Hip Length 2011!! Let's do this!!

SHEANITPRO

SHEANITPRO
Your hair is BEAUTIFUL. Why do you want to cut it? It looks healthy from this side of my computer

Thanks! I am happy it is very healthy. What annoys me though is the lead hairs. The picture below is pre-relaxer in late January of this year.

Once relaxed back then of course there was more length (siggy pic), but I just dislike the lead hairs being see-thru, and have been thinking of cutting to about two inches past where the line is, it would be further down in length now since this is an older pic.

I feel like I now have about 6 inches of lead hairs, but they are thickening at the ends. Not sure if cutting 6 inches of lead hairs would classify as a cut or trim...I just want more uniformity, but it might set me back on my "hip length" timeline.

The irony is that in my siggy pic, after the relaxer back in January...my hair looks as if its been trimmed...it hadn't. :perplexed

I guess when I relax later today or tomorrow morning, I'll view the progress and go from there.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Mixing up my henna for tonight. Indigo in the morning. Finally. I have grays sneaking up in my hairline thinking they're unchecked. Naaaah. I'm on it!

@brg240 Gotta say it again! Your hair is gor-or-or-jus!!! Gotta have a talk with my hair to see if it will agree to look like THAT! :lick:

Dee Raven

Hey you guys, I have to do a product rave. I am so happy. I was watching the glamtwinz youtube video the other day, they seemed to have hair like mine and one of the items they are using to flat iron is a gloss serum. I've never used one of those while doing my hair so I thought I'd give it a try. I bought Smoothing Shea Butter by Organix. Now, just some background, I have hair that loves, loves, loves to be tangled. Even when I would get it straightened at the salon, bone straight, if I would leave it out for 5 minutes it would be full of tangles. Well, after using this product I don't get any tangles. It's amazing. I was just out all night, with my hair down and then later in a side ponytail, and my comb caught just barely 2x. 2!! Around my whole head. I just can't believe it. I'm so happy I had to come in and tell you guys.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Hey you guys, I have to do a product rave. I am so happy. I was watching the glamtwinz youtube video the other day, they seemed to have hair like mine and one of the items they are using to flat iron is a gloss serum. I've never used one of those while doing my hair so I thought I'd give it a try. I bought Smoothing Shea Butter by Organix. Now, just some background, I have hair that loves, loves, loves to be tangled. Even when I would get it straightened at the salon, bone straight, if I would leave it out for 5 minutes it would be full of tangles. Well, after using this product I don't get any tangles. It's amazing. I was just out all night, with my hair down and then later in a side ponytail, and my comb caught just barely 2x. 2!! Around my whole head. I just can't believe it. I'm so happy I had to come in and tell you guys.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up! Gotta check that out. :yep:

BostonMaria

SHEANITPRO
I completely understand where you're coming from. Its up to you if you want to cut it, but I find that my hair eventually catches up with the rest of the lead hairs. Or maybe just continue wearing the ends curly to disguise the lead hairs. Beautiful hair either way!!!!!

I was going to do my hair today for my anniversary, but its now raining. Not only that, but its going to rain ALL !#$@$ week. Ugh. I might rollerset anyway. We'll see.
I don't think my hair has grown that much since the last length check.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Success!!!! Finally Hennindigo'd! The grays are defeated and I can finally scratch that off my To-Do List. 2-day process. Well worth it. Now I's ti'ed! :thud:

FoxxyLocs

Did my first wet bun today. I'm really liking buns as an easy protective style. The wet bun was nice and very easy to do, but my hair is not dry in the middle. I don't want to have to take it down every night and redo it in the morning because I think that would be too much manipulation. Does anyone know if it's ok to let it stay wet? For how long?

Here are a couple of pics of my bun. The frizzy part in the front is from where my edges are growing back after some PP shedding. I wear a headband to cover it, but I had taken it down already.

kami11213

SHEANITPRO I'm drooling... Your hair is goegeous, I love the thickness. Are you texlaxed? I feel you on the lead hairs thing, I'm contemplating a serious cut for the same reason.

prospurr4

@SHEANITPRO ... My mouth fell open when I saw your rollerset pic! You have gorgeous hair!

Quick question: What size rollers did you use to get such tight curls on your ends...or did you use a curling iron to curl your ends. Thanks!

SHEANITPRO

SHEANITPRO
I completely understand where you're coming from. Its up to you if you want to cut it, but I find that my hair eventually catches up with the rest of the lead hairs. Or maybe just continue wearing the ends curly to disguise the lead hairs. Beautiful hair either way!!!!!

I was going to do my hair today for my anniversary, but its now raining. Not only that, but its going to rain ALL !#$@$ week. Ugh. I might rollerset anyway. We'll see.
I don't think my hair has grown that much since the last length check.

