Braid 101 for Dummies...Feeling confused

gymfreak336

Hello Ladies

I would really love not to have to mess with my hair too much for a couple of months. I was thinking about braids or something but I don't know the first thing about it. I have done a couple of image searches and I think I like senegalese twists and similar styles the most. However, from what I have read, they are not the best choices if you want to be able to wash them. I am also worried about the hair since my scalp is easily irritated by fake hair( maybe the fact that I only have experience with the 99cent kind has something to do with that though :lol:).

I don't plan on leaving anything in longer than 8 weeks and I plan on getting the perimeter braids redone more frequently so I can keep that hair extra conditioned.

Anywho.....I have a couple of questions for those well versed in these matters.

What braid styles have you had before?
Pros and Cons of each one?
Where you able to wash and condition your hair?

What would you recommend for someone just starting to get their feet wet?

Platinum

Hello Ladies

Anywho.....I have a couple of questions for those well versed in these matters.

What braid styles have you had before? Micros, Kinky Twists and Box Braids
Pros- Micros last a long time (Mine usually last 2 months), Able to change styles (updo, ponytails, or just let them hang). Kinky Twist last a long time as well. Box braids and Kinkys are easier to take down then the micros.

Cons- Micros take forever and a day to remove especially if the braids are tiny. Some people experience breakage with them but I've never had that problem. KT- The hair the braiders used was very drying to my hair. Box braids- none that I can think of right now.

Where you able to wash and condition your hair? Yes. I cowash my hair when in braids 3-4 times a week. I clarify every two weeks with a baking soda and water solution.

What would you recommend for someone just starting to get their feet wet?
Depends on the style you would like, how long you plan to keep them in, how much you're willing to spend, etc. You may want to try Kinky Twists or box braids. The Crown and Glory method is an excellent regimen to follow.

Hope this helps.

Kay.Dee

What braid styles have you had before?
Senegalse twists, kinky twists and micro braids
Pros-I love senegalese twists and kinky twists. They are so much more easier on my hair line, the hair is cheaper and I can do them myself. Win/Win situation.
Cons- The hair can be itchy if you have a sensitive scalp.
These are harder to wash (at least for me) I'm a natural 4b and my hair would begin to poke out of the twists and I'd have to redo them more often than micros. And they are also a lot more bulkier than micro braids and I only wore them in 3 styles... up in a ponytail, down, and then half up half down.

Micros
Pros
Lasts longer, more style options. You can get straight yaky hair, wet and wavy, or deep wave (my fave)
Cons
Hair is more expensive. I don't have the patience to do these myself yet and I would rather chop off my arm than pay someone $200 to do it. They eat away at your hairline.

Where you able to wash and condition your hair?
I washed my hair but never conditioned. I'm too lazy.

Last edited: