Henna and Honey

SunnyHoney

Hi all,

I'm gonna henna for the first time this weekend. I want conditioning benefits, but don't want to alter my brown hair with natural, honey-colored highlights too much, but am willing to if it strenghthens my hair.

I know there are a lot of henna threads out there already, but I haven't found the answer to this question:

If henna darkens hair and honey lightens hair, what's the result of henna mixed with honey. Do they neutralize eachother?

I've seen some posters say they mix henna and honey. What's the benefit? And what's the outcome (colorwise)?

So I'm trying to decide on a mix. Right now I'm adding olive oil, water, and amla...and maybe honey.

TIA for your feedback!

Last edited:

Aggie

Hi all,

I'm gonna henna for the first time this weekend. I want conditioning benefits, but don't want to alter my brown hair with natural, honey-colored highlights too much, but am willing to if it strenghthens my hair.

I know there are a lot of henna threads out there already, but I haven't found the answer to this question:

If henna darkens hair and honey lightens hair, what's the result of henna mixed with honey. Do they neutralize eachother?

I LOOOOVEEE honey! Hence, the name. I already use raw honey for SO many things in my life: internal health, external beauty, flavor, (fun :blush:)! It's truly miraculous, great, sticky stuff! I want my hair to get some of the honey action.

I've seen some posters say they mix henna and honey. What's the benefit? And what's the outcome (colorwise)?

So I'm trying to decide on a mix. Right now I'm adding olive oil, water, and amla...and maybe honey.

TIA for your feedback!
I have never used honey in henna before and henna does not darken hair per se. It leaves a slightly copper reddish tint to dark hair that can be seen in bright sunlight. If you hair is already brown, then it will still add a copper tint to your hair and honey is actually moisturizing because of it's humectant (moisture drawing) properties.

Your mix sounds very good by the way, go for it! The amla might neutralize the mix a little because it does darken the hair a tiny bit. I like my hair very dark hence, the reason for leaving honey out of my henna mixtures.

Last edited:

NikStarrr

I used honey in henna and it gave me lighter hair with a burgundy glow. I definitely feel like the honey lightened my hair slightly. If you're not wanting that, don't use it. The henna itself is conditioning enough. If you're wanting to cut it with something fir an easier washout, use a little conditioner or some have used yogurt or oils.

tailormade84

i add honey because it leads to smoother application and easier wash out.

my hair has an auburn glow in the sun but has dark brown highlights in regular lighting (my hair was jet black before i started to henna).

for pics, check out my fotki :)

SunnyHoney

Thanks to all of you ladies for your replies!

Tailormade84, your fotki pics are beautiful! :yep: It looks like your hair got shinier and healthier with each henna app. That make me hopeful.

I did my application this weekend. My mix was

100g Reshma henna (from local store)
1 box amla (however much that is)
3 tbls raw honey
3 tbls olive oil

Turned out to be 2x's as much as I needed (I'm about NL) I applied right after mixing, waited for 45 min, cowashed, poo'd, dc, then blowdried and flat ironed.

I wished I had left the henna on for longer, but my DH panicked (for fear of the unknown) and talked me into washing it out early LOL! :lachen:

It came out nice. My hair feels noticably stronger, a bit dryer but not unmanageable (I've never had dryness, though). A little moisturize did the trip. It's not as shiny as I'd hoped for. I'm thinking because of the lightening and dryness, maybe???

I won't use honey anymore, it brought my color up A LOT! I'm afraid if I use it everytime, I might be blonde before long! I'd prefer to go darker before lighter. I might even try a little indigo next time. I hear adding strong coffee darkens, but I've also heard that it only darkens the mix, not the result on your hair. Any experience with that, anyone? I got no red coloring.

I'm excited to do it again, to see if I my hair will do like Tailormade84's, and get better and better each time.

Thanks again for the advice!