Votes: 87 58.4%
  • Avocado Oil is best

Votes: 31 20.8%
  • They both work equally as well.

Votes: 31 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JJamiah

How do you ladies use your coconut oil? I just used mine after having it for a year, and never opening it, it says dispose 18months after opening.

It smells great, and I melted it and didn't realize it would spill out, I thought it would come out creamy, Yikes, I used my hair to clean up the mess and I think I over oiled my hair!

How much do you use, a dab a doo or ?

IrisDaVirus

well, avocado oil is heavyyyyyyyyy!!! the coconut is more practical to use as a leave in, unless you use teensy dabs of the avocado oil, else you WILL leave oil slicks wherever you leave your head lol. ask me how i know!
Well now I'm glad I passed over a bottle of avocado oil at the health food store this morning. :lol:

Precious_P

Since you are using them for DCing why not use both. I use a combination of oils with my DCing. I usually have Coconut oil, EVOO and Jojoba on hand and mix them all in my DC. When I'm sealing I only use coconut oil.

Precious_P

How do you ladies use your coconut oil? I just used mine after having it for a year, and never opening it, it says dispose 18months after opening.

It smells great, and I melted it and didn't realize it would spill out, I thought it would come out creamy, Yikes, I used my hair to clean up the mess and I think I over oiled my hair!

I melt mine into the liquid form right before I use it. I have a candle warmer so I keep a small amount of coconut oil in a small glass bowl and set it on my candle warmer. The heat melts the coconut oil. I only use a dab at a time. (i stick the tip of my finger in the oil and rub it between my palms, then apply to my hair). After I moisterize with Mango butter I will seal my ends with it.

I also use it in the mix for my rollersets (water, coconut oil and a dab of salerm 21)

Last but not least, I use it in my whipped shea butter along with other oils. HTH

lilsparkle825

A dime sized amount is more than enough for my hair. i use it to moisturize and seal on flat ironed hair, and i also stick it in my DCs. if you need to use it up, try it on your skin after a bath/shower.

i can't answer the OP's question bc i just purchased avocado oil for the first time about a week or two ago and haven't really gotten a chance to use it yet. i read some makeupalley reviews about it being great as a facial moisturizer, but it's too heavy for me (i prefer grapeseed), although it could be good for oil cleansing. the thickness (lighter than EVOO, heavier than grapeseed) makes me presume it will be great in my DCs.

BostonMaria

Stick with coconut oil, i used to use avacado oil but i find coconut to be more moistursing as it pentrates into the hair by 90%

I always add coconut oil to my deep conditioners and then go under the steamer for an hour. I know that it penetrates into the hair more than other oils. I love avocado oil because its not greasy and I can apply it to my straight hair without worrying about my hair getting greasy. I also find that when I put avocado oil on my face it makes my face feel really soft.

My hair is very dry, but coconut oil tends to make it greasy and feel gross if used by itself. I stick to avocado oil because it seems to soak right in and give my hair a nice shine. If you guys can purchase both definitely do that. Both oils have great properties and can be used in many different ways.

tri3nity

I always add coconut oil to my deep conditioners and then go under the steamer for an hour. I know that it penetrates into the hair more than other oils. I love avocado oil because its not greasy and I can apply it to my straight hair without worrying about my hair getting greasy. I also find that when I put avocado oil on my face it makes my face feel really soft.

My hair is very dry, but coconut oil tends to make it greasy and feel gross if used by itself. I stick to avocado oil because it seems to soak right in and give my hair a nice shine. If you guys can purchase both definitely do that. Both oils have great properties and can be used in many different ways.

Are you using refined or unrefined avocado oil?

Adaoba2012

I love :love: coconut oil! It has to be my favorite oil next to jojoba oil. But now some of you ladies have me wanting to try avocado oil. I've been tempted for a while but I'm trying to control my PJ ways hmm... :scratchch

Precious_P

Why not use both in your DC? That way you get the both of best worlds. I mix coconut oil, olive oil and jojoba oil in my DC and I love it. I have done avacado oil also but I tend not to buy it as often simply because I have a harder time finding it for a good price.

katblack

As it so happens I think it would generally be a draw. In real life Avocado oil is really expensive and the majority are not that familiar with it. When I use mines I treat it like precious gold. I don't know why, it's not even as expensive as my rose hip seed oil of which I don't treat with that much respect.
Anyways, they work for different reasons, I would say it's a tie.

I like both oils. They are fairly reasonable for me since I get more than 3 months use out of them.

Coconut Oil:
I use whenever my hair is wet (e.g. after co-washing, dc'ing, or rinsing with water)
The light feel is wonderful and is perfect for the summer
Makes my hair shiny
Smells good
I also use it for my sons' hair.

Avocado Oil:
Heavier than oil (but not too heavy)
Used often on dry hair
Makes my hair shiny
Makes my hair soft
Use year-round since I live in Southern California

I will continue to use both. The one oil I use sparingly is Castor oil. I only use that when my hair's wet (to retain moisture) and in my aloe vera juice/rose water/castor oil mix for spritzing.

I've never used Avocado before, I don't think. I would like to try some, but I don't see it much, and where I see it it's quite expensive :perplexed. I don't see many places that sell coconut oil either, but I found some anyway and it's good for DCs :yep:

30something

Expensive :blush:? I got my Avocado oil for around the same price I got Coconut oil it was about $11 for 17 oz. at Whole foods, and they had a cheaper bottle for $8. Soapgoods.com has it for ever cheaper.. I was pretty hard for me to find it

I like Avocado better, I think if you love coconut oil already might as well stick with it. I hated coconut oil, even the smell. Always gave me a greasy shine no matter how I used it. Avocado gives amazing shine :love2: Like I flat ironed.