Shedding/breaking after switching to LYE relaxer

blackhair

Early in September I had my fist LYE relaxer (Motions Mild SHea Butter). It was professionally done and went very well without any irritation. However since then, I am experiencing breakage when I comb my hair. I have tried kerafix,deep conditionners,... even neutralizing shampoo again just to be in the safe side but it still continues to break. For years I used the No lye relaxer in box such as gentle treatment or Pink oil relaxer and never experience this kind of breakage.. Did I make a bad choice by switching to LYE Relaxer ? I thought it was safer?? /images/graemlins/confused.gifPlease advise. Thank you

syze6

I too am experiencing the same thing. I switched from no-lyes to Mizani mild for the first time and I am experiencing shedding and some breakage when combing. I don't recall any of this with the no-lyes. I was thinking maybe it's the season but I'm concerned. I started washing and air drying. I'm wondering if I should have stuck with the no-lyes since my hair was obviously used to it.

blackhair

Yes Syze it should be the relaxer . I am thinking if I should go back to the box relaxers for my next touch ups even though it is not good at all to swicht so often .

syze6

I was thinking about going back to QP sensitive scalp for my next touch up. The only thing is that my hair seemed so dry with it. With the lye my hair does seemed to be moistened better and the texture is softer. I'm going to ask my stylist.

syze6

I was thinking about going back to QP sensitive scalp for my next touch up. The only thing is that my hair seemed so dry with it. With the lye my hair does seemed to be moistened better and the texture is softer. I'm going to ask my stylist.

Fast forward, I just got off the phone with my stylistand she said that because of the calcuim build up with the no-lye the hair has to get used to the lye relaxer. She said that you will lose some hair(shedding) she said to get a good conditioner treatment.

Lindy

My stylist used a lye relaxer on me at my last touchup by mistake and I've been noticing a lot more shedding/breakage (??) than usual lately. I'm hoping that it's just seasonal shedding, but I don't know...

I'm getting a touchup again next month and I think I'm going back to the Affirm no-lye. I've used it for years with no problem... For some reason I don't trust the lye relaxer. My roots are also a lot thicker than they were with the no-lye (it looks like I need a retouch already, and I have 4 weeks to go!!) /images/graemlins/look.gif

syze6

Same here...I have about 5 weeks to go and my hair is very underprocessed. One thing about the no-lye it straightens very well. When I use the box perm Soft& Beautiful never lets me down it straightens and my hair is sooo soft. I 'm going to go back!

Cowgirl

Hey ladies. I made the switch also on 9/5 from affirm no-lye to affirm lye. The first 3 days I had no problems. On day 4 I started breaking like crazy. However, it turned out not to be the relaxer in my case. It was the daily use of Infusium 23. Once I did a poo & deep condition and stopped with the infusium, the breakage has cut down drastically. I agree with Syze's stylist, I think the hair has to get used to the change and the new texture. I expected to have a reasonable amount of breakage when I switched, I just didn't want anything drastic. But I think in the long run my hair will be in better condition and healthier with the lye.

soapdiva2

Wow, I'm glad you guys posted this. I didn't see the shedding until after 3 weeks post relaxer. I thought it was something else, but now it makes sense. I may keep conditioning and wait it out though.

AudraChanell

All of this is great to know. I am glad I read this thread! I too thought about switching to Lye to see what results I get. I just now realized if it ain't broke, I won't try to fix it. I've had no troubles w/my relaxer thus far *knock on wood* so I aint switchin'.

ChasingBliss

[ QUOTE ]
Hey ladies. I made the switch also on 9/5 from affirm no-lye to affirm lye. The first 3 days I had no problems. On day 4 I started breaking like crazy. However, it turned out not to be the relaxer in my case. It was the daily use of Infusium 23. Once I did a poo & deep condition and stopped with the infusium, the breakage has cut down drastically. I agree with Syze's stylist, I think the hair has to get used to the change and the new texture. I expected to have a reasonable amount of breakage when I switched, I just didn't want anything drastic. But I think in the long run my hair will be in better condition and healthier with the lye.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, I agree on that Infusium, that stuff is horrible for me. I thought I was going to go bald with all the breakage I got. As far as the relaxer is concerned, I think it's best to stick with what worked well for you all along.

