tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

YOUR best "whipped" SHEA BUTTER RECIPE

now that WINTER is here!!!
heavier butters are great (for most) to protect the hair and skin

What's your YOUR BEST SHEA BUTTER RECIPE

for SKIN and/or HAIR

Last edited:

AnotherLevel

Simply Shea Butter and Hairveda's Vatika Frosting whipped is the best butter I've tried yet. I even skipped on Qhemet'ssale because I like this better than their amla and olive heavy cream and burdock root buttercream.

I use Butters n' Bars shea butter (about 3/4 of a 4oz container) and 2 tablespoons of Vatika Frosting. I added a little at a time and whipped until I got my desired consistency. It is smooth, creamy and smells great!! Best butter ever.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Lissa0821

I use the following:

4 oz of shea butter
2 tbsp of coconut oil
1 tsp each of tea tree oil, vitamin E oil, honey, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil and Proclaim 7 oil

I mix with a mixer for about 20 minutes and use it on my body daily.

SimJam

I dont have a set recipe

for hair

the method I use is to melt shea butter in makeshift double boiler (stainless steel bowl set over a pot of boiling water)

make sure not to allow the butter to boil.
add which ever oils I want - normally olive, avocado, coconut, or palm)
then whip with a mixer for 5 mins
set in freezer till it reaches a soft set
whip again for 5 mins

repeat until u get the consistency u wish - I normally repeat abt 4 - 5 times

for my body, I make it more runny, like milkshake texture - by adding more oil - usually more olive or coconut oil

I have yellow shea butter from shea and more and also white shea butter that my BF got for me in Kenya. I alternate between them and use both in my hair and on my body

Pompous Blue

Thank you, OP for starting this thread.
Simply Shea Butter and Hairveda's Vatika Frosting whipped is the best butter I've tried yet. I even skipped on Qhemet'ssale because I like this better than their amla and olive heavy cream and burdock root buttercream.

I use Butters n' Bars shea butter (about 3/4 of a 4oz container) and 2 tablespoons of Vatika Frosting. I added a little at a time and whipped until I got my desired consistency. It is smooth, creamy and smells great!! Best butter ever.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

So simple and so DeLish!!! Imma try this....'cept my shea butter will be Nilotica.

OT, I love your hair in your siggy!
I use the following:

4 oz of shea butter
2 tbsp of coconut oil
1 tsp each of tea tree oil, vitamin E oil, honey, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil and Proclaim 7 oil

I mix with a mixer for about 20 minutes and use it on my body daily.
This is a good hair butter, too!

Thank you both!

Bumping!

baddison

natural for good
My mix is the following:

8 oz. Pure Unrefined African Shea Butter (hard, yellowish)
2 oz. ExtraVirginOliveOil
2 oz. ExtraVirginCoconutOil
2 oz. Jojoba Oil
2 oz. Jamaican Black Castor Oil

You'll notice equal parts of shea butter & oils (both 8 oz.:yep:) I whip these together in a mixing bowl using a hand mixer until the consistency is fluffy and creamy. Then I pour into multiple containers. No water, means no need to worry about molding. This 16 oz. mixture usually last me about 6months, since hubby now uses it daily on his "fro" too. I don't refrigerate it, I simply store it with my other hair products, like my ORS Carrot Oil, and my BB Oil Moisturizer creams. The mix never goes bad, or turns rancid. The JBCO in it keeps all the "cooties" away...LOL! (what is JBCO? Jamaican Black Castor Oil )

I use this mixture 2x's per week as my scalp "grease".
I aslo use this mixture for sealing my ends.
This stuff is GREAT!! I love, love , love this mix and its a keeper for me & the family.

Mrs. Verde

Here's one I found online -

• 8 oz. unrefined shea butter
  • 8 oz. pure coconut oil
  • 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1.5 tsp. jojoba oil
  • 1 tsp. sweet almond oil
  • 2 drops rosemary oil
  • 4 drops peppermint oil
  • 8-oz. container with a lid

MA2010

My mix is the following:

8 oz. Pure Unrefined African Shea Butter (hard, yellowish)
2 oz. ExtraVirginOliveOil
2 oz. ExtraVirginCoconutOil
2 oz. Jojoba Oil
2 oz. Jamaican Black Castor Oil

You'll notice equal parts of shea butter & oils (both 8 oz.:yep:) I whip these together in a mixing bowl using a hand mixer until the consistency is fluffy and creamy. Then I pour into multiple containers. No water, means no need to worry about molding. This 16 oz. mixture usually last me about 6months, since hubby now uses it daily on his "fro" too. I don't refrigerate it, I simply store it with my other hair products, like my ORS Carrot Oil, and my BB Oil Moisturizer creams. The mix never goes bad, or turns rancid. The JBCO in it keeps all the "cooties" away...LOL! (what is JBCO? Jamaican Black Castor Oil )

I use this mixture 2x's per week as my scalp "grease".
I aslo use this mixture for sealing my ends.
This stuff is GREAT!! I love, love , love this mix and its a keeper for me & the family.

I may try this one baddison. Sounds yummy. I've just been using shea butter mixed with olive oil for DD and myself. i mix it with my finger until smooth :look:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I've notice many youtube...... but this site is the absolute best

if she get's the insert video feature back up..... I'll add a few
but i will add several from my research as well

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Recipe

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blogs/25232-mj11051/12250-recipe.html Tags

Ladies I usually don't publish my hair butter recipes but this one is to good to keep to myself.

