HELP! My hair is matted horribly FIX IT!

ThickRoot

Ladies I need help real bad my hair is matted beyond belief! It's scary bad.

Yesterday, I did my usual wash routine, two weeks late but the only thing i did different was I used Dudley's Hair Rebuilder under a plastic cap for 15 minutes. And my hair felt good after I rinsed it out. Then i dc'ed under a plastic cap with KBB luscious locks mask for 45 minutes.

After that all hell broke loose my hair is beyond matted some midshaft, some closer to the root. Ugh, day two and I'm still trying to de-matt and it's not going well.

Do you'll have any suggestions to help me?

I tried to do it wet, dry w/conditioner, w/o conditioner. I used bask silk detangling milk, qb cocoa tree detangling ghee, and coconut oil. Nothing!

Aggie

Wow, gee I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you and to be honest, the only thing I would recommend is Chicoro's moisture drenched prepoo. It helps mewith tangles but your situation is different from mine and I sure hope it works for you and that you're able to detangle it sooner than later.

Here's the link:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
What conditioners did you try to use to de-matt? I would try again with loooots of thick, moisturizing conditioner on dry hair. Let it sit for about an hour, and try again slowly with your fingers.

Do you wash your hair in braided/twisted sections, or loose?

Last edited:

rainbowknots

You may have to finger detangle. I'd start with a small section and pull out the strands one by one making sure to lubricate with oil. It'll be extremely time consuming but you'll save a lot of hair.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Wow. Sorry this happened to you :(

Could it be protein overload? I've had this problem but my hair is short so detangling wasn't as bad. It sure was scary though!

Avoid protein conditioners to detangle. A low pro or no pro conditioner might be needed as well as oiling with anything, really...like EVOO to give it more slip. And like the PP said, saturate it completely and let it sit for a while first. While it's sitting, use your fingers to work the conditioner and oil into the mats to loosen them up before taking a comb to it.

Just be patient and go really slow.

ETA: I only say no protein because using more protein conditioners to detangle could be making it worse. SO best to avoid.:perplexed

Last edited:

ThickRoot

Thanks ladies I'm going to look into this prepoo process. I think I'll try the conditioner thing again because I didn't let it sit a long time and maybe I didn't use enough.

Maybe I didn't use enough oil either....

Thank you SO MUCH for your responses I've been going crazy and your responses are bringing me in from the ledge.

I am definitely finger tangling mixed with my magic rake that's why I'm on day 2, smh.

I used a mix of some trader joe's and lustrasilk.

Could also be protein; for me the dudley's was strong. I never use animal protein but I was trying something new, prepping for my touchup.

ThickRoot

No actually, my hair was sectioned. When I wash I separate my hair in 4 sections and secure each section with a clip. That's my usual, normally works -- not yesterday

QBOE2001

Instead of the coconut oil try olive oil...it always works better for me because it has more weight. Good luck to you.

Peintrose

IMO don't use oil. Try Aussie 3 minute miracle moist deeeep on wet hair then slowly detangle with your hand. Try it in one section of your hair to see if it works. HTH

star78

I had this problem too in the past. I detangled with my fingers and used a lot of Mane & Tail Detangler spray.

ThickRoot

I give up for tonight, I'm sooo tired. Im going to try the suggestions tomorrow and I'll update you ladies with my results.

PJaye

Something similar happened to me after using a protein-laden conditioner.

After rinsing, I noticed that my hair felt rough and hard, and contained a few Bob Marley-sized, matted, dreadlock-looking tangles throughout - some were close to the scalp with others being lower on the strand. The first thing I did was slather an obsecene amount of Tresemme Naturals Nourising Conditioner on my head and began to carefully detangle using both my fingers and a Magic Star Rake.

While this allowed me to successfully untangle the lower matting, the ones close to the scalp remained unaffected. I suppressed the urge to panic and reached for some forgotten JBCO in the back of my closet (I opted for the JBCO because I wanted a thick, smooth, creamy-like oil; and only JBCO and Hairveda's Cocasta fit this bill). I took a deep breath and thoroughly saturated one of the locked mass of tangles with the oil. As I began to slowly work it in with my fingers, I noticed that the dreadlock was loosening and spreading apart. I kept massaging the oil in until the mass became pliable enough to attempt detangling with the comb. I hesitantly applied the comb to the mass and was relieved when it easily slid through. Detangling the remainder became a breeze using the JBCO on top of the conditioner.

