Wash Day - My Sons Waist Length Hair

BEAUTYU2U

The kid looked miserable. I felt like this was all to keep mom happy, playing in his hair. There's no point in growing a boy's hair long. I knew right away she was a single mom :look: and I don't usually go along with stuff like that but no husband would allow that.

Iwanthealthyhair67

I've got all kinds of questions but one comment.

I wonder if she is allowing her son to grow hair that long is for her benefit...he looks like a girl.

Iwanthealthyhair67

The kid looked miserable. I felt like this was all to keep mom happy, playing in his hair. There's no point in growing a boy's hair long. I knew right away she was a single mom :look: and I don't usually go along with stuff like that but no husband would allow that.

ITA, should have read your post before I commented....

even though he has long hair she seems to be getting too much enjoyment from tending to his hair.

Aint no need for him to have hair that long unless he is a Nazarite, and I doubt they flat ironed.:yep:

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I want his hair on my head.
I am not a fan of it on him though.

Goombay_Summer

Thank the lawd it wasn’t a special occasion because he might have gotten some type of candy/spiral curls as well.

Last edited:

CURLYCROWN

I agree he does look miserable. Flat ironing is a bit much. BUT my hubby had no problem with our youngest son growing his hair out. The boy refused to get his haircut when Dad was deployed to Iraq. Dad came home and he decided to keep his hair long. Three years later it was down his back. I was so glad when he finally cut his hair the first time. LOL! When it was long I had to detangle that mess when he was little. He grew it out again in high school only to cut all off again his senior. By then he could take care of it himself.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
This gives moms who have boys inspiration that they too can have long hair. The schools i attended had plenty of white boys with waist length hair and they were always the ones wanted by all the girls in the school. Even now, the one or two brothers we see with hip length dreads will get a :blush: and then a :lick:.

Having to cut his hair should not be the cure for kids who's parents FAILED. The mom should report every TWA wearing little boy who looks at him twice. Ma lot of us on the board were teased about our hair in school, that's why relaxers took off in the black community.

She is proud of her baby boy, hair and all. She wins.

It isn't that his hair is long, it's the really strange way in which she seems to take pleasure in caring for it. It's weird.

I felt like a voyuer watching that video. And that's not a feeling one should have watching a mother care for her child's hair.

If he wants it that long, I'm OK with it. But the boy looks miserable and I get a feeling of him tolerating this situation to keep mom happy.

**Shugs** Couldn't be my boy child.

Subscribe

I didn't know boys wanted to have long hair. Are you joking? I don't mind the fact that his hair is long, I mind the fact that she is flat ironing it. :nono: And I am concerned about what his father is saying. It just seems strange. He is a beautiful little boy but this is still strange. Sorry, strange is all I can come up with. :lol:

Ironically, I always said that if I have a boy he would have to be at least 5 before I cut his hair.

Ypu have never seen Native American men? Latin men ? or white boys that have long hair? This is the first male you have ever seen with long hair?

Subscribe

It isn't that his hair is long, it's the really strange way in which she seems to take pleasure in caring for it. It's weird.

I felt like a voyuer watching that video. And that's not a feeling one should have watching a mother care for her child's hair.

If he wants it that long, I'm OK with it. But the boy looks miserable and I get a feeling of him tolerating this situation to keep mom happy.

**Shugs** Couldn't be my boy child.

You felt what????:lachen: Really????

You got all those emotions and feelings from this little boy, on YouTube getting his hair comb? Wow!

I understand it not being a choice for your child but you really pulled all that put that video?

NefertariBlu

I I thought it was weird. The constant combing and length checking, demonstrating howblong it was was too weird. It made me feel uneasy watching for some reason. The whole video was just strange.

Cherokee-n-Black

Coming from the mom whose boy is enrolled in ballet class, I know this sounds strange, but is that really what that boy wants? Didn't look like it to me. I guess I'm lazy, there's NO WAY I would do all that to a boy's hair. I used to wish for all boys so I wouldn't have to do hair. "He doesn't want to cut it?" AND??? LOL :lachen: I tolerate it for my little girl's hair. For my boy, as much as it pained me to see his little curls on the barber shop floor, his dad wants to get him a low cut fade and I'm like, go for it! I just don't like long hair on men period, though. I dated a guy with long locs once. Every time he would "swoosh" it out of his face it was an immediate turnoff. I love my low cut brotha's!

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
You felt what????:lachen: Really????

You got all those emotions and feelings from this little boy, on YouTube getting his hair comb? Wow!

