Coconut oil before texlaxing/relaxing

xyra

I'm considering self texlaxing next week and was watching some youtube videos on the process. I found one great video and will possibly be using Soft and Beautiful Botanicals regular (I've used Motions in the past). After basing her scalp in the video, she used coconut oil on the length of her hair to protect her previously relaxed hair and then applied the relaxer.

I am considering using this method, but need some clarification. I'm currently 11 months post and have no idea how much new growth I actually have. For those who use this method, does the coconut oil allow your new growth to be more visible and is it okay to overlap the relaxer onto the oil?

Thanks in advance. Can't wait for the search engine to return:)

MarieB

I used coconut oil to base my scalp and to protect my ends when I did my last relaxer, and it worked really well for me. I also added a little conditioner to the ends. The main thing for me was making sure I took my time basing the scalp. Good luck.

xyra

So if I chose to oil my hair before relaxing, will overlapping the relaxer onto the oil affect it? Or should I just mainly concentrate on applying the oil to the ends of my hair and not the entire length of my hair? This is what I am confused about.

what do you mean by "overlapping the relaxer on to the oil"? if you're considering texlaxing, most ladies add oils to their relaxer of choice to slow down the processing time, but i'm not sure what you mean by overlapping the relaxer on to the oil.

xyra

what do you mean by "overlapping the relaxer on to the oil"? if you're considering texlaxing, most ladies add oils to their relaxer of choice to slow down the processing time, but i'm not sure what you mean by overlapping the relaxer on to the oil.

What I'm wondering is if I should lightly apply coconut oil from root to tip, and then apply the relaxer on top of the oil onto my new growth. I'm not going for a bone straight look, so I'm guessing this method would still give me a texlaxed look and protect my previously texlaxed ends at the same time?

yasluvsme

Thats a good question. I think if you're going to do that you should add some neutralizing shampoo to the coconut oil mix and then coat your previously relaxed hair.. With the oil alone u will most likely process that previously relaxed hair.

But even with the shampoo added I think it still might be risking it by overlapping the relaxer. Hoping more ladies will come chime in!

ETA: Sorry I think I misunderstood your question. I think it would be easier to add the oil to the relaxer rather than your new growth.. but to ALSO add a neutra shampoo/conditioner/oil mix to previously relaxed hair.. HTH!!

Last edited:

calibella218

I would either add the oil to my relaxer OR only to the previously relaxed hair. I am transitioning but when I was texlaxing my hair, the oil really prevented the relaxer from processing the hair and I ended up under processed, NOT texlaxed - my hair looked my natural curl pattern but frizzier/damaged. So then I had to get a corrective and ended up over processed. I would NOT suggest putting oil on your new growth:nono:. HTH

xyra

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've decided to attempt this tomorrow. Since I have 11 months of new growth, I think I will only apply the coconut oil to my ends and then later on possibly experiment with adding oils to the relaxer. I'm already experiencing enough frizz as it is so I don't want to be too under processed.

Thanks again:)

bimtheduck

Got a relaxer touch up friday and I applied coconut oil to my temples and to the length of my hair and it turned out pretty nice.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Interesting Concept.:look: May try this next Relaxer (July).

Especially since CO is one of the penetrating oils that actually penetrate the cuticle/hair shaft.:grin:

Ladies have also had great results coating previously relaxed hair with PC and/or Conditioner.

Thanks for the Thread OP!:yep:

Last edited: