What is the Best Way to Detangle your hair after...

jturner7156

Cornrows, Braids, Etc. Lately, I have been wearing wigs and braiding my hair underneath but I feel as if I am ripping through my hair when I detangle:nono:. What do you all do? Any tips will be helpful?:yep:

TemiLnd

Funny you ask this. I have just perfected my detangling process. Just took out my first ever weave and let me tell you, I had a lot of tangles.
I work in sections - my hair is so thick so I have 6 sections (section by type, the back and sides of my hair are 3c and the hawk part is 4a/b).
I have a conditioner and water mix that I spray on each section and use a Jibere comb to slowly comb through. I then saturate each section in cheapie shampoo and leave overnight.
The next day before I shampoo, I use my Jibere comb to fully detangle my hair, removing ALL shedded hair. I then go on to wash in the same section.
HTH

Vashti

You could mix conditioner with olive oil and massage this through your hair and detangle. I find that olive oil helps detangle my hair really well.

Salsarisma

I do something similar to Vashti. I make sure to detangle before applying anything to my hair. Get all of the shed hair out before washing or it will be a tangly mess! Then, I mix a lot of my favorite oils with AOHSR condish: EVOO, EVCO, a dab of wheat germ oil, and a dab of avocado oil, some Burts Bees Avocado butter, and honey. I put this on my hair with Saran wrap for one hour before shampooing with sulfate free poo. Then I apply my dc and deep condition with heat for 30 minutes. Rinse...apply a cheapie condish for slip and detangle. I use my bone comb detangling rake and go in sections.

The key is get rid of shed hair b4 washing!! Hth!

beans4reezy

Take the braids out.
Make four sections.
Completely detangle hair, section by section
Regraid or Retwist, section by section
Wash in these sections
Condition in these sections

I never have a headache detangling or having to rip through my hair to detangle

beautyaddict1913

-I rinse my hair with warm water in the shower
-Saturate it with rice bran or olive oil, section my hair in 4-6 sections, let it sit for about 5 minutes
-Saturate my hair with conditioner and let it sit maybe 2 minutes. Get out of the shower or turn the water off bcuz the next step will take about 15 minutes.
-I go through and detangle each section from end to root with a large tooth comb (I luv the Jibere comb from Sallys but I have others)
A lot of ladies braid each section after its been detangle, I just re-clip it bcuz I dont feel comfortable braiding my hair while wet.
- After each section is fully detangled I rinse and wash with my shampoo bar, then blot my hair dry with a towel and apply my deep conditioner, put on a shower cap, sit under the heating cap 30 minutes and leave my shower cap on an additional 30 minutes, rinse, then apply my leave in and seal with oil

This is the only way I detangle and restore moisture to my hair after wearing a protective style.

nakialovesshoes

Mine is somewhat different from everyone else. When I'm removing cornrows from a weave or being under a wig, I saturate each cornrow (or section if I'm in a beehive) with cond before I begin removing it, and as I'm unraveling it, I detangle with my Denman. The Denman removes the shed hair & of course the cond gives it a little slip. HTH...

bellebebe

Girl, my hair is coming out tomorrow from extensions and this is just what I needed. High five for you!!!

jturner7156

Hmm, Ive been using olive oil but I think I am going to try Nakialoveshoes method next time and see how that does.

Miss_C

I take out the hair, and saturate my braids with oils like in a pre-poo, and leave it in for however long (last time was overnight) then I unravel each braid individually, and detangle with a wide tooth comb. After that I get in the shower and cowash, waiting until the second rinse to use my wide tooth comb to detangle again. Comes out great!

labellenoire

My method is completely different from what everyone has mentioned and the simple reason being that I avoid (like a plague) any product that has water in it (yes, that includes conditioner) after taking out my weaves. With all the shed hairs in there, putting water and/or conditioner is a recipe for disaster - for ME.

What I do is as I unbraid, I saturate the hair in castor oil and add a bit of olive oil and coconut oil as I go along. Once my hair is fully unbraided, I section off and start by gently using my fingers to pull out the shed hairs (NB: By this time, my hair is completely soft and I get no breakage). Once I'm done with my fingers, I follow with a wide tooth comb then a denman to catch any shed hairs I have left in there. This method works like a charm.

I know someone's jaw just dropped at the thought of 'dry' detangling, but the oil serves the purpose that water-based products would normally do. HTH.

Pooks

What I do is as I unbraid, I saturate the hair in castor oil and add a bit of olive oil and coconut oil as I go along. Once my hair is fully unbraided, I section off and start by gently using my fingers to pull out the shed hairs (NB: By this time, my hair is completely soft and I get no breakage). Once I'm done with my fingers, I follow with a wide tooth comb then a denman to catch any shed hairs I have left in there. This method works like a charm.

I know someone's jaw just dropped at the thought of 'dry' detangling, but the oil serves the purpose that water-based products would normally do. HTH.

Ditto to all the above, I use an oil or butter and go in fingers first, then follow up with my Denman. Dry detangling before any water/condish touches my hair. :yep:

temfash

My method is completely different from what everyone has mentioned and the simple reason being that I avoid (like a plague) any product that has water in it (yes, that includes conditioner) after taking out my weaves. With all the shed hairs in there, putting water and/or conditioner is a recipe for disaster - for ME.

This is the method i use also works like a charm. :afro:

nikolite

Wow! Ditto everything labellenoire said!

I take down the braids or cornrows with oil on my fingers. I then section the hair off into 8 sections and saturate each section with castor and coconut oil mix (I used to add conditioner but I've found that detangling dry with oil is better for my hair as wet hair stretches and pops too much). I usually try to let this sit on my hair as a pre-poo for as long as possible under a plastic cap. Then I detangle each section with my fingers first (pulling out the major tangles and loose hair) and second with a wide-tooth comb. I plait each detangled section then wash, etc.

Carisa

bumping....I like to pour a bottle of mane n tail over the braids a day before I take them out. This makes takedown easier for me.