Celebrity Hair Regimens

bajanplums1

Are these easy to find? Has anyone uncovered any? Especiall Jada--is her hair natural texture, meaning not relaxed? Nevermind. I found in Essence the following:

When Jada Pinkett Smith and Queen Latifah turn out supersleek looks, their hair is ultrastraight yet full of body. What's their secret? Oscar James credits the pressing comb. "Neither has a relaxer, so they can reap the rewards of great body with a fresh press," James says.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hey! How come I've been trying to find Jada's regime somewhere! I heard she used Carol's Daughter and Aveda products.

redeemed516

Poohbear said:
Hey! How come I've been trying to find Jada's regime somewhere! I heard she used Carol's Daughter and Aveda products.

I remember seeing that on VH1. It was the "It's good to be Will and Jada" special. She said she is a product junkie and will try anything. She said that she LOVES Aveda product and Carol's daughter.

caligirl

How about Ananda Lewis' regimen? I read that she has never had any chemical or heat used on her hair ever!

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
Here is Ms. Ross hair routine:

Tracee Ellis Ross' Hair Routine

Girlfriend's Got Style!
By Laini Madhubuti, BET.com Staff Writer

BET.com: So, what exactly is your hair routine like?

TER: Once a week, usually on a Sunday, my trick is that I go to the steam room and I fill my hair up with conditioner. There's three different conditioners that I'll use, that's my deep conditioning day. I wash it once a week, sometimes twice depending on how many products we've put in my hair because if you wash it too much it gets dry. There's a really cheap product called Hair Mayonnaise, it's an organic product that you can buy at health food stores. It's a big tub and it's like a hair growth product [and] really good conditioner. Rene Furterer makes a conditioner called Karite Nourishing Conditioning Cream for dry hair ($22, 3.4 oz.). It's expensive but good, but I say that the Hair Mayonnaise is just as good and cheap.

In terms of products to get my hair curly during the week, the trick is the Denman brush, a D4 ($17) or the industrial one, it's the key to curls. [While in the shower,] wet your hair, fill it up with conditioner. I split my hair into six sections, bottom section split it in two, brush it over the shoulder, next section, brush it over the shoulder, etc. Leave the conditioner in. After I've brushed it out, I put a little more conditioner in my hair and (shaking the hair gently) I try to make the curls happen. You can see them develop at that point. Put the hair up in a clip, wash the body, do what you gotta do, rinse it out.

bellydancer

caligirl said:
How about Ananda Lewis' regimen? I read that she has never had any chemical or heat used on her hair ever!

I read that Ananda Lewis uses pure Aloe Vera gel on her hair. She's the one that got me started using it.

CarLiTa

I think Jada does use Carol's Daughter products. If you check out the new Essence magazine, which I saw at the library at my school, there's a two-page add for Carol's Daughter and she's in it. I guess they've made her the spokesperson or whatever for it. I wonder if it's one of her secret for that gorgeous head of hair. Ya should buy the new Essence issue, it seems pretty good!

I really liked Shavonda's hair *from the Real World, this past season* I don't know if her hair was texturized or anything, cuz sometimes it would be extra curly then it she'd have it straight. I"m in love with long ponytails, that's why I like her hair :D

Ashee

CarLiTa said:
I think Jada does use Carol's Daughter products. If you check out the new Essence magazine, which I saw at the library at my school, there's a two-page add for Carol's Daughter and she's in it. I guess they've made her the spokesperson or whatever for it. I wonder if it's one of her secret for that gorgeous head of hair. Ya should buy the new Essence issue, it seems pretty good!

I really liked Shavonda's hair *from the Real World, this past season* I don't know if her hair was texturized or anything, cuz sometimes it would be extra curly then it she'd have it straight. I"m in love with long ponytails, that's why I like her hair :D
Shavonda sometimes flat ironed her hair on the show! :grin:

MomofThreeBoys

In the Jan 05 issue of Black Hairstyle mag, Alicia Keyes mentioned that she uses the PHYTO line for her shampoo and conditioner.

cafe_au_lait

Pooh Bear,

I read somewhere about 1.5 years ago that Vivian green only uses Suave conditioner and styling gel in her hair. Some girls just have all the luck :) I think that is just pretty much what her natural hair texture does!

Jewell

Poohbear said:

In the latest issue of Essence, Jada is a cover model for Carol's Daughter products. I thought that was interesting.

Tru_Mind

bellydancer said:
I read that Ananda Lewis uses pure Aloe Vera gel on her hair. She's the one that got me started using it.

@bellydancer

This sounds good! Where do you get pure aloe vera gel from? Would it be better to get organic aloe vera gel? Also, what do you use along with aloe vera gel, or do you, and can you use it alone?

I really want to try this!:)

-tru

Tru_Mind

Amel Larrieux ***Hair Care Routine*** http://www.alluringlooks.com/celeballuremj.html

Hair
"I wear my hair natural and I have to stay on top of it. I am very much into lubricating my hair. I use different hair oils and pomades and I only wash my hair every two to three weeks," Larriex says.

One of her favorite hair products is Monoi de Tahiti, a coconut oil with coconut extract directly from Tahiti, which she uses to oil her hair and scalp. She also uses Indian hemp as a pomade.

Larrieux has a hair care routine that she recommends for women with natural curly, wavy, and/or frizzy hair. She encourages them not to wash their hair too much. When you do wash, use a hot oil treatment once a month. She also swears by using a leave-in conditioner like Nexxus Humectress, her favorite. She says it's great for the thickest of thick hair.

"I try not to use the word nappy because I don't like the word nappy," she says. "I think we can look for ways to redefine our hair."

Larrieux also likes to use Pro-Line's coconut oil, which she finds light enough to use in her hair of several different grades. She also uses a pomade that her grandmother used, Clairol's Vitapointe Creme Hairdress and Conditioner.

After washing her hair at night, she oils her scalp, puts a bit of oil on her hair, then sections and braids her hair in two, four, sometimes six braids. She says the process protects and sets the hair. In the morning she takes out the braids and runs her fingers though her hair to create a wavy effect.

"It's as simple as that," she says. "When I go to shoots I tell the stylists not to touch my hair because it is the way I like it."

Allure on the Go
"I don't go anywhere without my Evian mister. I spray it over my face five to six times a day. I spray it in my hair to get tangles out of my hair. It's much gentler than tap water.

Monoi de Tahiti. It's so fragrant. It makes you smell like an island girl.

Last edited:

Tru_Mind

Thanks to Peachtree here's Rachel True's regime...

"BlacTress" magazine
"Rachel True... A Natural In More Ways Than One"

Actress Rachel True is naturally gifted. As "mona" she's a natural at showcasing her comedic talents in her starring role on UPN's Half and Half. She's also a natural beauty. "I've got big, wild hair and I use to fight it. Now I embrace it!" says this rising young star. Just for BlacTress Rachel True takes the time to share the style tips that makes her shine.

Q. DO YOU RELAX OR COLOR YOUR HAIR?

A. I like to get my hair highlighted with color for a couple of reasons. My natural hair color is quite dark and on camera it tended to look like a big black mop around my head. With highlights added, I get depth and dimension, as opposed to a solid flat look. My hair is naturally curly and fine, so I don't need to use a relaxer or texturizer. For me, it's pretty much wash and go, but since I do color my hair, I'm very good about getting regular deep conditioning treatments at a salon. I also prefer to wear my hair in it's curly state, because straightened hair requires so much work. I think I look weird with straight hair, or maybe it's just that I don't like how it changes the look of my face.

Q. DO YOU EVER WEAR A WEAVE?
A. Very occasionally I've worn one for film and TV work, mainly for the convenience and to cut down the stress on my hair. Once I tried a full-head weave and it drove me up a tree! My head just felt too weird and the fact that I couldn't run my hands through it really threw me for a loop. I had it taken out immediately. I'm a pretty natural girl, a tad bohemian, so I think that natural is always best. Weaves, wigs and hairpieces are fun to play with and can help transform your look. My pet peeve is seeing girls with bad weaves. If you're going to wear one and want it to look good, I think you should invest in the best hair and stylist you can afford.

Q. WHAT'S YOUR BASIC STYLING ROUTINE?

A. I tend to wet and condition my hair every day, but I only shampoo every third day or so. After towel drying, I put in a good leave-in conditioner, adding a little more as it dries. Sometimes I air dry my hair and fluff with my fingers. Other times I blow dry it for a more controlled look. When I work, the hairstylist tends to go over the top layer with a very small curling iron to nip any frizzies.

Q. WHO'S IN YOUR GLAMOUR SQUAD?

A. Valerie Herrell does my color for the show as well as running her own salon, Daydreams, in San fernando Valley, CA. Carla Farmer styles my hair on the show. These women are amazing, and I use them on photo shoots when I can. Adam Christopher is the makeup artist on the show with "artist" being the operative word. He's amazing also.

Her Favorite Products At A Glace

"Okay, I confess, I'm a product junkie!" Rachel admits. Here are the ones she can't do without.

Kiel's Silk Groomer - "It controls the frizzies."
Tancho Stick - "It's a little-known gem from Asia," says Rachel. "It's a waxy pomade that seals the ends of the hair."
L'anza Rebalance Leave-In Conditioner - "It just rocks!" she states. "L'anza has a whole line for girls like me with curls and color."
Tresemme Hydrology - "It's inexpensive and great for moisturizing my hair."
L'Oreal - "The line is great if you've got color," Rachel nods before concluding. "I also give myself a cheap hot oil treatment with olive oil and then sit under the dryer."

Last edited: