Quick & Beautiful Spiral Curls with Caruso Rollers

Isis

Today, after rollerset airdrying my hair overnight, I had to leave in a hurry. I was about to put my hair up in a French Twist when I thought about spiral curling my hair with my Caruso steam rollers. I’ve done this before with a tendril or two while wearing a bun but not all over my head. I did this very quickly, spiraling locks of hair along the length of my small sized rollers (not overlapping) and in 10 minutes, my hair was full of beautiful spiral waves with lots of body!!
I ran out the door with no time to “primp” and got compliments all day! This was so unexpected – why I haven’t done this before, I don’t know. I have flexi-rods but I haven't mastered them yet. I just had to share this with you ladies.

(If this method has been posted before, please forgive me - I must have missed it!)

inthepink

Sounds beautiful! I haven't used my caruso setter in a while...may have to take it out soon! Thanks for the tip!

Isis

You're welcome Hairlove! Just now I dug out my little Caruso instruction booklet and on page 10 are step by step instructions on how to make spiral curls and on page 17 is a picture of a woman wearing long spiral curls, with diagrams on how to do this. I guess I never read my instruction book all the way through because I sure missed this one!

MissJ

Sounds like a nice style. Good job on you "discovering" it.
I need to get me some of those rollers.

Armyqt

Sounds great Iris. I really like the Caruso. It's the only thing I use for curls anymore. No more curling iron for me.

BrEE

[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
Isis!

Help me! I only got limp, whimpy curls......boo-hoo!

[/ QUOTE ]

me toooooooo. i've tried and tried and my curls always come out flat!. and does anyone else's hair stick to the sponge thingy a little too much???

BlkHoneyLuv2U

[ QUOTE ]
bree said:
[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
Isis!

Help me! I only got limp, whimpy curls......boo-hoo!

[/ QUOTE ]

me toooooooo. i've tried and tried and my curls always come out flat!. and does anyone else's hair stick to the sponge thingy a little too much???

[/ QUOTE ]
When I use mine, I shake the curler in a downward motion to remove excess moisture from the curler, I then curl my hair and sit under my hooded dryer for 10 to 15 minutes to lock my curls in.

jainygirl

wow, sounds like you were having the "absolutely beautiful without trying day" ooohhh those are fun
i love my Caruso's
gonna go play with mine tomorrow and hope i have that kind of day

melodee

Thanks Isis, I have to try this. I use Carusos as well. I did my tendrils (in my french roll pics) with Carusos. They held up well.

Isis

Bree and QueenofMean -

Perhaps the product on your hair before putting in your rollers could be interfering with the curl pattern.

In the Black Hair section of my instruction booklet, it says "Important: Do not set hair that contains curl activator...gummy moisturizer...heavy oil...or any product that leaves hair feeling damp". Although I never use a setting lotion, it says "a light setting lotion may be used before setting for extra body only if the hair is thoroughly dry."

There are separate instructions for relaxed and for natural black hair.

Also, steaming the roller for about 8 seconds and the roller shield for 2 seconds (not longer) is supposed to double the curling power and give you the strongest curl possible. I haven't steamed the shields yet, I may try it.

Remember that every second counts. "Do not remove the roller from the steamer until you are ready to wrap your hair. Then, be sure to wrap your hair as quickly as possible." If you wait a few seconds after removing the roller from the steamer, it's too late and you'll have to start over, preferably with another roller (you can come back to that roller later).

And remember not to oversteam the rollers. Over 15 seconds is way too long. I leave it on for 8 seconds at the most. 5 seconds will work well for my hair also.

Make sure you have good stream pressure coming out also. That means make sure there is enough salt and water in the container.

I hope this helps. Maybe someone else has some tips to avoid flat curls also.

Isis

Thanks MissJ and ladies!

Jainygirl - I wish you and all of the ladies here many "absolutely beautiful without trying days" too!

Honi

There is no board.
Isis, you mentioned salt and water. The older models used a pinch of salt in the water do you still have one of those? I have both. The one you use salt and one without. Queen, your hair should be relatively clean and dry. No oily products or anything like that or else you will end up with limp curls. I’ve never used setting lotion. The steam is what sets/locks in your curls. Remember if you oversteam the rollers, just give it a couple of shakes.

Donda

Re: Quick & Beautiful Spiral Curls with Caruso Rol

If you want the curls to be more defined try using a LITTLE bit of Motions Foam Wrap Lotion on the ends before you roll your hair. Some have suggested mixing setting lotion with water and placing it in the unit. Tried it once and it worked nice.

But remember to only let the roller stay on the steamer no more then 3-5 seconds for very short hair, 6-8 for hair at chin to sholder length, and 8-10 for pass the sholder.

Hope this helps

nijilah

This may sound weird, but I never thought that those rollers would work for naturals (4a/b). I don't know if I am right or wrong, but just wondering.

H

honey_jammz82

[ QUOTE ]
nijilah said:
This may sound weird, but I never thought that those rollers would work for naturals (4a/b). I don't know if I am right or wrong, but just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am natural, and they work for me. I have to make sure I shake all the water off before I put them on my hair. I also use my handheld dryer for about 2 min while the curlers are in my hair.

G

I didn't know that you could use these curlers for natural hair either. They don't revert the hair?

Isis

There are instructions Natori with the Caruso rollers (under Black Hair care) on how to use them with natural hair, without any reverting.

G

Thanks for answering, Isis. Someone mentioned that there are two models of the Caruso "curlers"-the older one uses salt or something like that...I wonder which model works best.

Isis

That's a good question Natori. I must have the older model because I have to add a pinch of salt (it comes with a tiny spoon that holds just a few grains of salt) - not always but the very first time and only if the steam isn't as strong as usual. I'm not sure what makes the newer model make steam if it doesn't have salt added. The main thing is that steam comes out so I would think both work just as good.

G

Thanks again for explaining. Now I want to get the "Caruso system" since I can use it on my natural hair without reversion. I wonder if there are any of the old models still around...I did a search online and I only saw the new model which says it uses no salt..but I guess it doesn't matter. I would love to get those spiral curls that you achieved Isis.

Isis

Natori - you may want to check Ebay, and thrift shops also, making sure none of the rollers have been used, of course. I found mine by "accident" at a garage sale last summer - a complete system in the box unused with all of the rollers still in their original sealed plastic bags (even an extra bag of rollers!). I'm looking at my box right now and the woman sold it to me for only $7! She even put the original receipt from 1992 in the box which came to a total of $53.91! She was a product junkie like many of us and never even opened her box. I was so greatful. I think that finds like this can happen to anyone.

G

I might check out Ebay...but someone made me an offer...like you said it's important to know if they have never been used though.