Does your weave break you out?

Fine 4s

I don't think my skin likes this Saga hair all in my face.
A couple of days ago someone mentioned to me that they thought I was having a reaction to the hair. I completely denied it.
WELL....the next day I break out on my forehead which is where the hair comes down like a bang.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Azure18

I think it's definitely possible. It may be the chemcials or cleanser they use on the hair. Even though Saga is remy, I've always suspected that it's processed.

....Anyways, I know weave used to give me an allergic reaction on my scalp.

DrC

Yes I've had that happen to me before and I broke out something horrible all over my ears, scalp, forehead and neck (and this was the Milky Way hair Saga Remy).

This is my notion: I am thinking that the human hair they package up is derived from:
HH from a dead people, horse hair, yak hair and all other types of strands that imitate the look of human hair compacted all together and are doust within harsh chemicals, because I felt different strands of hair that did not resmble the texture of human hair :perplexed:

I think they are doing more than just "boiling" the hair to rid all of the impurities.

Now whenever I see Milky Way anything, I have this vivid picture in my head of getting gasoline and just setting it on fire :look:

Milky Way gets the side eye and the finger from me lol.

Last edited:

virtuenow

Is this your 1st time using hair extensions. I always get itchy and knots on scalp no matter the brand. I never considered the chemicals. I just figured my skin was having a reacttion to using other peoples hair. Some of us are allergic to other humans hair. And omgsh I didn't consider that they could be dead (or horse hair)!

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

glamazon386

I've had it happen to me before. It's the coating on the hair. Give it a good wash with a sulfate shampoo and it'll come off. This is the reason why a lot of people wash their hair before they install it.

Fine 4s

Yes I've had that happen to me before and I broke out something horrible all over my ears, scalp, forehead and neck (and this was the Milky Way hair Saga Remy).

This is my notion: I am thinking that the human hair they package up is derived from:
HH from a dead people, horse hair, yak hair and all other types of strands that imitate the look of human hair compacted all together and are doust within harsh chemicals, because I felt different strands of hair that did not resmble the texture of human hair :perplexed:

I think they are doing more than just "boiling" the hair to rid all of the impurities.

Now whenever I see Milky Way anything, I have this vivid picture in my head of getting gasoline and just setting it on fire :look:

Milky Way gets the side eye and the finger from me lol.

That's the hair I got, Saga! Thanks for the dead people visual :S

Is this your 1st time using hair extensions. I always get itchy and knots on scalp no matter the brand. I never considered the chemicals. I just figured my skin was having a reacttion to using other peoples hair. Some of us are allergic to other humans hair. And omgsh I didn't consider that they could be dead (or horse hair)!

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App
I've gotten my hair glued in the past (over 12 yrs ago) but I can't remember whether this happened. My reaction is more like a cluster of small acneic bumps where the hair sits on my face. Other than that, I have no itchies. My hair is braided very losely so much so that I can stick a finger under the thread and through the braid. My read hair was blow dried per Nichi's suggestion.

Some hair has an alkaline base which needs to be removed...soaking it in vinegar and water removes it. How to Remove Alkaline Base from Synthetic Hair

If the hair is not synthetic, I suspect that it has still been treated some how.

I soaked the hair in vinegar and water and watched the scum rise to the top!

Tiye

Remy hair is processed with cuticles aligned. Virgin is supposed to be unprocessed but I think manufacturer's definitions of "process" can vary. I don't buy the talk about animal hair mixed in mainstream brands but I can't vouch for lesser known extra cheap brands. This doesn't make a lot of sense though coz animal fibers are typically more expensive - e.g. wool. Also animal fibers shouldn't break you out and neither should synthetics - unless clothing made from these types of fibers break you out. It's possible that you might be allergic to a chemical used in processing hair and this could be anything including the shampoo or finishing products. You could always wash hair before you install it. Or if you want to install out of pack, clip a small piece, pin it to your nape area, sleep with it like that and see what happens.

DrC

That's the hair I got, Saga! Thanks for the dead people visual :S

I've gotten my hair glued in the past (over 12 yrs ago) but I can't remember whether this happened. My reaction is more like a cluster of small acneic bumps where the hair sits on my face. Other than that, I have no itchies. My hair is braided very losely so much so that I can stick a finger under the thread and through the braid. My read hair was blow dried per Nichi's suggestion.

I soaked the hair in vinegar and water and watched the scum rise to the top!

Sorry for the hair visual....and eeeeww....what color is the scum?? :perplexed:

RegaLady

OMG, YESSSS! I have Saga in now, and I am breaking out a bit, but not like I did when I had the Outre bob weave in(a weave I LOVED for short weave bobs). My skin was at its worse:nono:. I was going to post this a while ago, but I wasn't sure what responses I was going to get. I think some of the weaves, the cheaper ones have a chemical in them which causes reactions to skin. I will be interested to know what Saga has in it.:ohwell:

Aviah

I'm wondering if this is what's happening to me. I've gotten four pimples on my face in 3 days that were not there before. Anyone using Sensationnel (sp?) Remi Goddess and gotten this reaction?

ms.blue

I never used the saga brand but I always wash my weave hair before installation just b/c of the chemicals used on the hair.