I understand it not being a choice for your child but you really pulled all that put that video?

Yep, I sure did and it weirded me out. It's hardly "all that" or "all those emotions". If you got no vibes off of it - good for you. But clearly it was strange because, it would seem, a few other people got the same vibe.

We can agree to disagree. Like I said - not my child.

naturalmanenyc

Little boys rock braids often. I don't see the big deal. His hair was washed and braided on wash day like any other young boy who wears braids.

I personally wouldn't want to deal with it since doing my own hair is enough for me. However, DH has hip length hair so I'm sure he'd be fine with our would-be son having long hair. I don't think long hair on a man equals feminine. There is nothing feminine about DH and yes that is his hair hanging at his hips.

Attachments

• gym.jpg
    gym.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 846
Last edited:

SuchaLady

Cute hubby :lol:

Little boys rock braids often. I don't see the big deal. His hair was washed and braided on wash day like any other young boy who wears braids.

I personally wouldn't want to deal with it since doing my own hair is enough for me. However, DH has hip length hair so I'm sure he'd be fine with our would-be son having long hair. I don't think long hair on a many equal feminine. There is nothing feminine about DH and yes that is his hair hanging at his hips.

delitefulmane

AWW He's a lil red head!! :giggle: That's all I got. All the previous posters have taken the words out of my mouth.

ETA: The mom's a redhead too? That's rare! WOW.

Embyra

Little boys rock braids often. I don't see the big deal. His hair was washed and braided on wash day like any other young boy who wears braids. I personally wouldn't want to deal with it since doing my own hair is enough for me. However, DH has hip length hair so I'm sure he'd be fine with our would-be son having long hair. I don't think long hair on a many equal feminine. There is nothing feminine about DH and yes that is his hair hanging at his hips.

Dreads are one thing but i think it's the free flowing flat ironed hair that's throwing people off

Stormy

That's...Just...Weird! I couldn't even get through the first few minutes of the video let alone 19! And now to read that she's salivating over it, flat ironing, etc...

Well... to each his own I guess. Wouldn't be my son though. :nono:

BonBon

Every time I see little black girls getting long hair processes done by their mom on youtube they never look particularly happy. :lol: I see the same expression I had as a child.

Maybe he is miserable IDK but I wouldn't judge it off just that.

I have conflicting feeling about long hair on boys. It depends on the style.

Technically some of these black and biracial boys grow out afros which do actually stretch to APL, or so when stretched. I know a lot of these boys are quite attached to their fro's. I dont mind dreadlocs either.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae

I personally wouldn't want to deal with it since doing my own hair is enough for me. However, DH has hip length hair so I'm sure he'd be fine with our would-be son having long hair. I don't think long hair on a many equal feminine. There is nothing feminine about DH and yes that is his hair hanging at his hips.

Ok but dreads are different. Doesn't look like your dh is getting flat ironed. This video still weirds me out. The mom constantly looking into the camera & adjusting the boy's body position. IDK, its just weird.

Last edited:

Kindheart

This gives moms who have boys inspiration that they too can have long hair. The schools i attended had plenty of white boys with waist length hair and they were always the ones wanted by all the girls in the school. Even now, the one or two brothers we see with hip length dreads will get a :blush: and then a :lick:.

Having to cut his hair should not be the cure for kids who's parents FAILED. The mom should report every TWA wearing little boy who looks at him twice. Ma lot of us on the board were teased about our hair in school, that's why relaxers took off in the black community.

She is proud of her baby boy, hair and all. She wins.

Long flat ironed hair is girly on a boy ,no matter how hard you try to twist it ,it's girly and could cause him to be bullied .
She s using him as her "doll" ,she needs to stop.

Parents FAIL when they don't do what s in their child s best interest .

Last edited:

ezina

I'm kind of embarrassed by the direction of this thread. All this projecting personal views on this kid because of hetero-normative views on what a little boy should look like. I read some complaints about wishing this kid doesn't get picked on (and I believe some of these comments may be sincere), but in my experience, much of the (verbal) bullying on matters like these comes from the parents/adults with the traditional views. I don't know - this thread just makes me feel icky.

Can someone articulate why a boy with flat iron hair is offensive/not preferable? And please don't say "he looks miserable". I look miserable every time I wash my hair/flat iron. Thank you.

Also, for those with differing views, I don't mean to sound disparaging in this post if it came across that way. I'm just having a very difficult time understanding, is all.

