Proven Products for Thinning Edges and Fine Hair

Wolftrap

Wow I haven't posted in this section of the board for months. Ok well here is my problem I want to know what you ladies have tried to bring your edges back that has been proven to work. Also what products may I use to thicken my hair. I don't want to do castor oil because it is not permanent. I want something to permanently thicken my hair. I have also tried B Complex vitamins to thicken it and that hasn't worked either. Unless maybe I need to change the brand. Please, any suggestions?

TIA

carmend

I dont know for sure about thickening ur hair but I thought biotin helped w/that?

For the thinning edges the Organic Root Stimulators Fertilizing Temple Balm is a sure winner. Its worked for me and other friends that I recommened to. Here is a pic of the product...

L

lkg4healthyhair

I have been using Nioxin Follicule Booster and Nexxus Biotin Creme on my hair line and I can't say it has grown (only using 3 weeks) it has has not gotten worse and looks a lot better. I have been surging my entire scalp 1x day also. I don't have an answer for the thickener....

If you do a search on Nexxus Biotin creme or surge you may find some threads on the hair line also.

Kalani

Nioxin follicle booster helped re-grow new hair around my sides. Pretty good considering I slacked off on using it everyday and still got good results. Its a little expensive though.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Things that have helped with my thinning edges...

Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil (used before LHCF)
Surge Plus 14 (only used two bottles, don't have this anymore)
NatureMade Super B-Complex (currently taking)

And this is not a product but... going natural is helping significantly! :yep:

Mariaat40

Have you treid Pantothenic acid (B5) specifically? I just started taking them to thicken up my fine hair so I can't talk about my own results but Nyambura swears by them. I'm taking a 500 mg dose twice a day.

Wolftrap

carmend said:
I dont know for sure about thickening ur hair but I thought biotin helped w/that?

For the thinning edges the Organic Root Stimulators Fertilizing Temple Balm is a sure winner. Its worked for me and other friends that I recommened to. Here is a pic of the product...

I have seen this in the stores. I think I am going to pick some up today. How long did it take for you to notice a difference? No one has any suggestions for thicker hair. I want to try something that someone has already seen results with.

Wolftrap

Mariaat40 said:
Have you treid Pantothenic acid (B5) specifically? I just started taking them to thicken up my fine hair so I can't talk about my own results but Nyambura swears by them. I'm taking a 500 mg dose twice a day.

No I hadn't heard of this. Are these vitamins that you take daily?

miracle

I used Profectiv Growth n' Healing Anti-Thinning Circulation Stimulant on my nape area with good results. I had breakage/thinning due to tying my scarf too tightly at night and this product definitely helped to regrow my hair.

carmend

With the ORS I would say you will see results in about 1-2 weeks. I had an actual bald spot on my edges where I had braids and one got yanked out by accident and left a spot. I helped the hair grow back plus thickened up the rest of my edges from too tight braids... It kinda expensive, approx. $12 for that bottle but its worth it...

Wolftrap

carmend said:
With the ORS I would say you will see results in about 1-2 weeks. I had an actual bald spot on my edges where I had braids one got yanked out by accident and let a spot. I helped the hair grow back plus thickened up the rest of my edges from too tight braids... It kinda expensive, approx. $12 for that bottle but its worth it...

Thanks I am definitely going to pick some up when I get off. I wonder if it would thicken my whole head if I used it al over. :p

Mariaat40

Wolftrap said:
No I hadn't heard of this. Are these vitamins that you take daily?

Yep. I got them from GNC. Once (500 mg) in the morning and once (500mg) in the afternoon or evening. Nyambura says she saw results with her first touch up. And she says she hasn't talked to anyone to whom she has recommended them where it hasn't worked. Some other ladies on the board recommended it to her.

carolina_belle

The supplements that I take in addition to my regular hair vitamin have really made an improvement in the thickness of my hair. Tracy told me about biotin, pantothenic acid, and MSM when I first started coming to the board. I call it the Trifecta. It took a while (over a year), but the thickness of my ponytial has improved and it takes bigger rollers to set my hair.

I use Queen Helene garlic shampoo to minimize breakage and that has helped with thicker hair too. Another product I like is Emergencee 1-2 times a month. I have a permanent color so it helps to do it more often. The minimized breakage helps the hair appear thicker. Surge 14 is another great product for thin edges. My mother had thin edges due to hypertension medication, but they have totally come back with the help of Surge 14.

I think that patience with a supplement and Surging routine would lead to good results.

Wolftrap

carolina_belle said:
The supplements that I take in addition to my regular hair vitamin have really made an improvement in the thickness of my hair. Tracy told me about biotin, pantothenic acid, and MSM when I first started coming to the board. I call it the Trifecta. It took a while (over a year), but the thickness of my ponytial has improved and it takes bigger rollers to set my hair.

