Curl Activator

NayNay

Hello Ladiezz! I am fairly new to the "improved hair care" regiment-5 months. I wash my hair 1x weekly with shampoos without sulfates, hot oil treatment w/ olive oil, and use a variety of deep conditioners (Mizani, CPR, Reconstructor etc.) depending on the condition of my hair. I roll my hair up and let it air dry-no heat at all. I also put a liquid leave in and oils on my hair daily. I MAY start to wash my hair 2x weekly -2nd wash with conditioner, but my real question is what is up with the curl activator? Is it a good moisturizer, are there any other types of chemicals in them? How does your hair respond to it? What type works well? My hair is thick and a little below the shoulders and it can take a LOT of oil without weighing it down. Please more incite on what type of curl activator to use and the benefits of.
THANKS LADIEZZ

yvette

For my braided hair, I use S-Curl activator in the blue and white bottle. The benefits for me is that this activator contains B5 which is great for the hair. Personally, I have never used activator when my hair is either pressed or relaxed, only when I have braids or weave in.

Armyqt

Hey NayNay, like Yvette I use the S-Curl No Drip Curl Activator. I've been using it for almost 2wks now. I am stretching my relaxer out to 3 months. What it does is soften up my new growth real well and it keeps my hair VERY moisturized, which for me equals no breakage. I really don't think that you can use this stuff if you want to wear your hair out in a style. It's good for doing a wet or dry ponytail. This was a recommendation to me from someone else here. Adrienne is the "curl activator" queen though. Maybe she will chime in. HTH.

Tara

I don't relax, but Curl Activator is awesome! I used to Care Free Curl (CFC) because that leaves my hair feeling the softest.

Most activators have glycerine which is a humectant, and some sort of protein which is great for providing strength to the hair. Curl Activator is great for moisture, which helps to retain length.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif HTH

JerseyGirl

My father-in-law (yes, father-in-law) has been using S-Curl Activator for years and let me tell you that man has more hair than Little Richard and Don King but together. If he combed it all out I will bet any amount of money that its would be bra strap length. And yes, his hair is soft and manageable. He has more hair than his wife (she wears a wig) and when he combs it out he teases her and says "Don't you wish you had long hair like this."

lshevonne

I think I'll try the Curl Activator. I just did a retouch so maybe I'll wait a little before I try it. I wear my hair pulled back or up in a bun, should I use it now or when I get some new growth in?

G

I think that I may try it again.

When I was younger, my mother put it in my hair and before I knew it, my hair was falling out. But, it could have been other factors. I think I may check out all the ingredients, and then, only try it on a small amount of hair to see what happens.

Tara

IMO you should use it now (Adrienne any advice on this?) because it will moisturize your ENDS as well as the new growth. In fact avoid getting this on your scalp as it itches like crazy.

But you should use it now to perserve your ends in order to retain length.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nita4

Ishevonne, I just had a re-touch and I use it. I wear my in a french roll and it keeps it soft and moisturized. So far no problems. I shampoo/condition twice a week and pin it up. When I do wear my hair out - I don't use it. Which isn't often at all.

garr6982

I agree 100%! During my relaxed days I went one year without putting any heat in my hair. I still maintained touch-ups but only washed my hair, parted it in sections (remember how Mom used to do when we were little /images/graemlins/grin.gif), put in the activator, adding extra to the ends, put it in a bun, or other protective style and that was that! My hair grew like it never had in my life, at lease 2 inches past shoulder length)!

Since I'm so hard on myself in acknowledging any growth, I performed two hair length test to see if it fell in my own personal category that I called long and not just medium or passing /images/graemlins/wink.gif:

1. Could I make a bun twist with my hair without a hair twist/pin/etc. Yes!!!
2. Could I pull my hair all to one side over one shoulder! Yes!!

I know these were silly tests but after my hair would only get so long and then break, this was truly an accomplishment for me to actually have long hair!

Now that I am natural, I use it in one of my many spray bottle concoctions for comb out.

Sorry so long!

Tara

BTW Lshevonne,

I just wanted to say, I checked out your photos, and your hair looks really healthy!! Congratulations, it looks very healthy with a nice sheen.

I think with the addition of the activator, you'll be on your way to the length you want in no time! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does the Worlds of Curls Curl Activator count as one of the things you all are talking about.Have any of you used this brand of curl activator. Does it really help your hair to grow. Does it have any other benefits such as preventing split ends? Will this cause any side effects on my hair?

SVT

I think I'm going to look for my bottle of Care Free Curl Gold and try it out again.

Tara

I know Adrienne uses this activator. Curl Activator doesn't help your hair to grow, but it helps it to retain the length, prevent breakage, and provide elasticity so you can RETAIN length. This is a product that goes on your hair not the scalp btw (by the way).

Any curl activator is good, as long as the first ingredients are water and glycerin. Then from there you have to play with the brand to which is best for you.

