Naturals that are protein sensitive ?? anyone

Natirelle

Everytime I use protein my little curls snap of (breakage). So I just came up with the conclusion my hair doesnt like protein.

I used Africa's Best Hair Mayo, and Lustrasilk Herbal deep conditoning (it contains protein). For some strange reason when I use those products my curls pop like crazy and then later snap.

I do utilize gentle handling, detangling with a wide tooth comb,and moisturizing and sealing, Iprotective style with extension and now Im having a break from having kinky twist in for a 1 1/2 (Im a DIYER) !! {I have 5 inches of hair)

At the moment I'm using Queen Helene Cholestrol deep conditioner, it does wonders for my hair even though it contains mineral oil.

So is anyone else in the same boat? or got out of it and what suggestions would you make to me and the others?:cup:

Last edited:

ryanshope

Mmmh..I haven't had a protein treatment since going natural; I don't need one....why do you feel the need to do one--especially if your hair is sensitive to it? Just curious---what kinds of protein? Just the cholesterol and such or others...?

I DO alot of co-washing and I twist with Rusk Deep Shine(bio-marine based conditioner) this contains algae, kelp and marine protein---my hair has been thriving ever since I adopted this routine--it is cheap, easy and I am kinda lazy right now.

I also seal with castor oil when I remember or grease my scalp with Sulfur 8 after washing(my scalp loves it).

~A~

Stacy TheLady

I am also protein sensitive. My hair hates too much of it!

The only protein conditioner that my hair sort of likes is Profective Mega Growth. It contains Wheat Germ and Wheat Germ Oil, Oat Protein and some other protein stuff & very good ones at that. I only leave it in for about 30 minutes under a shower cap, which I double up on because i think the heat builds up better when i wear two.

After rinsing i follow up with Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea Butter and Mango & I add Coconut Oil & EVOO. That works for me very well and counteracts the brittleness of using the protein. The Cholesterol is mild.

The Profectiv does not have my hair very brittle once I do not exceed 30mins. There is also an oil to this conditioner. I love it and it smells great. Then i rinse and air dry, moisturize, seal and protective style for the week. (twists/cornrows)

I am satisfied with those results from the Profectiv and I will stick to it.

Right now i am doing an Amla Oil and Rice Bran Oil experiment and so far so good, my hair is so healthy. I really need to focus on filling in my temple area and achieving my growth goal of below BSL

PPGbubbles

Yes my hair hates pretty much all protein condistioners :(.... The only protien product I like is Aphogee treatment I used it once every 6 to 8 weeks... My hair definately feels stronger afterward yet still soft. I make sure to use no other protien conditioners between treatments.

I find that by adding aphogee my hair is less prone to breakage during wash days and it feels better when I take out my braids or sew ins.

And another reason I do protein treatments is because my hair was extremely porous, I would get soggy hair 4rm DCs some times... Aphogee cut down on this for me too! But now I encorporoated Roux Porosity controll in my routine so maybe I could go a lil farther in between treatments ?

Neith

I'm definitely protein sensitive :yep:

When I use protein, my hair gets extra hard and tangly. Even after a moisturizing DC.

I don't need protein, but I do know that I cause a small amount of damage to my hair when I detangle or manipulate it. So I still want at least a little protein in my regimen.

For protein once a month I use a light source of protein just for a few minutes. Milk, Silk Amino Acids, Aloe Vera Gel and Coconut Milk work well for me.

I haven't found a commercial protein based product that doesn't make my hair hard.

I'm also thinking about trying light protein as a pre poo. :)

blksndrlla

I'm a transitioner...but I can't take anything, but the aphogee 2-step about once every blue moon. I don't care if it is a cheapie co-wash...if it has protein in it my hair goes bonkers! So, I am stearing clear of them...

Natirelle

Mmmh..I haven't had a protein treatment since going natural; I don't need one....why do you feel the need to do one--especially if your hair is sensitive to it? Just curious---what kinds of protein? Just the cholesterol and such or others...?

I DO alot of co-washing and I twist with Rusk Deep Shine(bio-marine based conditioner) this contains algae, kelp and marine protein---my hair has been thriving ever since I adopted this routine--it is cheap, easy and I am kinda lazy right now.

I also seal with castor oil when I remember or grease my scalp with Sulfur 8 after washing(my scalp loves it).

~A~
I was anxious to find out, what my hair likes and dislikes. I wore kinky twist for 6 months and thought I was in need of a protein treatment.:sad:
Now I know my hair doesnt like it, it turns into tangle city.:yep:

Thanks for the responses ladies!!

Miss AJ

But if protein overload is a possibilty, wouldn't that mean everyone is "protein sensitive"? I've never heard anyone say their hair hates moisture but i ALWAYS hear about someone's hair hating protein. Our hair is made of protein so I've always been confused by that statement.

ETA: If your hair is already in good condition I could see how a strong protein would make your hair go nuts, but I don't get what people mean when they say it hates protein.