I messed around yesterday and didn't relax my hair either, didn't even make it for Sunday Service. :ohwell: I'll relax it this coming weekend, I have to because I have an event to attend.

SHEANITPRO

SHEANITPRO I'm drooling... Your hair is goegeous, I love the thickness. Are you texlaxed? I feel you on the lead hairs thing, I'm contemplating a serious cut for the same reason.

No, I just use a relaxer for fine hair even though my hair is not really fine.
I use that relaxer at the max. amount of time that it advises.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Good morning, ladies. It's been a minute since I've heard a peep from this board. Just thought I'd check on everyone before 6pm rolls around. It might be my last time hearing from anyone, with the rapture and all. :lachen:

Today's hubby's birthday and I was trying to decide whether to wear my hair out or not (since he requested it last month when I said the next time I'd wear it out would be my birthday). I'm in the No Heat challenge and really only wanted to use a pass on my birthday.

And then I read BeautifulFlower 's post in the living vicariously thread talking about how fabulous it felt being at HL and walking around with her wet hair and I'm newly determined to get to HL....soon! I did a stretch test of my hair after washing last night and I'm moving along nicely. I can't wait to see my hair dry and with the roots flat ironed. I think I'll be there this summer for sure. I want to at least be breathing on HL by my birthday next month. That would be FABULOUS!!!!

Anywho, gotta go cook breakfast for the birthday boy and find a way to get away with not having to put heat in my hair today. I have a silky straight, long phonytail that I haven't worn yet. Maybe I can put my hair in a high bun and flatten my edges with a satin scarf and try the phonytail. :rolleyes: Ehn! We'll see.

Have a great day, ladies. And don't forget to chime in before the end of the world.... at 6pm. :grin:

BeautifulFlower

LOL @ rapture. I woke up this morning and said...Still here!:grin:

You look awful close. Good luck...and dont forget to let us know how it feels on your back. :yep:

Good morning, ladies. It's been a minute since I've heard a peep from this board. Just thought I'd check on everyone before 6pm rolls around. It might be my last time hearing from anyone, with the rapture and all. :lachen:

Today's hubby's birthday and I was trying to decide whether to wear my hair out or not (since he requested it last month when I said the next time I'd wear it out would be my birthday). I'm in the No Heat challenge and really only wanted to use a pass on my birthday.

And then I read BeautifulFlower 's post in the living vicariously thread talking about how fabulous it felt being at HL and walking around with her wet hair and I'm newly determined to get to HL....soon! I did a stretch test of my hair after washing last night and I'm moving along nicely. I can't wait to see my hair dry and with the roots flat ironed. I think I'll be there this summer for sure. I want to at least be breathing on HL by my birthday next month. That would be FABULOUS!!!!

Anywho, gotta go cook breakfast for the birthday boy and find a way to get away with not having to put heat in my hair today. I have a silky straight, long phonytail that I haven't worn yet. Maybe I can put my hair in a high bun and flatten my edges with a satin scarf and try the phonytail. :rolleyes: Ehn! We'll see.

Have a great day, ladies. And don't forget to chime in before the end of the world.... at 6pm. :grin:

SHEANITPRO

I was "rapture ready" :lol: relaxed my hair on Friday nite.

My desire to cut my hair waned, after I saw my progress pic. Aside from the grey hairs creeping in, I'm happy overall, and I think I'll just continue with my protective styling and let well enough alone.

I got "stalked" at the mall yesterday, and actually had two SA's in Dillards come up to me and ask about my hair. They were super nice and made me feel so "special" with all their fawning over me. :lol::yep: The challenge continues.

Pre-Perm Progress Pic

I rollerset last nite. Maybe I'll post pics in the "everyday hair thread" later.

Whimsy

LOL NJoy re: rapture. happy bday to the hubs

Even tho i'm out of the challenge, I'm still here. I'm actually straightening and self cutting my hair today....just slightly, don't pick up your rocks just yet. i'm just evening out a slightly uneven part. I am thinking of wearing my hair straight more often. probably when october rolls around. This summer I'm going to be wearing it curly just for easy sake. Sadly the blunt cut makes my hair look like a freaking pyramid when in a wash n go, so i'll have to get some layers cut in.

that's my update.

HAPPY SUNDAY GIRLS!!!

curlycrocheter

I posted my update in the WL thread, but I'll copy it here too.

I've got an update. I'm still about 4 good inches from waist.

This pic was taken 3/24/11:

This one was taken 5/4/11:

This one was taken a few day ago, freshly washed, no product. I just like the way my curls look in this one :giggle:

MariposaSexyGirl

SHEANITPRO jasmineml

You both have very gorgeous hair!