G

Hey yall. Here's a description I found on the World of Curls Activator/Conditioner and Oil Sheen all in one. I think I'm going to try this product since it did mention use for relaxed hair. This was at Walgreens. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Worlds Of Curls
Curl Activator Conditioner & Oil Sheen
Moisterizer
6 oz.
Price/Unit: $0.42/oz.
Price: $2.49
Quantity:

Worlds of Curls Curl Activato,r (for extra dry hair), is another key step in our total hair care maintenance system. Worlds of Curls Activator starts work instantly; stimulating and locking hair into lustrous curls without leaving it chalky or sticky. The (Gel) Curl Activator, Conditioner, and Oil-Sheen, (3 steps in one), is especially formulated to moisturize, condition and allow growth while helping to prevent split-ends and breakage in relaxed hair and cold waves. Worlds of Curls leaves your hair soft and curly, change-free and with a healthy sheen in only one application.

Instructions
1. Squeeze 1/2 to 1 inch Curl Activator into palm and rub hands together then massage thoroughly into hair and scalp.
2. Comb or pick into desired style.

Ingredients
Water , Glycerin , Propylene Glycol , Peg-75 , Lanolin , Trithanolamine , Carbomer , Fragrance , Imidazilidinyl Urea , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Phosphoric Acid , Yellow #5 CI 19140 , Red #33 CI 17200 , Blue #1 CI 42090 , Red #4 CI 14700

Warnings & Precautions
Keep out of reach of children. Keep hair away from open flame.

adrienne0914

armyqt is right... i am the curl activator queen!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif it is one of the most important ingredients in my regime!!

i prefer S-curl No Drip spray and World of Curls gel in the tub. as long as glycerine is pretty high up on the ingredient list, i think any of them will do. my preference is based more on scent than anything else. theirs are both light to almost non-existent. i just bought some by IC that someone said didn't itch. so i'm gonna try that the next time i wash. i hope they're right. you DO want to avoid getting it on your scalp. it can itch it something fierce. lol!

tara knows me so well... chiming in... if you're wearing updos, lshevonne, USE IT NOW! it just makes the hair so manageable.

adrienne

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I like Care Free Curl Gold and Long Aid Curl Activator Gel w/ Aloe Vera. I'm transistioning to natural hair and usually wear braids or a ponytail and my hair loves this stuff. But for 'touchable' hair, I would use something else.

NayNay

Well I did it! I purchased the No Drip S curl activator. I am tripping so hard because I remember all the JHERI JUICERS back in the day! Now I am ONE!!!!
SMILE and I guess I will have to stay AWAY from all Open flames, fireplaces, and cigarettes now hmmmmmm SMILE /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MSCHICHI

Adrienne,

What is the one by IC called?

I like Care Free Curl Gold (99% oil free), and a friend of mine with gorgeous relaxed hair, swears by Lustrasilks (the one in the pink and white bottle) Mine is natural, but I think I will try it out.

G

Ay ya'll!

I got me some World of Curls Activator/Gel, and whatever the else it is! I'm excited! I am only going to test it on a few strands because I don't want my hair falling out like what happened to me years ago.

lshevonne

Tara and Adrienne, thanks for the info. I love using the Curl Activator. My hair so managable and it has helped with the shedding. I guess that's what my hair needs is a lot of moisture in it. Just like my skin...DRY LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

SO FAR, SO GOOD!

I bought the World of Curls gel activator, and last night, I tested it on a small chunk. So far, so good!

It made it feel a little strawy-like, but when I scrunched it, it did produce a wave. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Integrity

i didnt even know curl activators could be used on relaxed hair! i love this board. again, another piece of info a stylist wont even know (or tell you!)thanx!

G

So true.

From hanging out at this board, I am learning how uneducated my hairdresser is. She's very uneducated! Cutting off unecessary hair when I didn't even have split ends. I haven't let her cut my hair in two months and it is STRETCHING!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jenai

Thank you so much for all your advice Adrienne!!! I went and bought some of the S-Curl activator and put some in my hair and put it a ponytail. Hours later and it still feels soft and moisturised!

BTW, I also bought Luster's Pink Glosser spray. I bought some last year and loved it. It has shea butter and jojoba oil in it and it smells so good. I used to lightly spray my hair with this each day after a rollerset and loved that it was so light. and left my hair soft and frize-free.

adrienne0914

mschichi, the product is called "IC Pure Tea Silky Gel Moisturizer Activator." i used it for the first time this morning. i really like it, but i can't use it alone. i have to add gel to my hair to keep it in place, but i REALLY like it. i still avoided my scalp so i don't know whether it will itch from it.

YAY, karonica! this is great news!! keep us posted. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

daviine

Adrienne----stop mentioning names of curl activators...you know I have to go and buy every brand of curl activator. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Madison

i love me some s curl moisturizer gel. sometimes i find my self just rubbing my roots they feel so soft and curly. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

G

Ooohhh!

I can't wait to wash my hair tonight! Heheheee! I still got that one wave from when I did some strand tests on Thursday! Heheheee! /images/graemlins/grin.gif