lonesomedove

I say stick to what works for you! There are many ladies that continue to use no lye and have wonderful results. I recently went back to my affirm no-lye relaxer after much worrying and stress, but my hair is doing fine, I keep it moisturized and deep condition often and am going to see how it goes. With my fine hair, I think the lye was a bit too much, it seems much healthier and thicker with the no-lye, I switched after recommendation of my stylist, since no-lye does have a calcium buildup I used a clarifying shampoo the first shampoo after the relaxer and even today I'm 7 weeks post relaxer I washed, deep condition and blowed dryed my hair (normally roller set but was running late for church) and I had minimal shedding, when I was 6 weeks post relaxer with affirm lye mild, my hair would be shedding and breaking like crazy! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

BlkHoneyLuv2U

I switched to lye in April this year and never had a problem I used motions moisturizing lye relaxer. I put on the relaxer, then rinse out but before using the nuetralizing shampoo, I do a deep protein treatment with Nexxus emergencee, cpr, and a few other protein products for about five to ten minutes, then I rinse and follow up with the nuttralizing shampoo. I then shampoo again with a clarifying shampoo followed with Nexxus moisture theraphy shampoo, then condition with Nexxus Humectress using heat for fifteen to twenty minutes. Lastly rinse and put in my leave in's and let air dry or do a wet set. I havent had any shedding or breakage from the switch.

goodmorningruby

Bumping old thread. I wanted to know if this was happening or has happened to anyone else...I think this is what my problem is right now. I switched to lye from Phyto a few weeks ago and initially my hair was fine. But now I am shedding more than I am used to and there is some breakage.

The shedding I'm not so concerned about since I know that happens naturally. The breakage I am concerned about because it is worse than when I was 6 months post and that was hardly a problem since it was so minimal and totally expected. I'm upping protein and moisture and going hard on the DC's, but so far my hair still seems super vulnerable. Anyone else?

tfrazer

I am having the same problem. I switched from no lye to lye(Mizani) and my hair has been breaking and shedding a
lot.

blessed7777

I am transitioning now due to this same problem.. I switched from Phyto to Mizani butter blends lye and my hair has so much breakage... It took about 3 mths to get it to stop breaking so much but the end result is.. I need a trim throughout my hair due to the damage.

tfrazer

I was so excited when I decided to use the Mizani Butter Blends, but maybe 2 days after I used it my hair began shedding and breaking excessively. But funny enough my hair feels much better than when I used lye relaxers.

JJamiah

They advise you to not switch up Chemical relaxers. I Have done this and switched relaxers I used to get LYE when going to the salon, started self relaxing went to No LYE, felt no lye wasn't the one after a year and went back to LYE and won't leave my lye any more this was what I used for years and it works for me (* I said for me), when you do this YOU MUST TAKE EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA X 100 care of your hair. UP your conditioners UP your treatments UP UP UP. Make sure you chelate/clarify remove the NO LYE calcium from your hair and just be prepared for some breakage but you can do it and not lose a lot (very little/normal). I have definitely switched a few times, UP your care pack. Until your in the safe zone!

goodmorningruby

They advise you to not switch up Chemical relaxers. I Have done this and switched relaxers I used to get LYE when going to the salon, started self relaxing went to No LYE, felt no lye wasn't the one after a year and went back to LYE and won't leave my lye any more this was what I used for years and it works for me (* I said for me), when you do this YOU MUST TAKE EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA X 100 care of your hair. UP your conditioners UP your treatments UP UP UP. Make sure you chelate/clarify remove the NO LYE calcium from your hair and just be prepared for some breakage but you can do it and not lose a lot (very little/normal). I have definitely switched a few times, UP your care pack. Until your in the safe zone!

:perplexed Uh oh, well I don't want to end up having to cut my hair since my next scheduled trim isn't until June. I realize I was taking a risk by switching from no lye to lye, and the lye does seem better for the hair that I permed it with. My biggest issue was the no lye dryness, bad porosity and the general misbehavior my hair was giving me and now I'm beginning to think that I should have stuck to Phyto and just worked extra hard to keep the porosity and moisture on point. I mean, I didn't like what Phyto did to my hair but at least I had virtually no breakage and very little shedding...Dang....what to do, what to do...

This is going to be an issue because I long term stretch usually for six months at a time and that's some serious texture differences. I will continue to do extreme low manipulation styles, DC at least two times a week, and continually keep it moisturized. No heat for the next six months. I'll chelate/clarify next wash day and use that Alter Ego neutralizing conditioner to help with calcium build up. Wish me luck, I'm worried....

Last edited: