March 2013: Hits or Missess

veesweets

Huge hit: Hairveda's sitrinillah DC
My hair feels so hydrated and soft! Absolutely wonderful. I can still smell it in my hair from yesterday. If it continues to give me these results over the next couple weeks it'll become a holy grail

Neutral: Blensblend 3 in 1 conditioner
Crazy good slip, but I wish it was more moisturizing

Miss: Camille rose changing the ingredients of the algae conditioner before I could try the original

Beamodel

Hit: Hercules seamless combs.

I just used my 5580 and I have lost maybe 10 stands of hair between detangling & applying conditioner. I think this was an awesome investment. I will use my other seamless comb once I'm done and my hair is fully dried.

Last edited:

Toy

Big hit: Liquid Gold Whipped Ginger Cream,smells wonderful and very moisturizing.

30something

On the fence:

Curl Junkie Curl Rehab

Tried it about 6 times. Great conditioner, but for the price I would hope it would be better. I can get equal results with my Aubrey Organics HSR + my Castor oil/ Avocado Oil. Don't think I'll repurchase unless there is a sale.. a BIG sale. Or If I'm in Charlotte, NC and I can buy it on ground.

leiah

Hit: lustrasilk curl max mousse
Very thick and creamy and I haven't seen curls like thissince my hair was shoulder length.

nerdography

Hit: VO5 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint shampoo. It got my scalp really clean and didn't strip my hair. Normally, after a week my scalp is itching something fierce. I don't know what's in this shampoo, but it's like to balanced my overly oily scalp.

APrayer4Hair

Tentative Hit: Forgoing leave ins and moisturizers. Just water and castor oil to seal. I'll be happy as a clam if this comtinues to work out. It'll save me so much time n money.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Miss: Camille rose changing the ingredients of the algae conditioner before I could try the original

Oh, wow. I hadn't gotten a chance to try this yet. The other products that I've tried are great and the ingredients are the same.

Oh, I take that back. She did change one ingredient in the Curl Maker, but it works just as great for me.

InBloom

In my new-growth
New Hit : It's a 10 Light (white bottle) leave-in

I chopped off 15 minutes of time doing rollersets with this stuff. Detangling was effortless. I also had fewer broken strands at take down. I'm going to be unstoppable once my seamless combs get here..

Jewell

Hits:

Nature's Gate Chamomile Conditioner
Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum
Silicon Mix Bambu Nutritive Treatment
Hawaiian Silky 14-N-1 Miracle Worker (continuous fave)
Paul Mitchell Curls Leave-In
Matrix Total Results Blonde Flash Filler
Gud by Burt's Bees Pearanormal Activity Shampoo & Conditioner
Puritan's Pride Silica
Lusti Organics Olive Oil Detangling Spray (continuous fave)

Misses:

None so far

laylaaa

Hits:

1. Aubrey's Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. I did an overnight protein treatment (!!!) and I DC'ed with this for literally 5 minutes in the shower and it took away the hardness immediately. My hair was soft, soft, soft. Supple too. The smell is a little strong, though. Definitely less pleasant of a scent than the GBP conditioner.

2. Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque. I've struggled with serious breakage since colouring my hair in Novemeber and this put an almost complete stop to it. I'm 4 months into my HHJ and I finally feel like I'm making some progress now.

3. Coconut oil. It makes me break out so I have to be careful to avoid skin contact but it's vastly superior to olive oil and avocado oil imo.

4. Scalp cleanses. Being a newb, I'm prone to using an insane amount of product under the guise of "more is better" and this leads to serious build up -- even with natural, silicone-free ingredients. To combat this, I do a peppermint scrub weekly or whenever I feel I need it using just brown sugar, any random oil and peppermint oil. It cleans my scalp, stimulates my roots and it destresses too so I love it. And then I just follow up with a very dilute mix of ACV and rosemary for that squeaky clean, shiny look without any dryness.

I've seen almost instant results with those four and I'm finally motivated to stick to my regimen on a daily basis for the first time ever. Before that, nothing was really working which was frustrating but now I actually look forward to my little routine.

Misses:

1) Vatika Egg protein. This is such a bad product that I want it to be outlawed. Smells funny, dries out hair leaving it looking wiry and parched even with a follow-up DC.

2. Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. Good as a conditioner, bad as a leave-in because it leaves behind visible white residue.

3. Giovanni 50/50 Clarifying Hydrating Shampoo. No SLS but 6 other surfactants = tangled, arid mess.

Next month I'll be trying henna and argan oil and I have good hopes for both. Also, this is my first post. Hi! :)

hair4today

Mega Hits:
NaturelleGrow Herbal Blends DC is one of the best moisturizing DCs I've ever used, love the texture, smell and performance:lick:

NaturelleGrow Soft N Silky Leave-In Detangling Conditioner/Curl Cream/Hair Softner -- this stuff is amazing,it performs just as promised...it moisturizes, detangles and leaves your hair silky soft. After searching so long for a decent leave in, SNS is now a HG staple:yep:

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

Mega HIT! (HG Status):
Afroveda PUR Whipped Hair Gelly: This is the ONLY gel that ever touches my edges. How do I explain it.....Hmmmm well, it has the holding power of Eco Styler w/o the crunchy hard feeling or flaking. I use it EVERYDAY and never had adverse effects I get when I use other gels regularly. LOVE THE HECKS OUT OF IT! 3 years and going strong :yep:.

Potential Hits:

KomazaCare Aloe My Hair Moisturizing Spray....Stuff is NICE :yep:.

Komazacare Shea Butter Lotion: Used it as a leave in moisturizer under the Califia Leave In Condish this past wash day instead of my beloved Bee Mine Deja and Luscious Combo and YAS HONEY! My hair was buttery soft!

Hairveda Cocasta Hair Oil: Anything with castor oil as a main ingredient makes my hair melt like butter. However my hair was blinging all over the place when I used this as a leave in sealant on my wash day.

(KomazaCare is def. a staple line :yep:)

Revisited Hit:
Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave In: I revisited this after my brief love affair with Giovanni Vitapro and I see why I loved it so much. My hair has a fluffy feel after using it. Only CON is if I use to much my hair gets a bit "stringy".

Plain Ole' Hit:

My Luck with Leave In Conditioners/Moisturizers Lately: My hair has been responding well to pretty much every Leave In/Moisturizer I've tried :happydance: *KNOCKS ON WOOD! Lord please don't let this change :pray:

justNikki

Ogoma, IDK, that is what my bottle looks like the I ordered from Curl Mart. I just know that it will be coming to Target. Since I do not use/need a lot of this, by the time I do, my Target should have it.

Huge hit: Hairveda's sitrinillah DC
My hair feels so hydrated and soft! Absolutely wonderful. I can still smell it in my hair from yesterday. If it continues to give me these results over the next couple weeks it'll become a holy grail

Neutral: Blensblend 3 in 1 conditioner
Crazy good slip, but I wish it was more moisturizing

Never tried it before picking it up at Target. It is awesome.

The Moisture Mlik is the straight up business too. And I got it from TARGET too!

lamaria211

Hit- Wen Fig styling cream. I used it as a leave in after my hair was almost dry. Very smooth and silky finish
Big Hit- Darcy's Tucuma Butter moisture Whip. I love this stuff on damp or dry hair, it could be the best moisturizer I've ever used.

JBunnie

Miss: adding garlic powder to my cowash conditioner. I don't care if it cures my shedding for life (which it didn't) it's not worth smelling like a home cooked Italian meal for weeks. SMH.

I will admit I only did it twice but I can't get this smell out my hair

Babygrowth

Hits:
HH Hemp Nostalgia is a lifetime hit! Everytime I use it consistently moisturized, soft, fluffy, smooth hair! Who cares if the smell is weird! I'm keeping this in my stash for winter! I'm afraid it may be tooooooo thick for summer.

Claudies Iman Butter- glides on, sinks in, just awesomeness

Elucence acidifying shampoo- lifetime hit!

Coconut oil (extra virgin), coconut milk (will never do a stretch without this again!

Hercules Sagemann magic star rake- no snags, fewer shedded hairs

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
APrayer4Hair

I did this at one point. I can't remember any adverse effects other than the oil build-up. I was probably using too much or something. It worked fine overall but I went back to my normal moisturiser.

Jewell

Another HIT:

NuNaat Brazilian Keratin Intensive Mask...love this stuff and you get a lot for the price. It will always be in my stash. Soft, silky, elastic hair. Made combing through/detangling 5 mos of ng super easy.

APrayer4Hair

APrayer4Hair

I did this at one point. I can't remember any adverse effects other than the oil build-up. I was probably using too much or something. It worked fine overall but I went back to my normal moisturiser.

Hopefully I'll find a good moisturizer one day. I haven't had amazing results yet.

trclemons

HIT: Giovanni Smooth As Silk Xtreme Protein, Cantu Shea Butter Leave In, Aussie Moist Conditioner & Eco Styler Gel

MISS: Aphogee 2 Min. Reconstructor, Aphogee Leave In, Suave Coconut Conditioner, EVCO, ORS Edge Control

AlliCat

Huge hit:
Pantene 10 in 1 conditioner. The conditioner has exteme slip (guess due to all the cones) and smells good. The consistency is thinner than the other pantene conditioners I've tried (which is a plus b/c easier to rinse)

On the fence:
Frederic Fekkai - Technician Color Care Mask -- $45.00 most expensive DC I've purchased ever. The consistency is super thick. I was underwhelmed after my first use yesterday (used it for 2 hours..next time will follow the 7min instructions)

30something

Hit
BoBeamProducts Honey and Oats Moisturizing Shampoo Bar Takes very little to actually get suds, not too stripping. For only $6 on Curlmart It a bargain this will last forever.

Original Moxie Everyday Leave in Haven't found a good leave in since they discontinued HE LTR leave in. Moisturizes with out having to be heavy. Do not like the health food store hippie smell

Oyin Handmade Shine & Define Good holding/styling product with out dry flakiness

Oyin Handmade Sugar Berries Pomade Offers great shine but it smells like Children's grape Tylenol which is a turn off. I like it much more than my Qhemet Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist Butter

Miss

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Pudding
It offers good shine but medicore hold, great for my bantu knot out but everything else it was a miss. Not sure why Fragrance (Parfum) is the 3rd ingredient but what ever.. Returned it to Ulta.