PureSilver

Did anyone take notice of the length of that video. That must have been absolute torture for a little boy to endure that. Not my baby..

danniegirl

I'm kind of embarrassed by the direction of this thread. All this projecting personal views on this kid because of hetero-normative views on what a little boy should look like. I read some complaints about wishing this kid doesn't get picked on (and I believe some of these comments may be sincere), but in my experience, much of the (verbal) bullying on matters like these comes from the parents/adults with the traditional views. I don't know - this thread just makes me feel icky.

Can someone articulate why a boy with flat iron hair is offensive/not preferable? And please don't say "he looks miserable". I look miserable every time I wash my hair/flat iron. Thank you.

Also, for those with differing views, I don't mean to sound disparaging in this post if it came across that way. I'm just having a very difficult time understanding, is all.

Most young boys with long hair have always had long hair from a child most have never had a hair cut so its essentially something their parents/mother chose for them and they have just grown accustomed to it.

if you go into a 3rd and f4th grade class and ask a group of clean cut boys do they want waist length hair what do you think the response will be.

I think when it comes to stereotypical male behavior all of what you hear for the most part is true ( and I know lchf there are always extremes ) but for the most part they are true. Most young boys want nothing at all to do with anything they may be a reflection of a girl they don't want to wear dresses they wont wear pink ( maybe now a shirt or a tie but for the most part they don't want to be dressed in lilac with flat ironed hair and WE as women don't want our men to look like this its simply the way society is and the way gender roles are determined.

MissAmy

He has nice hair but she's doing way too much.

And I say this as the mother of a boy with almost waist length hair. You'd never know it with shrinkage though, lol. but I do know he would never sit still for all that mess- getting him conditioned, moisturized and oiled requires ninja type skill, and then quickly braiding or putting in a ponytail is the most that happens.

I don't understand the relevance of father comments since men have long hair too but that's just me

hnntrr

I agree with you @enzia. I did also hear her say that she usually does NOT flat iron his hair unless it is for length checks, which seems reasonable that she did it for the video and to gauge how long his hair actually was.

I also agree with the other person who made a point to say that men of other cultures (specifically latino and native american men) wear their hair long. There is nothing wrong with having long hair, in a lot of places it shows strength and pride. Flat ironing may be a bit much if she was doing it constantly, but she only does it ones a year for length checks (from what she said on the video) and I would assume that she braids it up immediately after so he wouldn't be walking around with flat ironed hair. Needless to say there are plenty of men and black men in particular who flat iron their hair, relaxed or natural and it looks great.

If the boy doesn't want his hair cut he doesn't want his hair cut. My younger brother was waist length until he was 13 when he decided to cut his hair, and he kept it in a braid 99% of the time.

There is no one way a child should look, whatever makes them happy and yes the mom may have been a tad bit creepy but she's a proud mom and is probably glad to have something in common with her son that they can bond over and who knows how long that will last.

He has beautiful hair. Thats pretty much it, everything else is prescriptive.

ezina

Most young boys with long hair have always had long hair from a child most have never had a hair cut so its essentially something their parents/mother chose for them and they have just grown accustomed to it.

if you go into a 3rd and f4th grade class and ask a group of clean cut boys do they want waist length hair what do you think the response will be.

I think when it comes to stereotypical male behavior all of what you hear for the most part is true ( and I know lchf there are always extremes ) but for the most part they are true. Most young boys want nothing at all to do with anything they may be a reflection of a girl they don't want to wear dresses they wont wear pink ( maybe now a shirt or a tie but for the most part they don't want to be dressed in lilac with flat ironed hair and WE as women don't want our men to look like this its simply the way society is and the way gender roles are determined.

Yeah, but saying something along the lines of because "this is simply the way society is and the way gender roles are determined" and that "WE as women don't want our men to look like this" is iffy, don't you think? I mean, society is always changing. If we were to register to that kind of logic, how can society ever evolve? Even today, we lament the fact that there is systematic racial and sexual prejudice lurking in every corner of our lives. Shoot, we would probably still be tilling those plantation fields.

Your truth of what a male is or should be is purely subjective. In fact, when it comes to social "norms", any truth is subjective. I personally believe that a person should be be whomever or whatever he or she wants as long as it is not hurting anyone else. They own their bodies, therefore they do what they want with it absent harming someone else. A little boy with flat ironed hair isn't causing me any pain, and I'll find it hard to believe it's causing you any.

Now, if the boy really hated flat ironing his hair and his mother is forcefully doing it against his wishes, then that's another issue altogether in which I would side against the mother.