CALLING ALL CHEMISTS!! A NON-CHEMICAL ALL NATURAL RELAXER??

MaryJane3000

This product is by Belegenza and it's called Simply Straight Progressive Straightener.

Here's the description:

Simply Straight Progressive Straightener is a unique food-grade fusion that straightens curl and frizz over time the more you use it. Excellent for controlling multi-textured curl patterns. This is a natural alternative to harsh chemical relaxers and straighteners.

A gentle straightening process which smoothes the curl structure and takes up to 30 applications to get full results. Very gentle and effective. Remember that your new growth keeps coming, so once desired straightening is achieved on mid-shaft continue to apply to new growth and/or problem areas.
Perfect on children's hair to soften curl and eliminate tangles.
Safe for all hair types and is compatible with relaxers, keratin treatments and is safe for children. On excessively curly long hair, use as a dressing when braiding and after several uses, see softness and control without having used chemicals.

Lye-free/ sodium and calcium hydroxide-free/ formaldehyde-free
Use as a styling aid for gentle softening of the curl. Target stubborn curl/frizz/or new growth. Controls humidity and leaves hair with a healthy bounce.

Here's the ingredients:

Purified Water, Sugar Cane Extract, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol: humectant/moisturizing carrier, mold preventor, Cetearyl Alcohol: coconut oil derivative, not isopropyl alcohol, non-drying, Hawaiian Algae, Red Mapleweed, Gulfweed Algae, Ricinus communis: Castor seed oil, Sorbitol: sugar/berry extract, Glyceryl Stearate: coconut oil derivative, Peg-100 Stearate: fatty acid ester, Polyquaternium-4/Hydroxypropyl starch copolymer: thickener/binder, Polymerized Hydro-Carbons: Proprietary vegetable oil complex, Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate: cellulose fiber resin, Polyvinylpyrrolidone : rubber tree derivative, Peg-90M: Wax Tree extract, Phenoxyethanol: Sugar based fungal preventor, Fragrance: phthalate-free natural, Peppermint Oil, Wintergreen Oil, Yellow-10 & Blue-1: FD& C approved safe coloring, Castor Oil Extract.

Here are the reviews:

"Fantastic!! Perfect!!! Awsome!! I Love it!!" — Heather Pearman

Product Review (submitted on May 6, 2011):
I have used permanent relaxer in hair for years! As a holistic practitioner I've been searching for a natural, eco-friendly product and I finally found it. I LOVE it. My hair is in better health. The texture is so much better, it's unbelievably softer, silkier, shinier and I always get tons of compliments. I refer it to my patients and people all of the time.

Really Works!" — Simone
Product Review (submitted on March 12, 2011): I've used this about three times so far and what a difference... I have very tight curls and my hair has been very dry due to air quality, heat etc, but since using this product, my curls have loosened some and I can run my fingers and even a comb through my hair! It's so gentle, I could leave in overnight... Absolutely love!!!

AWESOME!!! Does what it claims!" — April B.

I was skeptical of this product! How can something relax your hair without DAMAGING it??? Well, I still don't know how - but this does it! My naturally curly red hair was tamed, frizz free, and LIKE SILK! I couldn't stop touching my hair and all my teaachr co-workers wanted to know what I used! THIS IS IT!!!

A "professional review"
Simply Straight vs. Keratin treatments… Belegenza!

Filed under: Condition and Repair,Curly/excessive curl,Ethnic hair care,Frizz Control,Humidity Protection,Mixed texture — admin @ 6:33 pm

With the Simply Straight, is it damaging or is it more like the other keratin straighteners that help seal the shaft and repair damaged hair?
The Simply Straight is very conditioning to the hair. It works via a Vitamin C complex that slowly softens the cysteine bonds in the hair and works progressively. In other words, it will take many applications to soften the curl to the desired level, so you get to stay in control. Also, it is very helpful in blending frizz and curl into a controllable state. Most love it because it really keeps the humidity from wrecking the style. Given that you are in AZ, I doubt that you have any concern with humidity, but it is a testament to its incredible style holding ability.

What do you ladies think? What's going on here? Is this safe for naturals to use to control their hair in the humidity? Will it wash out? Can women who relax use this instead of getting touch ups? Is this even possible?

Last edited:

hair4romheaven

This product is by Belegenza and it's called Simply Straight Progressive Straightener.

Here's the description:

Simply Straight Progressive Straightener is a unique food-grade fusion that straightens curl and frizz over time the more you use it. Excellent for controlling multi-textured curl patterns. This is a natural alternative to harsh chemical relaxers and straighteners.

A gentle straightening process which smoothes the curl structure and takes up to 30 applications to get full results. Very gentle and effective. Remember that your new growth keeps coming, so once desired straightening is achieved on mid-shaft continue to apply to new growth and/or problem areas.

What do you ladies think? I think its more to the product than what the above article says. I can imagine with my hair I may have to use it up to 5451.33 times
What's going on here? Is this safe for naturals to use to control their hair in the humidity?
maybe but your hair won't revert if the product actually straightens it. I wont try it.
Will it wash out?
Once you start you have to continue based on the above.
Can women who relax use this instead of getting touch ups?
Based on what they say yes.
Is this even possible?
yes but I'm a skeptic

MaryJane3000

I think there's more to this as well, but I don't see how you can permenently alter the hair texture without using some sort of chemical. I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing on the ingredients. My sister is interested in using it to stretch her relaxers but if she's putting another damaging chemical on her hair she won't really be stretching and getting a relaxer could lead to very scary results.

