Are end papers a "must" for roller setting?

OneShinyface

Are end papers a \"must\" for roller setting?

Back in the day, and I do mean way back in the day, I used to roller set my hair all of the time and I used end papers. I'm preparing to roller set my hair this week and the jumbo papers I had are no where to be found.

Does everyone use them when roller setting? Is it a must do? Do I need to run out to the store to buy more?
TIA!
OneShinyface

azul11

Re: Are end papers a \"must\" for roller setting?

i had my roller set done two ways in a salon. one was with mesh rollers with end papers and the other was with magnetic rollers with clips and no end paper. i dont know if it was the technique that did it because i did get the no end paper roller set done at a dominican salon and the one with mesh was a black salon. i personally prefered the no end papers but i think it might have been because of the magnetic rollers and just the way the ladies at this salon do it. but some people like using mesh rollers and end papers and can do so with ease. all i know is if i plan to do this on my own end papers are out. i am slow as it is without the end papers so i can imagine just trying to put them in the mix. God bless you all.

skegeesmb

I use the magnetic rollers so I don't use end papers.

sweetcocoa

I don't like them and don't use them. I coat the ends so they stick to the roller. As I roll I keep it taut so the ends lay smooth and 'slide' as they cling to the roller.
This only works well with magnetic rollers(hence the name)..with wire mesh I have to use end papers...which is why I don't like setting with them..although they dry faster.

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
skegeesmb said:
I use the magnetic rollers so I don't use end papers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto! I would never set my hair if I had to use end papers. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

TsAngel

No end papers here! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif Like other ladies, I would never rollerset if I had to use those.

TsAngel

hairfanatic

I don't think end papers is a must at all. I stopped using them a long time ago and noticed that my ends would be a lot smoother. When I used to use the end papers, it seemed like they would squeeze my hair together and make my hair crinkly.

Armyqt

I've learned something new here today. I always thought you had to use end papers, because that's how I was taught as a teenager. But come to think of it, the end papers were used with mesh and sponge rollers. Thanks ladies. I'm gonna set with end papers from now on. This will definitely cut out some time for me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OneShinyface

Thanks everyone for your replies! I did it without the papers and it was fine. My hair was way curly and my sons told me I looked like I was trying to re-live the 80s. After that comment, I quickly put my hair in a bun.

sweetcocoa

OneShinyface said:
My hair was way curly and my sons told me I looked like I was trying to re-live the 80s. After that comment, I quickly put my hair in a bun.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I always wrap mine afterwards.... /images/graemlins/spinning.gif

Allandra

OneShinyface said:
Thanks everyone for your replies! I did it without the papers and it was fine. My hair was way curly and my sons told me I looked like I was trying to re-live the 80s. After that comment, I quickly put my hair in a bun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like Sweetcocoa mentioned, wrapping does help. What size rollers did you use? Using big rollers helps if you're trying to achieve a wrapped style (and then wrapping afterwards). If not, you could end up with a big ole bunch of curls. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Kitkat

I use end papers to set my hair, and I have no problem with them. If I don't use them, the ends come out very frizzy. Look like I'm in the minority here! /images/graemlins/frown.gif They work very well for me. I've been rolling my hair for years, so I guess I'm used to them.

Tracy

Glad it worked out for you! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I never used end papers and it always comes out fine. If your hair is shoulder length or longer rollers 2 inch in diameter or larger are your best bet for less curls. Allandra's on the money on that one. Large rollers and wrapping directly after the hair is completely dry and rollers are removed is the trick there. Good luck going forward! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

OneShinyface

Hey Allandra! The rollers were vintage yellow one, probably an inch diameter, with some green ones thrown in...and I used a lot of them. My mom bought them years ago when she did my first relaxer back in the 70s. I bought some larger red ones so I think next time, I'll use those.

OneShinyface

Thanks everyone! I have to say, the support here is overwhelming. I'm starting to getall emotional...

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)

OneShinyface said:
Thanks everyone! I have to say, the support here is overwhelming. I'm starting to getall emotional...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif Isn't it great?! This forum has a nice atmosphere.