So, my suggestion to you is to try using an oil along with a purely moisturizing, slippery conditioner to facilitate better detangling. I wish you the best! HTH.

BlkMane

ThickRoot,

I think you might have added conditioners containing too much protein to your hair. Hair needs protein to stay healthy, but if you overdo it, you can get hard, crunchy, tangled hair. Some hair is more protein-sensitive then others. To counteract, I would wash my hair with a good MOISTURIZING shampoo (protein-free), then put a deep moisturizing conditioner in it. (protein-free).

Check the ingredients of your shampoos and conditioners, to get your softness back, avoid any of them that contain: milk, silk protein, wheat germ oil, hydrolyzed wheat protein, egg, and even ALOE. Aloe has some protein, I believe. I have had Aloe Oil make my hair hard before.

Do you use any Dominican conditioners? Usually the ones in the large tubs in Avocado, like the brand called La Bomba are SUPER moisturizing and contain no protein. Shea Moisture's Shea Butter Conditioner for Dry/Damaged hair is also good. It's a little light, but it is all natural and will soften up your hair. Add some natural HONEY to your moisturizing conditioner and that should soften it up even more. Let us know how it goes.

virtuenow

If the Dudley's was a heavy protein conditioner you must always follow a strong protein conditioner with a moisturizing conditioner. If you have thick roots, like your name suggests, To remedy your situation, I wouldn't use coconut oil at all b/c it contains protein. Maybe you can apply a moisturizing conditioner with a different oil. Are transitioning?

ThickRoot

After the Dudley's hair rebuilder I deep conditioned with Karen's Body Beautiful luscious locks mask that's doesn't contain protein, is highly moisturizing and has excellent slip. Not this time. I'm thinking the protein did me in. Or, I've been sick lately in the hospital for a week and unable to care for my hair like normal I may have had too many shed hairs that I didn't get out.

No I'm not transitioning. I'm 13 weeks post relaxer.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@ThickRoot, very sorry you're going through this. The ladies gave you some excellent suggestions. I had the same thing happen to me in Oct 2011 and unfortunately, I was unable to remove the knots. I chopped 3 good sized knots and my hair has suffered from that setback. My advice is to remove the knots as quickly as possible. The longer you let them stay, the drier they become, the tighter they become and the harder it becomes to detangle/de-matt. I chopped my matted locks about 4 or 5 days post catastrophe.

Ogoma

Find a conditioner with cones and slathered it on your hair. There are times where the slip cones give are needed.

Shadiyah

After the Dudley's hair rebuilder I deep conditioned with Karen's Body Beautiful luscious locks mask that's doesn't contain protein, is highly moisturizing and has excellent slip. Not this time. I'm thinking the protein did me in. Or, I've been sick lately in the hospital for a week and unable to care for my hair like normal I may have had too many shed hairs that I didn't get out.

No I'm not transitioning. I'm 13 weeks post relaxer.

ThickRoot I was going to tell you some of the same things that everyone did. You have to put in a lot of olive oil or canola oil on your hair and work it in real good and wet it with water also.

It will work itself out.

Seamonster

My hair matted and had big knots, I used humectants (glycerin and castor oil), steam heat, and baggied 24/7; it took three days for the shed hairs to slide off.

lamaria211

This happened to me also oncw while taking out micros. it was bad i had to cut a lot of hair off it was from wettint my hair before detangling it:wallbash:
i hope you get thru this without loosing to much hair

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
That happens to me everytime I get a relaxer because I refuse to detangle shed hairs properly before a relaxer. I've became a pro at detangling matted hair and being able to keep hair on my head. First off, my hair will NOT de-mat (if that's a word) if I have ANY type of product or build up in it. My hair also cannot be wet so I wait until it is completely dry. When its dry & clean, I start in sections and pull strands UP and OUT of the knots or shed hairs w/ my fingers. The pulled strands must be small & you will notice that it gently slides up out the shed hairs w/o you tugging on it. What will be left in your other hand when you complete the section is the actual knot/shed hairs that caused the matting. Even though it takes me 4 to 6 hours, the only hair i lose is the hair that already shedded. My hair is super thick & this works like a charm for me everytime. I hope it helps you as well.

