Pressed Hair Naturals

pet

Hi Ladies!!!

I currently press my hair every two weeks, and I'm looking for a product that can 1) lay down my edges, and 2) does not cause my edges to revert. Is there such a product, because I've been looking FOREVER!

I always like to see when women have their hair in a ponytail or bun that their edges are slicked down...in my opinion, it really brings out a person's face. But everyone that has those nice laid down edges are either relaxed or natural, so water based products are not a problem. I have heard great things about ORS edge control, and hicks transformational edges, but I believe those two products can cause hair to revert. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks!

~Pet

pet

^^ I haven't tried it personally, but I have read some reviews from those who flatiron their hair, and they did say that it caused their hair to revert.

ProtectiveStyling

you should try it.... it doesnt really revert mines back. If im wearing my hair down, i put some on my edges like 30 minutes before i leave, brush & then tie a scarf around it. if im wearing a bun i put some on (a little more than usual) & damp my edges. Next i use a brush to smooth it... its great for buns & pony tails

pet

Seeing that you both mentioned the same product, I'll give it a shot! THANK YOU for your responses!! :)

Ballerina_Bun

Sofn' Free n' Pretty Olive & Sunflower Oil Edge Tamer.

This is all I have been using(since the tacomeat bun incident) and I haven't had the "taco meat bun" again :nono:. That was a mess! If I had posted a picture of it, I would've been banned from the forum:lachen:.

This product has held up to nasty humidity and a long classes. She doesn't even turn on the air until midway through class (if then) and still no reversion and nasty taco meat looking bun/hair.

BTW, it has an interesting smell (sweet fruity vegetable smell ... hard to describe). The texture isn't as stiff and hard as edge control.

ETA: I'm not 100% natural yet ... but the natural hair that I do have is below shoulder length, the rest relaxed ends. I flat iron.

ETA (03Sept) : The taco meat bun is back, unless I use tons of this stuff.

Last edited:

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I may be the only one that's anti-ORS Edge Control... It was "less than blah" for me...

I like Design Essentials Edge Tamer.... My hair is still soft and moisturized and I don't feel like I have to wash it out of my hair after one hour.

pet

Hi Ladies!

So I tried a little of ORS Edge Control on my edges today (very sparingly), and I had a little bit of flaking on one side. I applied the edge control using my fingers, so maybe that was why. I looked up a lot of reviews on youtube, and most people said it was one of the best products they have ever tried, and then there were about 15% of people that said it flaked badly. Am I supposed to apply this with a toothbrush or something so it doesn't flake? I'm thinking that when it's only applied with the fingers, the gel is not evenly distributed and the result might be flaking.

I think it reverted my hair a little bit, but it could be my imagination since I have been out all day, and I really didn't use a lot at all. I will see how my edges look in the morning after my hair has been tied. I will try to apply a little bit more later on this week, with a toothbrush, to see if there are any major differences. I will say that my edges feel more moisturized over all.

For those of you who recommended this product, how do you apply it so it doesn't flake, and how much do you use?

Thanks,

Pet

biancaantoinette

shea butter and a scarf!
layed down the really short hair in the front of my head from heat damage just with a good amount of shea butter (from any health food store) and a tight scarf around just the area that I need to lay down (you dont have to cover up all of your hair)

I wasnt sure about shea butter originally because I didnt think it would be enough hold..but its great.

BTW: I hate ORS on my edges...i think there too much water in it which reverts my hair.

vtoodler

Have you tried the stiff wax sticks? I used that in my pressed days. Never failed :yep:

I've noticed that products with wax are really good for pressing hair and laying edges down.

Have you ever tried Wonder Gro's "Real Thick" pomade? It's a red pomade that is very thick (as its name implies).

I haven't relaxed my hair in 9 months, and I use this pomade when I flat iron. It really helps to tame my hair.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I use wax or murrays pomade. Ors made my edges revert. In certain situations i would repress the edges esp. If they have completley reverted.