Protein treatment but still breaking!!

UniquelyDivine

Here is the deal, I stretched for 12 weeks with no breaking and very little shedding. I did a mild protein treatment before my relaxer and Aphoghee 2 step two weeks after because I noticed my strands were breaking. It stopped for a week but it is breaking again and shedding like a *****!!! What to do?!?!?

UniquelyDivine

This is my comb after EVERY pass.....

Keshieshimmer

My only advice would be to limit your mechanical damage, so cut down on the combing. Also you have to be consistent with treatments, FYI I have never experienced the immediate stoppage of breakage.

Is that every pass on a part of your hair or the whole head?

Fine 4s

Here are the issues that people discuss here:
1-Recent health check? Maybe some medical issue
2-Breakage could be due to something else like too much moisture rather than protein. Or are you not moisturizing enough?
3-Are you using any new products (examine prducts to determine if protein heavy)or doing a different regimen
4-Some people have mentioned that 'stretching' their relaxers didn't work for them
5-Styling issues-how are you styling your hair? Scrunchies? elastics etc?
6-Grooming tools ripping the hair?
7-ETA after reading the response-Someone women cannot go long without combing their hair. Some haver reported more issued by not doing so.

Going through these questions may help you narrow down the culprit....

UniquelyDivine

I rarely comb my hair and I thought that all the strands were maybe just an accumulation of hair that hadn't been brushed out, this is from my whole head. Its a mixture of long shedded hair and short broke off pieces

lovelexi

Here are the issues that people discuss here:
1-Recent health check? Maybe some medical issue
2-Breakage could be due to something else like too much moisture rather than protein. Or are you not moisturizing enough?
3-Are you using any new products (examine prducts to determine if protein heavy)or doing a different regimen
4-Some people have mentioned that 'stretching' their relaxers didn't work for them
5-Styling issues-how are you styling your hair? Scrunchies? elastics etc?
6-Grooming tools ripping the hair?
7-ETA after reading the response-Someone women cannot go long without combing their hair. Some haver reported more issued by not doing so.

Going through these questions may help you narrow down the culprit....
What she said in bold :yep: Maybe you should lay off the protein for a while and up the DCs

UniquelyDivine

Are you due for a trim?

It has been a while since I had a trim, to answer the other questions I use ors daily leave in but have been slacking on my weekly DC treatments. I did one a week after my protein treatment, I always seem to run into this problem with protein vs moisture. I just assumed it was a protein issue because I had not had one in a looong time prior to my relaxer

blessedandlucky

I was having the same problem (still not sure why triggered it, although I suspect my highlights) and used alter ego garlic conditioner and saw a significant decrease after the first wash. I've used it twice more and dont have hair in my comb:) it's a bit pricey but definitely worth the investment. Also, if you purchase make sure to deep condition afterwards. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

nymane

You said you used a "mild" protein treatment? What was it? Maybe you need a stronger protein or maybe you need more moisture...how does your hair normally feel? And what's your regimen?

Lovelylocs

Maybe you need a hot oil treatment? Sometimes not having enough oil on your hair strand can lead to breakage too.

ceebee3

It has been a while since I had a trim, to answer the other questions I use ors daily leave in but have been slacking on my weekly DC treatments. I did one a week after my protein treatment, I always seem to run into this problem with protein vs moisture. I just assumed it was a protein issue because I had not had one in a looong time prior to my relaxer

This really stands out to me. I think you need moisture ASAP. Did you not follow up your protein treatment with moisture right away?

If not you could be experiencing protein overload. You need to deep condition with moisture at least twice a week to see if your breakage stops.

How do your strands react when wet? Do they break right away (too much protein) or stretch for a really long time (too much moisture)?