What length did you start washing your hair in sections?

What length did you start washing your hair in sections?

• Shoulder Length

Votes: 62 51.7%
  • APL; I'm natural

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • APL; I'm texlaxed

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • APL; I'm relaxed

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • BSL; I'm natural

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • BSL; I'm texlaxed

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • BSL; I'm relaxed

• MBL; I'm natural

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • MBL; I'm texlaxed

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • MBL; I'm relaxed

• Total voters

naturalmanenyc

I never washed in sections, even when I was relaxed, BSL. I detangle in sections once I add my leave-ins. I'm between SL & APL now, almost fully natural.

aquajoyice

I only started washing in sections once I started stretching.To prevent tangling with my new growth. But once I texlax i'll go back to washing all together.

Creatividual

I'm natural and my hair isn't quite SL yet (NL in the back about chin length in the front), and I already wash, condition and detangle my hair in sections. It has been a god send. My hair doesn't tangle as much and I lose a lot less hair doing so.

LovinLea

i started doing it about 7 months into my transition. my hair just sticks together and mats too much at the roots.

I'm CBL/4ab/natural and have to wash in sections to avoid tangles. I'm sure I'd be at least APL if I hadn't lost so much hair along the journey.

zzirvingj

Once I got close to APL length hair (straightened), I started washing my hair in sections.

And thank GOD I learned that that needed to be done, else who knows! I might STILL be struggling trying to detangle a whole head of hair all at one time in the shower LMAO :lachen:

Washing in sections has been one of the best changes that occurred to me over the course of growing out my hair. I'm natural, by the way....

MochaEyeCandy

I've always washed in sections, even when my hair was so short it could barely be sectioned :lol:. My hair is uber thick and loooooooooves to tangle.

GreenD

My hair is about 5 inches now, so I just started washing in 4 sections because of thickness and I think this it THE best cleaning and conditioning of my hair yet!! Not because of the products, but because I was able to work with each section and I LOVE the results. Will definitely keep washing, conditioning, etc. in sections. My life and hair is soooo much easier now because of it.

baddison

natural for good
Can anyone post a vid on how they wash in sections? I want to try this, but I'm confused on how to do it successfully. I'm almost APL stretched, and my concern is that if I braid or twist my hair while washing, does the dirt actually get out of my hair...or is it wrapped up and intertwined with the braid?

Is there a video out and about where I can watch what this looks like? :perplexed:

Kacie

Can anyone post a vid on how they wash in sections?

I think Robin of growafrohairlong has a video up of how to wash hair in sections.

I'm past APL and I wash in sections depending on how much NG I have. Usually at around 6-8 weeks post I spilt my hair down the middle and wash that way until I relax.

baddison

natural for good
I think Robin of growafrohairlong has a video up of how to wash hair in sections.

I'm past APL and I wash in sections depending on how much NG I have. Usually at around 6-8 weeks post I spilt my hair down the middle and wash that way until I relax.

Thx. I'll go check out her website.:yep:

WantNatural

When I joined the board, I was APL and I started to transition. As more and more new growth grew in, I found that I needed to start washing my hair in sections to help with detangling afterward. I grew to a little longer than BSL and washed in 2 sections.

Same here. I just joined the board a few months ago and was and am APL. I started detangling, moisturizing, washing, and conditioning in two sections a few weeks ago after viewing Chicoro's fotki. I knew I should have started sooner than that but I'm hard headed. For me it was more the new growth than the length.

Sapphire_chic

Updated lol: i still wash loose but i detangle in 4 sections in the shower with my denman. My hair isn't very dense.

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

I'm mbl and I do not wash in sections. Its way too time consuming and does not cut down on detangling for me.....I guess I kind of do 2 sections because I always lean to the side and I have a permanent part but it's not intentional. But I detangle in 4 sections outside of the shower.

SimpleKomplexity

I don't do it, but I know I should I don't do it out of laziness. My hair tangles mad when I pile it on the top of my head with Shampoo. I washed my hair in sections once, and it was much easier to detangle and rollerset. I just find it hard to break bad habits

baddison

natural for good
I don't do it, but I know I should I don't do it out of laziness. My hair tangles mad when I pile it on the top of my head with Shampoo. I washed my hair in sections once, and it was much easier to detangle and rollerset. I just find it hard to break bad habits

You actually PILE your hair on top of you head?!! :thud:.... :nono:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I have never washed in sections, even when I was APL and transitioning. I've never had a problem with tangles when shampooing, in fact the tangles I might have had when dry go away when I shampoo. Go figure! :spinning:

ckisland

I just started doing this last week :lol:. When I shampoo, I don't do sections at all. The last few times I cowashed, I divided my hair in half, applied a little condish to each side, and then clipped each side up. I think I'm going to keep doing it because 1) I use less condish 2) keeps my hair off my neck so that I don't get body wash in my hair :look: . I do the same thing when I detangle (sometimes), but I don't twist or braid my hair to keep it from retangling. It just doesn't do that. At least not to the point that I notice.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
When I was passed APL, nearing BSL I started splitting my hair into 2 sections (left and right). At the sink, I'd lean to the side and shampoo one side, clip it away then shampoo the other side. Then I'd put conditioner on both sides and DC. I'd then detangle and rinse one side at a time.

Now that I'm right back at the APL mark, I just do it all at once in the shower.

FebeeSigns

I started washing my hair when I became APL stretched. I was shoulder length unstretched (natural) and a little beyond shoulder length when my hair became wet in the shower. So technically I was around the shoulder length mark when washing. It made things so much easier. I take the 4 sections and I braid them up while washing

Is it just me or is there a trend in hair length and washing techniques?

Now that my hair is retaining more and more length, I've noticed I need to be careful while washing my hair to prevent tangles. Some ladies here section their hair in braids or pig tails and wash each section separately. So long haired ladies, when did you adopt this technique and what caused you to do so?
If I would have thought of it earlier I would have done it while I was at APL. Its sooooooooooooo much easier to wash your hair that way. No tangles no headaches and I save a lot of time. Im between BSL and MBL. I think.

vestaluv1

I started washing my hair in sections when I got to APL, but at the time I was transitioning and had a lot of new growth. Now I am relaxed and somewhere around MBL and (because I don't have major issues with tangling) I don't wash in sections anymore.