For natural hair: how often should I use protein conditioners? Clue me in!

Roselyn

Okay, I'm new the whole 'natural' hair thing, as many of you may know. So I'm gonna need a little help/advice. How often should one condition with protein? Not as often as one with relaxed hair, right? How often do YOU protein condition? I was also wonderning, as I've begun to experience, natural hair has a harder time absorbing moisture than that of relaxed hair. Also, would I be able to brush again, if so, what brush would prove to be the best kind? I never brushed with my relaxed hair, but I know that since my hair a different texture, it can be treated differently and has its different needs as well. So, can you ladies help me out here. I'm just trying to find the best way to care for my hair. I've also found out that my hair has a cork-screw pattern to it. So cute! I really don't remember what my natural hair looked like 'cause I've been getting my hair relaxed since before I can remember (maybe four-years-old? somewhere aroung there). Please, clue me in here on the advice. Thanx a lot!

OnceUponAtime

It's hard to say, because it depends on how much your hair likes or dislikes protein. Some protein conditioners like Keraphix or Motions CPR, can be used weekly for some people. Then there are protein treatments that are not conditioners at all. Some of those are strong and should only be used every six to eight weeks tops.

My hair likes protein, so I use a hardcore treatment (Aphogee or DRC28) every 6-8 weeks and a conditioner (Keraphix) every two weeks in between.

mkstar826

supersonic
If you want to use one regularly, I think once a month is fine. Unless you use heat a lot or constantly style/manipulate your hair, I think that will do. If you ever start to notice more breakage then definitely try it out and see if that helps.

I think you should only really use it when you feel like your hair needs to be strengthened though...otherwise moisturizing conditioners should suffice.

laketta

My hair hates protein. I would say not to use it unless you use a lot of heat to straighten it because over time, too much heat weakens your hair and the point of protein is to strengten and thicken your hair.

deedabug

i do it once a week...i put it in with my deep conditioner which now is a mix of suave humectant and honey and olive oil and some cholesterol(hey i was experimenting lol) my protein is vo5 blueberries and cream...its not much of it in my mix...doin protein alone in the summer was not cool...

for brushes the boar bristle it doesnt tear the hair out as much and is great for smoothing

with absorbin moisture i think it will take some time for your hair and u to get used to the change of being natural...

Chinagem

Well nobody mentioned anything about brushes. I know a lot of people use brushes by Denman like D3 or D4 but as far as I know, they use it for detangling when the hair is wet only. I personally use a brush only when my hair is wet and never at any other time. I don't use protein as I have not needed any since I've been natural.

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
My hair hate hard core protein treatments....aphogee,nexxus emergencee. Maybe Surge and Salerm is enough. I've had success with Aubrey GPB.

SVT

I do a protein treatment about every other week and also before and after thermal straightening. My hair seems to respond well to milk proteins so I use Aubrey GPB usually combined with coconut milk.

I save the hardcore, keratin or animal protein treatments for use after thermal straightening.

ETA: I use a boar bristle brush for smoothing down my hair when it's pulled back.

Dare~to~Dream

My hair can't get enough protein. I use a deep conditioner {contains mild protein} at least once a week and every six weeks I use Aphogee. As a matter of fact, I just did one today along with a clear rinse. Since I've been using the hardcore protein treatments, I notice that when the 6 week mark comes around my hair is more tangly or it sheds/breaks more...that's how I know that I need the protein and that it's time for another treatment {I keep it marked on my calendar also}. My hair is fine and fragile so the treatments help keep it strong with less tangling and shedding.

PhonyBaloney500

Lanelle said:
My hair can't get enough protein. I use a deep conditioner {contains mild protein} at least once a week and every six weeks I use Aphogee. As a matter of fact, I just did one today along with a clear rinse. Since I've been using the hardcore protein treatments, I notice that when the 6 week mark comes around my hair is more tangly or it sheds/breaks more...that's how I know that I need the protein and that it's time for another treatment {I keep it marked on my calendar also}. My hair is fine and fragile so the treatments help keep it strong with less tangling and shedding.

Which mild protein? :)

NGC

For the longest time, I didn't think my hair needed protein. But I was sooooo wrong. I did the omnipak two weeks ago and my hair has been scrumptious ever since (ummm except for a henna and indigo incident). I think for me, it like protein because my hair is really fine, as in small strands (especially around the edges) and protein treatments kinda shore up the strength of the individual strands.

I am devising my 2005 regime and plan on doing a heavy duty protein treatment at least once every two months and the henna and indigo treatment once every six months (maybe more often).

I might do a mild protein treatment every month.

