How Much Flatironing for Relaxed Hair?

Chichi

I just flat ironed my hair this weekend and love it! I used the Jilbere teeny ceramic flat iron with dial. I have relaxed hair (six weeks post relaxer). My hair came out silky soft. How often can I flat iron on my relaxed hair?

This is what I did:
Pre-shampoo oil treatment
Shampoo
Deep conditioner with oil
Rollerset with leave-in conditioners and a little Breakthru heat protectant
Based scalp with Ultra Sheen (Hair Food) and oil then did the Silkies Saran Wrap Treatment (this took out all of the roller ridges and straightened my hair)

I then wrapped my hair for the night...

In the morning, I applied a little Ultra Sheen again on scalp and throughout hair then flat ironed my hair. I had great reasults and my hair was blowing in the wind

Next time I do this, I may skip the Silkies treatment, if I am short on time.

Have any of you with relaxed hair flat ironed once a week with no damage to your hair?

[I thought about this because when I used to go the Dominican salons every week, they used a very hot hairdryer on my hair after my rollerset. So that heat was probably comprable (if not more) than the heat that I used with my flat iron this weekend.]

Chichi

Chaya

I flat iron my hair one a week after I wrap set. I use the HAI ceramic flat iron which I absolutely love. As long as you continue to deep condition and moisturize your ends, you shouldnt run into any trouble. My favorite daily moisturizers include Profective Anti breakage or end strengthener and my two most favorite are the indigo lustre glo and the rusk deep shine

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I don't think that using it once a week is bad. Flat irons and curling irons are not nearly as bad as blow-dryers.

Chichi

Thanks ladies. I knew that the flatiron wasn't as bad as that hair dryer on high heat. And the thing is that after flatironing, my hair felt really good (healthy). It didn't feel dry nor hard.

Chichi

DeQuendre

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
Thanks ladies. I knew that the flatiron wasn't as bad as that hair dryer on high heat. And the thing is that after flatironing, my hair felt really good (healthy). It didn't feel dry nor hard.

Chichi

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens to me too, especially when I have let my hair air dry with a good moisturizer in it. Love it, but I do worry that I am using too much heat. I have cut my shampoos and conditioning to once a week, so I flat iron once a week. But when I go to class once a week, I sometimes bump my ends under with a curling iron.

pmichael52172

Chichi, I think we have the same flat iron. I originally bought it that small to hit the roots when I would try to stretch out my touch up times, but that stretching out gig didn't work for me like with others - so I'm like you and back to every 6 weeks and lovin' it.

Anyway, I use it weekly and although I scoffed at the big deal made about ceramic, there really IS a difference. I often wrap my hair wet after conditioning and air dry overnight / or blow dry and go to bed. I'm 4a/b so my hair does tend to draw up the next morning. Anyway, I spread some shea butter around and plug up the iron. I may put a little on the ends as I flat iron each piece and still today, (Monday) my hair is shiny and so soft. Even with the small iron, I'm still able to bump my ends or make big curls to give my layers some lift.

The suede around the iron is starting to peel back but I'm not getting another one, I'll just keep working with it. Best investement I ever made.

(Uhhh... did you ask for all of that information?)
Sorry

Chichi

I actually flatiron to try to mimic the feel that I get after stepping out from a Dominican salon. I think that I did it but it wasn't as bouncy.

I relax at 12 weeks so I am glad that I am learning how to flatiron now before I really need it

Chichi