I still haven't decided if I'm going to start doing mini trims to maintain and thicken at hip or just let it grow for the summer to TBL. Ugh why can't I make a decision! lol I think I will just let it grow and just dust my ends every now and then. I swear I keep going back and forth on this.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@SHEANITPRO @jasmineml, thanks for the update pics. Both of you have it going on! Looking good, ladies! :yep:

Whimsy, ok, you had me lol @ the pyramid comment. 's probably not as bad as you make it out to be but, I feel you. but, uh...didn't you regret layers before? Or was it just the V that you were unhappy with?

MariposaSexyGirl, Girl, we all know the back and forth feeling. You'll do what's right for your goals and we'll be here to support your decision. In the meantime, you're looking good, girl. :yep:

BostonMaria

I did my hair yesterday and headed out to NYC. Well it was pretty warm and my hair turned into a 18" puffy frizzy halo of fuzz *sigh*

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Oiling my hair tonight. Thought I'd do a random and unofficial, stretched length check. Here's my contribution to the hair goodies.

Sorry about the streaked mirror. Had to use the kids' bathroom and wiped it down with my oily towel. Genius. :rolleyes:

ETA: Updated my siggy. It looked dumb having doubles so, my update is in my siggy.

Last edited:

Dee Raven

Looking good ladies. Njoy, your hair growth is ridiculous. Lucky, lucky you. Beautiful waves jasmineml.

BostonMaria , did you take any pics before you went out? Would love to see some pics.

My update: I got bangs and some little side layers (and I do mean little). But I am having to get used to it because when I tried to do a length check I was a little shocked by the loss of hair. I think my hair is right at the length it was before I cut it in March. Other than that not much. I'm still trying to figure out how to straighten my hair without all the frizz. :( When's our next check in?

BostonMaria

Looking good ladies. Njoy, your hair growth is ridiculous. Lucky, lucky you. Beautiful waves jasmineml.

@BostonMaria , did you take any pics before you went out? Would love to see some pics.

My update: I got bangs and some little side layers (and I do mean little). But I am having to get used to it because when I tried to do a length check I was a little shocked by the loss of hair. I think my hair is right at the length it was before I cut it in March. Other than that not much. I'm still trying to figure out how to straighten my hair without all the frizz. :( When's our next check in?

@Dee Raven no unfortunately I didn't. Plus I had only flatironed the roots so it looked bouncy and about MBL so it didn't show the true length. I had it up in a ponytail because I was wearing my baseball cap. I took the hat off around 11:00pm and the humidity... well the dew point was kicking my butt I'll put it to you like that LMAO I took pictures but since my hair is tied back you can't really see it. I got to my friend's apartment and she said OMG what happened. I looked like I got electrocuted :lachen:

I tried to salvage it by doing a braid out, but this morning I let my hair out and I see it puffing up again. This happens to me every spring :nono: Hot mess!

FoxxyLocs

I thought this thread was dead, lol. I got bored at work yesterday so I made a summer hair schedule for myself. I'm basically alternating between rollersets and bunning until September. We'll see what kind of retention I get. I've never rollerset my natural hair before, so idk how it will turn out. Hopefully I'll get better at it as I do more of them. I have flexi-rods, magnetics, and magnetic snap-ons so I can be prepared for anything :look: I'll post some pics of the first one if it looks decent.

Here is my latest pic. My ends are very bad. They don't look damaged really but the uneveness has made them very see thru :(. Would it be advisable to trim now, don't worry my feelings will not be hurt lol. And how many inches do I need to cut :cringes:... I'm thinking up to MBL which would most likely ruin any chance of hip length this year even though my hair grows quite fast (healthy retention is my issue because I flat iron nearly every single week, every single month, every single year lol.)

Click to see:
Picture 19.jpg

Picture 8.jpg

Picture 17.jpg

Last edited:

Caramela

Here is my latest pic. My ends are very bad. They don't look damaged really but the uneveness has made them very see thru :(. Would it be advisable to trim now, don't worry my feelings will not be hurt lol. And how many inches do I need to cut :cringes:... I'm thinking up to MBL which would most likely ruin any chance of hip length this year even though my hair grows quite fast (healthy retention is my issue because I flat iron nearly every single week, every single month, every single year lol.)

Click to see:
View attachment 116469

View attachment 116479

View attachment 116481

Yes, I would suggest trimming back to the thickest part of your hair which appears to be mbl...that, and back away from the flat iron :look:

Sent from my SCH-I400 using SCH-I400

MariposaSexyGirl

Click to see:
View attachment 116469

View attachment 116479

View attachment 116481

If you plan to wear it straight all the time I say trim it back to mbl. But if you plan to wear it in curly styles(your natural curls or styled curls) then you can get away with just dust every month until it fills in. And if the flat iron is causing you damage then you have to find another way to get your hair straight. So that you can have all of what you want:yep:.

If you trim it back to mbl it shouldn't take long to grow back. Last Oct I trimmed my hair back to in between mbl wl and now it's grown back.