Last edited:

Neith

But if protein overload is a possibilty, wouldn't that mean everyone is "protein sensitive"? I've never heard anyone say their hair hates moisture but i ALWAYS hear about someone's hair hating protein. Our hair is made of protein so I've always been confused by that statement.

ETA: If your hair is already in good condition I could see how a strong protein would make your hair go nuts, but I don't get what people mean when they say it hates protein.

No, everyone isn't protein sensitive. Many people around here use aubrey's GPB and other products that contain protein... and it leaves them with soft hair. That will not be the case for me.

It's nothing hard to understand. Putting protein based products on my hair and leaving it in for more than a few minutes makes it very hard and tangled. Even light proteins. My hair just doesn't like it.

Miss AJ

I GET that certain proteins act differently for everyone, but what I'm asking is if protein overload is a possibility for anyone regardless of how much protein their hair can handle then technically we are all protein sensitive to a certain degree, right?

Neith

I GET that certain proteins act differently for everyone, but what I'm asking is if protein overload is a possibility for anyone regardless of how much protein their hair can handle then technically we are all protein sensitive to a certain degree, right?

Yep.

Some people's hair is sensitive to protein, some people's hair likes a lot of protein... most people probably fall somewhere in the middle and are fine with protein in moderation.

As an example - I don't think that many people's hair would survive using a hardcore reconstructor every single day. There is a limit.

Just like baggying 24/7 with moisturizing conditioners every single day for a long period of time can lead overmoisturized, mushy hair. Too much of anything can be bad.

However, I describe my hair as being particularly protein sensitive because it doesn't respond well to protein at all. Everyone is not "protein sensitive" by that definition.

Natirelle

No, everyone isn't protein sensitive. Many people around here use aubrey's GPB and other products that contain protein... and it leaves them with soft hair. That will not be the case for me.

It's nothing hard to understand. Putting protein based products on my hair and leaving it in for more than a few minutes makes it very hard and tangled. Even light proteins. My hair just doesn't like it.

If I was to put a protein on my hair from 3-5 mins my hair will be dry and breaking regard less compared to 5 mins to 1 hour I get the same side affects.. My curls would be defined but they will be popping off.:nono: So I was realize that it was breaking my hair and I wasnt retaining any length (with protective styles), I stop using it and oh god did I retain some length.:grin:

Mook's hair

I'm definitely protein sensitive but to animal proteins and super strong protein like apHogee.

Try using Silk Protein instead. It works wonderfully for me.

werenumber2

I'm protein sensitive with a twist.

I can use all the protein conditioners and treatments in the world - Aubrey's GPB, TIGI Oatmeal & Honey, Hairveda Moisture Pro, Aphogee - and my hair will love it. However, the minute I start using a leave-in, butter, gel, cream...basically any sort of styler with protein (Ecostyler, Giovanni Direct, Shescentit Seyani Butter, etc), my hair will become dry and bushy.

I'm good with protein as long as it's in rinse-out form.

Neith

If I was to put a protein on my hair from 3-5 mins my hair will be dry and breaking regard less compared to 5 mins to 1 hour I get the same side affects.. My curls would be defined but they will be popping off.:nono: So I was realize that it was breaking my hair and I wasnt retaining any length (with protective styles), I stop using it and oh god did I retain some length.:grin:

We all have different hair. I was specifically talking about my own hair in the quote you posted.

There is a lot of variety among all of us. Even within categories and sub categories, we're all individuals :yep:

There's no way I would leave an actual commercial protein conditioner in my hair for any length of time either though, lol.

Only natural stuff (as a source of protein) doesn't upset my hair - and only if I don't leave it in long. Weird.

darlingdiva

I'm protein sensitive with a twist.

I can use all the protein conditioners and treatments in the world - Aubrey's GPB, TIGI Oatmeal & Honey, Hairveda Moisture Pro, Aphogee - and my hair will love it. However, the minute I start using a leave-in, butter, gel, cream...basically any sort of styler with protein (Ecostyler, Giovanni Direct, Shescentit Seyani Butter, etc), my hair will become dry and bushy.

I'm good with protein as long as it's in rinse-out form.

This is so true about my hair too!

Natirelle

We all have different hair. I was specifically talking about my own hair in the quote you posted.

There is a lot of variety among all of us. Even within categories and sub categories, we're all individuals :yep:

There's no way I would leave an actual commercial protein conditioner in my hair for any length of time either though, lol.

Only natural stuff (as a source of protein) doesn't upset my hair - and only if I don't leave it in long. Weird.

I was agreeing with you, and telling the person you quoted my difference with protein.:yep:

fattyfatfat

I have a quick question:

I used hairveda's Moist Condition PRO- Daily Protein Enhanced Conditioner last week for a few minutes last week and my hair was sooooo dry after using it :(. My hair was hard to detangle and a week later, it still felt like hay! would my hair be protein sensitive? it was my first time using this product.