I Bought The Revlon Ionic Steam Rollers

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
after reading about them on a recent thread. They are a great quick styling tool and work pretty fast, but do not be fooled by the ion and the steam--these suckas get hot. ... hot enough to do some damage if you go beyond using them only occassionally. But I really do like them.

One question for you all that have them: How do you position the cord so that you can put the plastic top back over the rollers when you're finished?

Hey Supergirl!
I don't leave my rollers on the steamer for the time the directions say to- you're right they do get too hot at 30 secs. So 10-15 secs max. Also, I switched out of the container they came in. I use the plastic base from the Vidal system and put the double headed steamer on top of that. I use a brass container to keep the rollers in on top of the bathroom counter. It takes up less than half the space and to me looks much better than that big bulky thing by Revlon.

n_vizion

I also just bought the rollers because of the good reviews from the board. I abolutely love it!! I also have the Caruso steam rollers but I love the fact that Revlon has the plastic protective covering over the sponge roller. That way I don't have to use end papers and my hair doesn't get moist(and possibly frizzy) from leaving the rollers on the base too long.

I used them this morning in 90 degree Florida weather and I still have big beautiful curls. The only thing that was strange to me was the sound that it makes when it's on the ION setting. Is that noise normal?

Undefeated Queen

n_vizion said:
I also just bought the rollers because of the good reviews from the board. I abolutely love it!! I also have the Caruso steam rollers but I love the fact that Revlon has the plastic protective covering over the sponge roller. That way I don't have to use end papers and my hair doesn't get moist(and possibly frizzy) from leaving the rollers on the base too long.

I used them this morning in 90 degree Florida weather and I still have big beautiful curls. The only thing that was strange to me was the sound that it makes when it's on the ION setting. Is that noise normal?

Hi everyone. I use the Caruso steam rollers too. I love the long lasting curl they give.

czyfaith77

The new Caruso no longer uses salt. It is also teh original out of all of the products but there is always an improvement. Which is best. I totally forgot about the Vidal Sasson one. One of these is like 20 bucks at Target. I think it is the Vidal Sasson one, but is it good.

championgurl

Hello :)

This sounds interesting.
Can one of you who use this please post a link to a website where I might be able to order this system?

~CHAMPIONGURL

n_vizion

I've only used the Revlon a couple of time but these are the differences that I've noticed so far:
1. Plastic covering over Revlon rollers allow for a "protective" barrier against a wet roller. (i.e. less opportunity for me to wet my hair with an over saturated roller)
2. I've had the Caruso system for several years and have had to buy a replacement set of rollers because the rollers wore down after continued repeated use. Hopefully the plastic covering over the Revlon rollers will mean longer lasting curlers.
3. Both give me curls that last. But I think that I will be using the Revlon system mainly from now on.

SUPER SWEET

Can someone post a pic, i'd like to see if they are hard to put on. This would be a good alternative to roller setting.

LABETT

I bought the Vidal Sasoon brand last year check your Big Lots I saw the Ionic Steam roller there today.

I am going to run to Big Lots and see if I find them. Thanks for the Tip!

I do have a question though --- If there is a plastic cover protecting your hair from the steam, does your hair still get the beneficial steam moisturizing? How different would the heated plastic be from a regular curling iron?

I use caruso every day and I know that it is safe to use daily b/c it is moist heat that evaporates. If plastic is over the revlon rollers, wouldnt this be like dry damaging heat?

Serenity

sharee

I have the Revlon Steam Rollers and they have been a life saver for me after transitioning. As for the cord, I have the same problem. I am going to try to wrap it like you would a old time vacuum cord and secure it with a twitsty tie and see if that works. And yes, I followed the directions the first time foe 30 seconds and I thought um, yeah this is hot!!! So I too do about 15 or 20 seconds on the steam. Yes, it does hiss or something when you have it on ionic. It's a keeper for me. I found mine at Target.

Hello Steam Hair Setter Lovers!
Yes, the Revlon roller allows steam to escape and condition the hair! They have small holes made into the rubber surrounding the curler, so the steam escapes and conditions the hair. Here's a pic:
http://www.tsetters.com/catalog/ima...=Revlon/Hair_Setters&image=RV242.jpg&img=&tt=

I purchased mine from Ulta BSS, for around $30, I just checked Ulta.com and my search didn't return any results, but they do have the Vidal model, and I know they have them in the actual stores. I love all of them -the Caruso, Vidal, and the Revlon. I am so glad I read about these on this board! One of the best purchases I ever made to actually be able to help my hair while styling it! I would have never believed it, and recently mailed off a set to my best friend back home.

PrincessScorpion

I brought mine last week at Target for $30. :bouncy: It took me a little while to find them because I could not find them online. I called Revlon. I went to Wal Mart and several other Targets before I finally found them.

ScorpioLuv70

Doing it my way
SerenityBreeze said:
I use caruso every day and I know that it is safe to use daily b/c it is moist heat that evaporates.

Thanks! You answered my biggest question. With all these good reviews, I have also been interested in buying a set of these rollers. I definitely think this will help kill my bad habit of using the curling iron. For those who are using the steam rollers, on average, how long does it take you to roll and set your hair? And how long will the curls hold up, or is it necessary to roll every day? I don't have much time in the mornings.

~TIA!
Denise

isawstars

After reading all these responses, I'm interested in these rollers but I'm not exactly sure how it is supposed to be used and what kind of results to expect ie: Do you use them on wet or dry hair? Will it come out like a rollerset?

MzTami

Hellerrrr
I bought some revlon ionic steam rollers right after Supergirl's post. I was like if Supergirl buys them then I know it's not too damaging to the hair.

When I first used them, I was taking them off the steamer quick, because I had read that they get hot really fast and could do some damage. I let them stay on for about 10 to 15 seconds and then put them on my hair. I took them out after about 15 minutes later. My curls held all day. The only thing was that they made my ends a little hard, like if I sprayed spritz on them. Is this the way they suppossed to work? I only used them once.

BTW When I first started reading these boards..Supergirl and Southergirlz were my idiols, now all of you ladies are great!

Last edited:

DragonPearl

I used Caruso on my permed hair many years ago, and I loved it!! I had healthy bouncy curls.

Has anyone used them on natural 4a/b hair?

Cinnabuns

I've heard of these rolers a while ago. I did'nt buy them then because I heard that they would tangle hair...just something that I heard and I'm not sure if it is true or not though.

MizAvalon

Thanks for posting this SG. I was really interested in the Caruso set but I think I'll go with this instead.

Naijaqueen

I just bought caresetter ionic steam rollers at target, they didnt have revlon, and there was a price cut on this one for $19.99

VelvetRain

I just don't see how revlon rollers are any different than the vidal or caruso system. They all work the same.

Hi Ladies,
I luv these rollers and have been using them for a while. It makes my hair regimine so much easier. I put them in and go do something else to get ready- iron, brush teeth, shower, etc. Them remove the rollers and let hair air out for five mins. then style. Really nice results like a roller set. If its been a while since touch ups I may have to bump my edges with a warm iron. Otherwise, I just set and go.
If your ends are geting crispy it may be from products on your hair. Products will kind of reactivate with the steam everyday. You may want to apply a little pomade before setting and it will help condition the hair too bc of the steam. Like I only apply mousse when I initially dry my hair after I wash it. The other days I just use the rollers and the mousse is kinda like refreshened. I may add a very small dallop of mousse if I need a really tight or long holding set say for a special event do. But, every day I do use moisturizer either before bed or before setting my hair. :)