How to care for hair after braids

PenelopeMishel

My hair always grows with braids but then when I take them out, the length seems to disappear. (Hair breaks off during combing). How do you get all of the dirt out of your hair after braids without ripping the hair out if they just came out of braids and haven't been DC'd in 2-3 months? Do you DC, sit under a dryer for 30-45 min then comb?

lilsparkle825

To prevent it in the future, DC with your braids in every 2 weeks or so. I have my sister do this: mix it up, brush it on with a relaxer applicator brush, then put on a cap and sit under the dryer.

But to answer your question...she takes them out, gently finger detangles, then DCs (with protein, then a moisturizing DC). After sitting under the dryer, she detangles, then rinses.

India*32

By a BC. Naw, I would suggest extra conditioning to soften the hair. If you relax, I would try to hold off to allow the hair to get its strength. Check out my fotki. For some reason the last set of braids took my relaxed and colored hair out the box. But, it was time for me. I had been relaxing for 30+ years.

Simone:bdance:

HisBestFriend

Hey OP, length retention out of braids starts with taking care of your hair while it is braids.

You said something about not being able to DC for 2-3 months. You can DC while in braids. If you go to www.growafrohairlong.com you can get some great tips for taking care of your hair while in braids. The truth is treat your hair while in braids the same way you would if you weren't in braids. This makes length retention so much easier.

But to answer your question. You spoke about getting the dirt out with a comb, you dont have to be rough when you use the comb. You could saturate your hair in conditioner and then take it down slowly.

Do you have a shower comb?
Do you have seamless comb?

These two types of combs help reduce breakage as well.

There is also some spray that helps take down braids, this spray helps break down the build up. The build up is also a problem.

Do you wash your hair at all while you are in braids?

Hopefully you do. Again, if using the above the site will give tips about how to wash your hair. This helps reduce build up.

I hope this helps. But remember the next time you get braids, treat your hair the same in and out of braids.

Last edited:

gorgeoushair

While wearing braids, you want to be sure to keep them moisturized w/ a braid spray or moisturizing spray. Better Braids Unbraid Spay, Better Braids Braid Spray, or Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1 spray are some good ones.....of course they're more out there. Make sure the braids are moisturized(I recommend Better Braids Unbraid Spray) when taking them a loose and detangle each section at a time w/ a wide tooth comb. Be sure to take your time and detangle, detangle, detangle.

Mimi22

I usually put loads of conditioner in my hair before I take them out. It gives the hair slip and it prevents breakage from tugging and pulling.

I'm also careful while I have them in. I dont put them in tight ponytails as it would cause major tension on my edges! Ouch! I moisturize often and DC every 3 weeks.

Hope that helps! :yep:

LovinLea

yeah, you can DC in braids. i'm doing it right now :)

when i'm taking out my braids, i have to keep my hair mostly dry because once you put water on a tangle.. it just mats. i have to make sure i keep in mind that i have to be patient or i'll end up just pulling it all out (i have to go through section by section which takes a while) and i have to remember that seeing so much hair is natural because it's two months worth of shedding. if you see a lot of dirt at the root of the braid, you should first loosen it up with your fingers. (growafrohairlong.com)

i also stay away from the protein for the first DC after taking down the braids.