I used
2ozs of shea butter
1oz of Coffee Bean Butter
1oz Cupaucu Butter
1oz of JBCO Oil
1oz of Rice bran Oil
3ozs of Long Aid Activator Gel

I mixed the the butters and oils together and then I slowly added the gel.

It made a very wonderful and nice twist butter. Try it

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/natural-living/502851-whipped-butter-recipe-shea-aloe.html

Hello everyone,
First, I'm sorry if anyone else has already posted a similar recipe, I've looked into the recipe sticky and found no similar formula.
I make a shealoe butter that is very easy to make and is great to moisturize my natural hair. I can also use it on my body.
I was at first reluctant to post it because it ideally requires the use of a preservative, but I like it so much that I decided to share it with other LHCFers.

Here is the recipe (by weight):

46% shea butter
25% aloe gel
5% glycerin
20% vegetable oils. You can use olive oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil or whichever oil you like best. I like to use lighter oils because shea can be heavy enough on its own.
1% preservative

1% Vitamin E : this is optional. However, if you use oil that easily go rancid ( wheat germ, hemp seed...) it's best to add some.
2% natrasorb or kaolin clay ONLY if I want it to be less greasy on my skin. If you like the formula without it, you can omit it and add 2% more oils.

Whip the shea butter until it becomes smooth and light ( about 10 to 15 minutes).
Slowly add the vegetable oils while you keep whipping.
Add the glycerine and the aloe gel. Add slowly so that the mixture doesn't separate.
That's it!

Notes:

* A preservative is necessary because you include water based products ( aloe gel). Many suppliers ( lotion crafter, ingredientstodiefor...) sell some. Optiphen would be a good choice in that case.
Use the preservative at the recommended percentage, but no more than the maximum percentage.
* If you don't want to use a preservative, this butter can keep for a few months (IME) without spoiling. Avoid putting your hands in the jar.
* You can fragrance it if you want to.
* Work with clean ustensils, if necessary sanitize then with alcohol or diluted bleach. Keep your hands clean during the whole process.

HTH,

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

ok... trying to establish a great hair mix.... that works for skin

I see everyone incorporating olive oil in the mix............hmmmmmmmmm
never used that one

Last edited:

sensi sweetie

Great thread as always OP!

I got bored last night which resulted in me purchasing:
- organic shea butter (1/2 lbs)
- organic cocoa butter (4oz)
- organic mango butter (4oz)
- rose essential oil sampler
- vanilla essentail oil

I am so excited to make not only a aryuvedic hair butter with vatika, amla and brahmi but also a face cream and body cream:lick:

I'll post some pics and the recipie I ended up with when they all come in the mail :grin: Thanks for all the great suggestions!

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Great thread as always OP!

I got bored last night which resulted in me purchasing:
- organic shea butter (1/2 lbs)
- organic cocoa butter (4oz)
- organic mango butter (4oz)
- rose essential oil sampler
- vanilla essentail oil

I am so excited to make not only a aryuvedic hair butter with vatika, amla and brahmi but also a face cream and body cream:lick:

I'll post some pics and the recipie I ended up with when they all come in the mail :grin: Thanks for all the great suggestions!

purchased from where?

Allandra

unrefined shea butter from Oils By Nature Natural and Organic Oils
jojoba oil

I let the unrefined shea butter melt naturally or use a double broiled (no microwaving for me). Then I mix both ingredients with a mixer until nice and smooth. Then I pour into the container. I've been using this on my hair and skin since February 2010. ps. I do not use this on my straightened hair (way too heavy for that). I use this on my hair when it's in it's natural state. :yep: I love it, and I love the fact that it's unscented.

sensi sweetie

oh my, im full of questions today. this will be my last- promise!!

how long are y'all whipping your shea butter mix? I have read everything from 15min to a few hours!!

Charlie555

I mix:
- 8oz Shea butter
- melted coconut oil
- avocado oil
- lavender EO
- Aloe Vera gel

First I added the Shea butter to the mixer then slowly pour in the coconut oil & avocado oil until I see the right consistency. Then add a few squirts of aloe Vera gel & 100 drops of lavender EO. Pour it into the container & place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

ThatJerseyGirl

for those of you in the md, dc area, and for those of you that care, i was just in that flea market in baltimore, patapsco(sp) I think, and right in the center of the place (don't know where specifically) there is a guy (asian) who has shea butter, mango butter and some other types of raw butters by the box load there. he even had all types of oils such as jojoba, coconut, castor, etc. even essential oils. i was in shock.

LovelyLouboutin

Is the flea market everyday? I wanna go but I'm stuck working 11hr days :-/. I need some fresh Shea butter. Mine stinks. How long do the mixtures last? I've had a tub in the fridge for a while now.

ThatJerseyGirl

I only know the flea market to be open on the weekends. Not sure if its open during the week. I usually go on either a Sat of Sunday. The place is right in the center. If you go in where the man sells the shrimp and crabs, walk the opposite way, and go through the door towards the end and walk through that way. You can't miss him. Just ask someone where is the man who sells the tropical fish and gold fish and the man who sells the butters is right there. I mean he carries all the essential oils and his prices are better Good luck!

Angelicus

These are some awesome recipes. Thank you all. I use Nubian Heritage Shea Butter with Black Seed Oil and Honey for now because I don't own a mixer. I'll be sure to use this thread for ideas in case I get one.