesn't smell all that bad? I guess I will try that then because there ain't no way I can keep using the JBCO and be walking around with my hair smelling like cigarettes. UGH..Wow, another product that I wasted money on..

Last edited:

loulou82

Neither my castor oil nor my aloe vera juice smells. Maybe my noise isn't sensitive but I use both every day. The castor oil is cold-pressed and from Whole Foods, the aloe vera juice is food grade and I mix it with water and conditioner to spray it on my hair.