Do These No Seam Combs REALLY make a Difference?

BeatriceFly

i just want to know real quick........

i do believe i am a product of recurring split ends, and i am broker than broke lol... i want to know do these 20 dollar seamless combs really make a difference?

should i invest in one?

and are they in your regular BSS?

secretdiamond

Re: Quickie: Do These No Seam Combs REALLY make a Difference?

Definitely invest in one. It will save you a lot of preventable breakage.

preciousjewel76

secretdiamond said:
Definitely invest in one. It will save you a lot of preventable breakage.

Ditto. These combs are not usually sold in BSS (the "bone combs" they sell there are not really seamless/bone combs); I ordered mine from http://tenderheaded.com/. Their prices are really reasonable; I ordered 2 combs for about $10 a piece. A lot for a comb, mind you, but they really do a nice job of not pulling out your hair!

HoneyDew

Swissco combs are cheaper. You can find them at beautyfirst. I like the Swissco Tortoise wet comb

and the hand finished Tortoise purse comb
I got both for less than $5. You can also find them on Amazon.com and drugstore.com

Last edited:

Ms Lala

Yes it really does. Last night I had a bad experience, I needed to detangle my ends but I didn't want to use my wide tooth seamless comb because I wanted to make sure I got the knots out. Anyway my smaller tooth comb has seems and honestly , my shirt looked like I had trimmed my ends when I was done. I didn't notice while I was combing but there where tiny 1/4-1/3 inch pieces of my hair that had been snagged and I definitely had more hair in the comb than normal when I comb my ends. I will NEVER do that again. I used plenty of detangler so I know it was the comb. I need to get them in various sizes. But you should be able to find them for cheaper than $20.

crlsweetie912

What about ace combs? I know they are not seamless but I have these and love them. Does anybody use these?

sareca

Yes, but if you don't want to hunt down a good seamless comb you can make your own. Just file the seams off of your favorite comb with an emery board.

dannie

Just buy a metal afro pick. No seams, low priced.

preciousjewel76

dannie_19 said:
Just buy a metal afro pick. No seams, low priced.

Do they still make the ones with the black plastic handle, shaped like a fist? My dad had one of those! :lol:

Jas123

The Star of a Story

sareca said:
Yes, but if you don't want to hunt down a good seamless comb you can make your own. Just file the seams off of your favorite comb with an emery board.
This is what I did..with a large tooth comb and it works just fine.

JustKiya

Oh my yes, the seamlessness makes a huge difference - I jsut recently got a horn comb through a group order - and it's AMAZING how much easier/quicker it is to comb my hair.... the tines of the HC are actually SMALLER than my wide tooth/tiny seams plastic comb, but the HC goes through my hair MUCH easier.

BeatriceFly

okay thanks everyone!!
i think i will invest in one, but for now maybe i will file the seams down?
is that all i do????
i heard to put clear nail polish on it

HERicane10

Does anyone know if the wooden combs splinter over time?

sareca

EbonyPerez said:
okay thanks everyone!!
i think i will invest in one, but for now maybe i will file the seams down?
is that all i do????
i heard to put clear nail polish on it

I hadn't heard about the polish, but I like it.

JustKiya

HERicane10 said:
Does anyone know if the wooden combs splinter over time?

I've heard that if you use them on wet hair/store them in a steamy bathroom - they will start to swell and split - and eventually splinter. Almost the only time I comb my hair is when it has product in it, so that's why I went with the horn combs - a little more expensive, but it'll last longer (assuming I don't drop it and break it).

scorpian

Last edited:

scorpian

EbonyPerez said:
and this one is seamless?
i can spend 3 bux
definitely not 15,20

no ...I was answering her question about whether or not anyone uses an ace comb ...this is an ace detangling comb but it is not seamless
I have a seamless comb that i pd around 10 dollars for but it was pulling out a lot of little hairs so I bought the ace to use instead.
When I was a kid the ace was the only one that detangled my thick 4b hair without pulling it out and it never used to break so I bought the ace to use on my daughters hair we no longer use the seamless combs
for us the ace works better

BeatriceFly

ok so i tried filing my comb
it didnt seem like it did anything
and i filed it for like a whole minute

should this be a long process??
and should it be completely flat?

i ask this, also because the seams are everywhere and on some parts of the comb it seems to be getting worst

Softresses

You can take one of this kind of comb (the one I have is a Conaire) and sand down the seams with some fine sandpaper. It is really easy this way. The comb and the sandpaper are both very cheap at Wal-Mart.

I also have a collection of bone combs which are seam free (and great for getting rid of tangles) from a vender that was on ebay. They have them listed all the time.

HTH

Softresses

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

I use Jilbere's seamless combs and LOVE them, and YES they made a huge difference in my hair. I was ripping strands out with those seams.

My comb was $2 at Sally's...much less than $20. I also have the Mebco comb which was less than $5 so I say give those a shot before investing in the high end combs.

Radianthealth

These are all of the combs that I use, they are Jilbere seamless combs, and Cricket Silkomb All Purpose Styling Combs

They all cost less than 5 dollars

iCandyc

The duane Reade by my job has the swissco seamless combs they definately make a difference they are $6 each not too bad

BeatriceFly

oh so they ARE in the stores

okay i have to hit up my BSS
i hope they have one
i'll take anything seamless under 7 bux