CocoaButterflyy

I rarely use protein (maybe every other month if that) so I'm not the best to give advice in that area but I like Aveda's protein conditioner when I do use it... What kind of moisturizer are you using because my hair sucks up moisture.... As far as brushes I have a Denman, I'm not sure of the model number but there is a pic of it in my original album. When brushing remember to start from your ends and move up

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
LegallySpeaking said:
I've seen several people say that their hair hates protein. How do you know that your hair hates protein ... what does it do?
I wondered this too.

x

Dare~to~Dream

PhonyBaloney500 said:
Which mild protein? :)

I use Ultra Black Hair {Deep} Conditioner. Some people do not consider it a mild protein conditioner but I do because it's definitely milder than the Aphogee treatment.

Ayeshia

i was using Aubrey GPB avery other week until I ran out, now I use ORS hair Mayo every other week or when I can remember :)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
ThickHair said:
My hair dislikes a lot of protein so I don't use it. My hair is fine.
interesting u say this... by your screen name, i thought you would have thick hair! Hee-hee! :D

I have fine textured hair too; I guess when I go completely natural, protein shouldn't be a regular thing. I wonder if I really need to be doing protein treatments now. I never used one before joining this forum and my hair didn't have any problems. :scratchch Hmmm... now I have a question that I might start for a thread!

SVT

Poohbear said:
ThickHair said:
My hair dislikes a lot of protein so I don't use it. My hair is fine.
interesting u say this... by your screen name, i thought you would have thick hair! Hee-hee! :D

I have fine textured hair too; I guess when I go completely natural, protein shouldn't be a regular thing. I wonder if I really need to be doing protein treatments now. I never used one before joining this forum and my hair didn't have any problems. :scratchch Hmmm... now I have a question that I might start for a thread!

My individual strands are fine also but the total number of them make my hair appear thick.

This is one reason I don't go to stylists anymore. They frequently equate thick hair as requiring strong chemicals, more processing time, greater tension, etc., not realizing that those methods are inappropriate for thin, fine strands.

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
My hair responds well to protein and I think that is because it is fine and the protein helps strengthen the strands and protect then from excess weathering, and from the potential damaging effects of the semi-permanent color that I use (although I have not observed any damage from my current brand of color). I use Parnevue Hair Mayonaise as a DC every month or so. And I'll use my Aubrey Organics GBP as a conditioner-wash maybe every couple weeks. How much protein to use really depends on your styling methods and personal needs. Some naturals need more than others.

In general natural hair does not absorb water (or other products) as fast as relaxed hair because it is not as porous as relaxed hair. The relaxer permanetly alters the chemical bonds of the hair in order to straighten it.

Brushing is best done with caution. Again some people have no problem with it (like me) and others say that it thins the edges or breaks their hair. The Denman brush is good for detangling wet hair and great for removing shed hair especially if your hair is thick or you go several days inbetween combing as many naturals to. For dry or damp hair I'd recommend a boar-bristle brush that has been softened in warm water before brushing. I like to use a hair-strengthing spray before I brush my wet hair into a ponytail.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
SVT said:
My individual strands are fine also but the total number of them make my hair appear thick.

This is one reason I don't go to stylists anymore. They frequently equate thick hair as requiring strong chemicals, more processing time, greater tension, etc., not realizing that those methods are inappropriate for thin, fine strands.
I had the exact same problem. Why is that? Laziness? Just do not care? Not being taught about seeing the actual hair strands themselves? This is why strand tests are extremely important.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
SVT said:

That's so true. I think I read a site about a myth related to this. The myth was that black people's hair can handle rough treatment which is so untrue since we have one of the most fragile hair in the world. :)

Kengne

CharUK said:
I wondered this too.

x

My hair HATES proteins in any shape or form e.g. glycerin spray, conditioner, deep treatment etc...l! Let me explain...When i first went natural I was all on the Abba Nourishing tip. It's a protein leave-in conditioner which had fantastic raves.

However whenever I used it on my hair...wet or dry...it left my hair feeling crispier & crunchier than ever!! same thing with glycerin sprays e.g. Carefree Curl left me with crispy crunchy curls! *ugh*. And heaven FORBID I do another protein deep treatment *shakes hea*. all i use is Lekair and Queen helene cholestoral and my hair LOVES it.

I also have fine, but very dense hair.

Roselyn

Thanx for the advice. There's a whole lot of different methods here and all ver helpful too. I think I'll spare myself the brush for a while, My hair's too short for that anyway right now. Thanx again, ladies.

honeycomb719

SVT said:

SOOOO true, I totally agree. This too is why I stopped going :perplexed .
My hair is the same way, appears thick,but really the strand are thin...