Yerba anyone? I LOVE these products!!!! (long, can't help it)

FindingMe

These are my staples. I have tried a lot of other things, but NOTHING gives me the slip this product does for my 15 month post transitioning hair. Nothing.

I am so worried that they will stop making them, that I contact the company every quarter just to make sure.

It's a native American hair care line that uses Yerba De La Negrita (Scarlet Globemallow). Yerba de la Negrita is a wild herb used by native people of what is now the southwestern United States for over 200 years to wash and condition the hair. (Includes some people of Spanish/latin descent and Native Americans.) Yerba De La Negrita has the unique abilty to dissolve encrusted sebum so active follicles can flourish and hair can grow. Native Americans used this herb as a hair wash to thicken hair by unclogging pores on the scalp, allowing the roots of your hair to get the oxygen it needs, thickening hair where roots start.

It also contains yucca root (Amole Raiz ) Amole Raiz which helps to strengthen hair by dissolving unwanted build up, tightening the roots, stimulating hair growth and stopping hair loss.

I started using it bc I was getting clogged hair follicles/hair bumps and it stopped them. My scalp feels SOOOOO good since I've been using these products. :lick: I was NOT prepared for the slip I got from the conditioner. From the first use, I was in love.

I've also tried to go with a non-sulfate shampoo, but my water is so hard, I personally need a few surfectants to help it to feel the best it can. The shampoo has a rich, earthy fragrance that I just love...This is the only conditioner that I can use that actually allows me to comb through my hair/detangle in the shower.

Without further ado:

Ancient Secrets - Native American Herbals Shampoo
http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Secrets-Shampoo-American-Herbals/dp/B000VV1SB8/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_a

Ingredients: Infusion of Yerba de la negrita, Aloe vera gel, Cocamidopropyl betain (from coconut oil), Sodium laureth sulfate (foaming cleanser from coconut), cocamide dea (from coconut oil), sodium chloride, clary sage oil, jojoba oil, rosemary oil, chamomile extract, soapberry extract, bayberry extract, red sandalwood extract, yucca extract, annatto, rue oil, cascara sagrada, myrtle oil, rosemary-sage oil, glycerin (from coconut), tetrasodium EDTA (from corn), citric acid, propylparaben (food grade preservative), methylparaben (food grade preservative), dmdm hydantoin, iodopropynyl butylcabamate.

Ancient Secrets - Native American Herbals Conditioning Rinse
http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Secre...-Herbals/dp/B000VV1SCC/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_b

Ingredients: Infusion Of Yerba De La Negrita, Aloe Vera Gel, Cetearyl Alcohol (Vegetal Source), Clary Sage Oil, Rosemary Oil, Jojoba Oil, Chamomile Extract Soapberry Extract, Bayberry Extract, Red Sandalwood Extract, Yucca(Amole) Extract, Annatto, Rue Oil, Cacara Sagrada, Myrtle Oil, Rosemary-Sage Oil Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol (Vegetal Source), Keratin Amino Acid Glycerin (From Coconut Oil), Glycol Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Propylparaben (Food Grade Preservative), Methylparaben (Food Grade Preservative) Imidazolidinyl Urea And Citric Acid.

I usually buy from a supplier at Amazon, but you can find sometimes cheaper at different places online.

FindingMe

Also, the company is Native American owned and proceeds from this and other products are dedicated to developing the economic and cultural strength of the Native American people.

morehairplease

thanks so, so much for sharing this! I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis and my follicles clog very easily. I will purchase this and give it a try.

ETA: just placed my order.

Last edited:

FindingMe

thanks so, so much for sharing this! I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis and my follicles clog very easily. I will purchase this and give it a try.

ETA: just placed my order.

YAY! I really like it and it has helped me a lot. Those bumps are very painful. Please PM me after you've tried it and let me know how you like it.

Love the ingredients. What does it smell like?

It's very herbal and plant-like. The shampoo has a slightly minty-plant smell and the conditioner is a litle sweeter smelling, but still not flowery or perfumy (more herbal, plant-like).

Loved the ingredients until I saw the parabens

I know, you're right. That's the only downside to these products -- the use of preservatives. I was worried about this, too, as I was trying to go to more green products. The sodium laureth sulfate in the shampoo is a concern for me bc most products that have "eth" in the name most likely test positive for 1,4 Dioxane. I also have a concern about the preservative imidazolidinyl urea in the conditioner bc it is made using formaldehyde...but doggone it if it isn't the best conditioning rinse I have ever used:ohwell:

I guess they use it bc it's cheaper to manufacture with these items. I wish the US would regulate the use of agents such as these and follow the lead of others like the European Union.

I stopped using deodorants that contain parabens and preservatives, my logic being that these were purposely staying on the skin until washed off and pretty much were there all the time. I think that for shampoos and soaps, there is a lower risk bc they are applied and then rinsed off.

I keep looking for products that work as well as these for me with no sulfates or preservatives, but haven't had any luck yet. I just keep going back to them bc they work so well.

Girl, my bottom line is that I have justified the risk vs the reward and I will continue to use them until I can find a green product that does for me what they do.