Does anyone want to be a guinea pig?

BoaterGirlKim

Reminds me of that Copa product Debbie Allen was hawking a decade ago. Used it on my daughters hair (biracial, spiral/spring curl texture) to loosen the curl a little. It smelled good like bananas and citrus - even had a warning on the label not to eat LOL. Product smoothed her hair down and relaxed the curl while it was in, but overall didn't have much of a lasting effect once rinsed out.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I wouldn't try it until I see more reviews and more research. I did google the words I was not familiar with, and they did all come back to food or cosemetic usage. And how much does this stuff cost? And how many applications do you get for that amount? Can this be applied at home (seems like it), and do you need heat? Sounds interesting though.

ITA - with there is probably more to this than listed.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Amazon has it for $24 for 4.8 oz. The actual website has a DC 19oz for $96:blush:.

Last edited:

lisajames96

Yeah, I'd be weary of it and let someone else be the guinea pigs for a while on this one. They seem to list lots of polymers and waxes. and other chemicals(naturally derived, of course :look: ), so this may be a process of slowly binding polymers to the cuticle and just below the cuticle using the polymers, alcohols and waxes....I'm not a chemist and it's just my guess. Some hydrocarbons do generate heat. Maybe not enough for the skin to notice.

Minty

what in the world? $24....$96

For products like these, they should have to submit scientific case studies.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I would never try this first. Reminds me of the girl in school who tried RIO. Poor thing, 15 years later and her hair still never recovered. I was so glad my mom didn't get the RIO. I wanted one bad too. LOL!

Minty

"vitamin C to work on the cysteine bonds" makes me think the pH is very acidic (just on first glance)

lisajames96

"vitamin C to work on the cysteine bonds" makes me think the pH is very acidic (just on first glance)
:yep:

Looks that way...that vitamin c makes the protein(amino acid chains) soft, malleable....something may be binding to it, not sure what though..it's been a long time since I've been in college :ohwell:

koolkittychick

This sounds bogus...and for the record, if it is using a "vitamin C complex" to loosen the curl, it is using a chemical, an acidic one at that. And for the price ($12-$24 x 30 applications to get the full effect), I can get a full year of relaxers that will give me definite results, without the guesswork. :ohwell:

MaryJane3000

This sounds bogus...and for the record, if it is using a "vitamin C complex" to loosen the curl, it is using a chemical, an acidic one at that. And for the price ($12-$24 x 30 applications to get the full effect), I can get a full year of relaxers that will give me definite results, without the guesswork. :ohwell:

:lachen:lol idk y but what you said was really funny to me.

Anywho, I'm going to guess that this is very acidic and wouldnt be good for my sister to stretch with..considering relaxers are very acidic. I don't want to mess with her porosity. I actually already have it in a gift basket so Idk what I'm going to do with it. I just didn't understand how a product thats all natural could loosen a curl pattern without having a strong chemical involved.

Thanks ladies!

DrC

Ah..RIO. I remember people swearing by this stuff all while watching the creator eat it on TV. :perplexed

Yeah every time I hear of "natural" relaxers I think RIO. My aunties hair never bounced back from that mess.

I would never try this first. Reminds me of the girl in school who tried RIO. Poor thing, 15 years later and her hair still never recovered. I was so glad my mom didn't get the RIO. I wanted one bad too. LOL!

dancinstallion

:lachen:lol idk y but what you said was really funny to me.

Anywho, I'm going to guess that this is very acidic and wouldnt be good for my sister to stretch with..considering relaxers are very acidic. I don't want to mess with her porosity. I actually already have it in a gift basket so Idk what I'm going to do with it. I just didn't understand how a product thats all natural could loosen a curl pattern without having a strong chemical involved.

Thanks ladies!

Most or almost all relaxers are alkaline not acidic, meaning they have a ph above 7, most are around 12 and 13 lye and no lye relaxers.

anyway this reminds me of curlaway. I used that stuff twice a week for a little over two months leaving it in my hair over night. around 15 applications al-together and i couldn't tell the difference because it never got straighter, and I only got around two applications from the box because my hair is thick, plus it got expensive, It would be better to texlax, or use new era acidic relaxer ph6 to loosen your curls.

Last edited:

MaryJane3000

Most or almost all relaxers are alkaline not acidic, meaning they have a ph above 7, most are around 12 and 13 lye and no lye relaxers.

anyway this reminds me of curlaway. I used that stuff twice a week for a little over two months leaving it in my hair over night. around 15 applications al-together and i couldn't tell the difference because it never got straighter, and I only got around two applications from the box because my hair is thick, plus it got expensive, It would be better to texlax, or use new era acidic relaxer ph6 to loosen your curls.

Thanks I always get those terms alkaline and acidic confused. I'm just trying to find something to help her stretch easier. I don't live with her so I can't do her hair for her n she's pretty lazy so oh well.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy

I immediately thought of mixing some Emergen-C in some conditioner. I'm pretty sure that's what this is, with some "natural extracts" thrown in.