Evolving78

don't use anymore conditioner to detangle and don't use any products with protein in them. not even coconut oil based products. get you some olive, avocado, grapeseed, or jojoba oil and finger detangle. it may take you a couple of hours or so. each section you detangle, twist it up. let the oil sit in there for awhile. next get you 2 tablespoons of table salt and mix with a creamy protein free conditioner(3oz or more) apply it to your hair, concentrating on the tangled parts mostly. let that sit until you feel softness. rinse out. stay away from protein products and silicone. keep your hair in twists and don't do nothing else.

i was battling my hair something terrible just last week.

ThickRoot

Ok. so this is what I decided to try first. I went and bought a bottle of hello hydration from herbal essence. I also thought the cones might help and this product has been raved about. The condish I keep in the house is natural, w/traces of protein and pricey. Anyway, I just slathered my hair in this stuff and I'm under a plastic cap.

I'm going to keep this in at least 5 hours -- I may sleep in it and start detangling again. If this doesn't work you ladies have made a lot of good suggestions from prepoos to oils -- I'll try something else. Thanks girls for being here for me, my nerves were shot!

Keep your fingers crossed...

ThickRoot

That happens to me everytime I get a relaxer because I refuse to detangle shed hairs properly before a relaxer. I've became a pro at detangling matted hair and being able to keep hair on my head. First off, my hair will NOT de-mat (if that's a word) if I have ANY type of product or build up in it. My hair also cannot be wet so I wait until it is completely dry. When its dry & clean, I start in sections and pull strands UP and OUT of the knots or shed hairs w/ my fingers. The pulled strands must be small & you will notice that it gently slides up out the shed hairs w/o you tugging on it. What will be left in your other hand when you complete the section is the actual knot/shed hairs that caused the matting. Even though it takes me 4 to 6 hours, the only hair i lose is the hair that already shedded. My hair is super thick & this works like a charm for me everytime. I hope it helps you as well.

I was doing this and it was barely working and taking forever, ugh. My hair usually detangles better dry but it was crazy.

ThickRoot

don't use anymore conditioner to detangle and don't use any products with protein in them. not even coconut oil based products. get you some olive, avocado, grapeseed, or jojoba oil and finger detangle. it may take you a couple of hours or so. each section you detangle, twist it up. let the oil sit in there for awhile. next get you 2 tablespoons of table salt and mix with a creamy protein free conditioner(3oz or more) apply it to your hair, concentrating on the tangled parts mostly. let that sit until you feel softness. rinse out. stay away from protein products and silicone. keep your hair in twists and don't do nothing else.

i was battling my hair something terrible just last week.

Omg I read your reply after I put the conditioner in, smh. Well, let's hope for the best.

Curlykale

I know what it means! The only things that worked for me:

1) While going to buy a lot of aloe juice and oil, since I guess it is an emergency, slather a lot of moisturizing conditioner of dry hair, wear a plastic cap and use heat for 20 min, then rinse. all this without manipulating.

2) This one works even better (Chicoro's prepoo): drench your dry hair in pure aloe juice and then smooth each section with a lot of oil (from root to tip), go to sleep with a plastic cap and rinse the morning after. This one is key, it saved my hair and detangled it when nothing was working, period.

3) keep your hair in braids/twists once detangled, don't use combs (gently separate section by section after deep conditioning with these 2 methods) and you can keep aloe juice and oil in your hair until the problem is solved.

Once your problem is solved, have a light dusting if you see split ends and avoid protein for a while or forever (depending on your hair).

If conditioner behaves like a useless gummy substance, aloe juice and a abundant dose of oil should penetrate and detangle your hair, they work in conjunction (this is what happened to me).

Last edited:

ThickRoot

Ok, so I slept in the hello hydration conditioner last night. Today, I started the detangling process again with my fingers and the comb lightly . It helped a lot. Many of the knots and mats came out. However, I still have 3 nice sized mats and they're not budging.

Tomorrow, I think I'll try the chicoro method recommended by you ladies. If that doesn't work I may have to cut them out which will suck cause the mats are midshaft, ugh...