I use Queen Helene garlic shampoo to minimize breakage and that has helped with thicker hair too. Another product I like is Emergencee 1-2 times a month. I have a permanent color so it helps to do it more often. The minimized breakage helps the hair appear thicker. Surge 14 is another great product for thin edges. My mother had thin edges due to hypertension medication, but they have totally come back with the help of Surge 14.

I think that patience with a supplement and Surging routine would lead to good results.

A YEAR!!!????:eek: Good LAWD if you knew my patience level you would not have told me that. I need a 12 step program for my patience. I have NONE, ZERO and a year my goodness :(

MonaLisa

Off topic...

*Look at Wolftrap da hottie! lol*

Okay...back to thinning edges and fine hair.

*Mo gets a snack*

ElizaBlue

WT

Regular drug store Castor oil grew the nape of my neck from 0 to about 9 inches. This took about 1 year, but it works.

Jewell

I've always heard rave reviews about Organic Root Stimulator Fertilizing Temple Balm. I've also heard great things about the Uplifting Shampoo by the same company.

Wolftrap

MonaLisa said:
Off topic...

*Look at Wolftrap da hottie! lol*

Okay...back to thinning edges and fine hair.

*Mo gets a snack*

:lachen: Thanks girl. Ya'll are too crazy on this board:lachen:

Wolftrap

Jewell said:
I've always heard rave reviews about Organic Root Stimulator Fertilizing Temple Balm. I've also heard great things about the Uplifting Shampoo by the same company.

What does the uplifiting shampoo do? Is that for thickness?

pookeylou

Ya'll know I am a fan of Surge...but to get results you have to do it exactly as the bottle directs. For some that takes a lot of time a patience.

I have found something even simpler though.

I had the side of my head shaved for aneurysm surgery over six months ago. The sides are now completely grown in.

I have been massaging emu oil on my hairline every night. I LOVE IT!!

It is an excellent oil to have for burns, (keep some handy in your medicine cabinet if you dont have aloe vera gel) inflamation, (I broke my ankle several weeks ago. The areas that I can reach under the cast, I massage with this oil. Those sprained, sore areas get immediate relief.) arthritis, etc. An added benefit is hair growth.

I have not updated my album yet but promise to do so soon. The results are wonderful. The stuff is great.

I also noticed my sides returned after I stopped relaxing and pulling my hair too tight on those sides. If the thinning is from "traction alopecia" then you definitely want to be gentle and avoid the braids or manipulation of that area. Once I stopped the behavior that caused the thinning, my sides did return. However you know how impatient we can be...so the Surge helped immensely. Now I like emu oil though.

crml_buttafly

pookeylou said:
Ya'll know I am a fan of Surge...but to get results you have to do it exactly as the bottle directs. For some that takes a lot of time a patience.

I had the side of my head shaved for aneurysm surgery over six months ago. The sides are now completely grown in.

It is an excellent oil to have for burns, (keep some handy in your medicine cabinet if you dont have aloe vera gel) inflamation, (I broke my ankle several weeks ago. The areas that I can reach under the cast, I massage with this oil. Those sprained, sore areas get immediate relief.) arthritis, etc. An added benefit is hair growth.

I have not updated my album yet but promise to do so soon. The results are wonderful. The stuff is great.

I also noticed my sides returned after I stopped relaxing and pulling my hair too tight on those sides. If the thinning is from "traction alopecia" then you definitely want to be gentle and avoid the braids or manipulation of that area. Once I stopped the behavior that caused the thinning, my sides did return. However you know how impatient we can be...so the Surge helped immensely. Now I like emu oil though.

thanks pookeylou after i saw your results i make sure i am consistant with my surging:)

Wolftrap

pookeylou said:

Pookeylou off topic but did you ever purchase the mederma? I have been using it but I can't remember to use it so many times a day. So since I am not using it consistently I haven't seen anymore results.

moonpower

I CAN SEE, SEE THE SUN..
I used the sheep sorrell ointment on my thinning edges. I totally worked!. I also used the cucumber body oil, divine scent. I talked to her before I ordered and she's very helpful.

pookeylou

Wolftrap said:
Pookeylou off topic but did you ever purchase the mederma? I have been using it but I can't remember to use it so many times a day. So since I am not using it consistently I haven't seen anymore results.

No...the Palmers scar serum and emu oil seem to be working great to flatten out the scar and lighten it. I can tell it is looking better.

Jewell

The Uplifting Shampoo supposedly lifts away dead skin cells and other debris from the scalp, and encourages growth. I think it helps with circulation or something, stimulating the hair follicle to grow the hair faster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just can't remember the exact working of it.