Votes: 30 46.9%
  • 8 Inches

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • 12 Inches or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LDebagoria

This is supposed to be the average hair length growth in a year, and I'm looking forward to it! How many of you ladies have had this amount or more within a year?

L

LaNecia

I have no idea if I've ever experienced this much growth, I used to cut and break off too much in the past to realize any significant length gains. This year it's all about retention!! With six inches of growth this year, I would be at my first hair goal by December.

I don't want my hair longer than bra strap length....I say that now anyway! :grin:

Cinnabuns

In December 2003 the SHS cut my hair to less than 11 inches all the way around, now my hair is 21 inches (without the relaxer even applied yet). So over all between then and now all together I'd say this is about 11+ of growth over a 1 1/2 years.

DMarie

when I had decided to go natural I cut my hair to about 4-5 inches and a year later my hair had grown about 7 inches. During that time I even trimed my hair a couple of times. also during that time I didn't wear my natural hair out. I would wear individual braids for about 5-6 weeks. I also took a multivitamin. Right now I have 8 inches on the top of my head and in total I have cut about 5 inches off over a period of 22 months. Not because I really wanted to but because I felt it was necessary. While natural (I'm now relaxed again) I cut because I frequently got knots at the ends of individual strands or the ends were really dry- which I think goes hand in hand. Now while being relaxed I cut 2 inches off in january 05 to better care for my hair. I've found that it's easier to roller set with even hair and the even hair makes for a better looking roller set and curls. I don't plan to cut again the rest of the year though.

DMarie

confused_one

i think im about 5 1/2 inches - 6 already, it will be 1 year in may. Im transitioning thru braids. When i took out my braid my hair was at collar bone, i cut it back up to tipping my shoulder.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I'm going to assume I will average around 6 inches. My last relaxer was june 2004, I transitioned for 8 mos and when I big chopped I had 4-5 inches. I'm going to try to not cut my hair until after June 6th so I know for sure. but I dont know if I can hold out that long. Some areas are as short as 3-3.5 tho. That may be because I took a lil too much off the top and one area in the back when the scissors slipped.

Ayeshia

I BC'd in November which gave me a pretty good indicator of how much my hair grew. I get about 6 inches in the front and about 8 inches in the back.

Jewell

I estimate 6-8 inches a year, but I trimmed a lot last year, and I just set out to grow my hair much longer in January 05...so I guess this time next year I will know for sure how much...I'll only trim once more this year (twice this year). I have already trimmed 1/4" in Jan.

Daisy'sHair

I have to say save for the trims that I have given myself in the last year, my hair has grown 7 to 8 inches in 1 year. Before I was completely natural there was a spot on my head where hair would always break off, so thats the first section I chopped to about 1/2 which was November 2003.

In November 2004 when I was 100% natural that section alone was eight inches long after I chopped off the permed ends and gave my self a trim to get rid of scab hair, I had about 5 inches. It is possible to grow 6 inches or more, but I attribute my growth during that year to being pregnant and having my regular summer growth spurt. :)

Babygurl

I grew and retained about 6 inches of growth in a year on my hair care challenge. I have comparison pictures in my hair album.

Carlie

LaNecia said:
I don't want my hair longer than bra strap length....I say that now anyway! :grin:
:lol: I know what you mean! BSL sounds long at shoulder length but once you actually get there! :look: :lol:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I think 6-7 inches before trims sounds about right for me. I didn't take pics when I started my journey to bra strap in Jan 2004 but I see a little progress from last year to this year.

I'm working at getting 6 inches this year. If I get 6 inches I'll meet my goal of bra strap and then some.

carrie

when I accidentally cut a patch of my hair completely off, it gre to 6" in a year. However the rest of my head has NEVER seen growth like that. Which leads me to believe that I stll have some breakage issues, since I am not retaining that kind of length.

BLESSED1

so far I have about 8-9 inches since I started transitioning last april. Don't know how much I got when I relaxed on a regular basis, it was hard to tell back then.

balisi

Normal growth for me seems to be about 6+ inches in a year. I'm guessing because I transitioned for nine months and my hair had grown out to 5 inches by the time I BC'd.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I grew 7inches of new growth in 2004. I am hoping to get that same amount this year. My hair grew more in the summer when I was doing daily co washes. In the winter I went down to washing twice a week due to the cold weather. I plan on increasing my wash times as soon as the weather get warm again.

Nina_deF

carrie said:
when I accidentally cut a patch of my hair completely off, it gre to 6" in a year. However the rest of my head has NEVER seen growth like that. Which leads me to believe that I stll have some breakage issues, since I am not retaining that kind of length.

Same here.
I had several baldspots on my head due to strong drugs in March last year.
That hair is now 20cm (approx 6 inches) long
. So now I am trying to understand why and combat my breakage issues.

babybemine

Whoa :eek: I'm really impressed by all of you with 4, 5, 6, even 7 in. a year growth! If my hair grew like that, I don't think I would have as many hair issues as I do now. The only reason I know my hair grows is because there's some on my head. ;) I really can't say for sure what my growth rate is.

Quick question for you .. did you have about 8-12 in of year by the time you were 2 years old ?? Just curious!

TIA!!

SouthernGirl

It's definitely doable. I've done it a couple of times. I never relaly measured it, but going from top of shoulders to bra strap in a year is at least 6 inches :)

Just develop a good plan and be consistent and you'll get there no problem!!!

SG