Make Your Own Hair Steamer

beawo

This morning I just figured out a way to steam my hair without having to own a hair steamer or use the hot towel method. If anyone owns a face steamer (its cheaper than a hair steam) the way to convert this to a hair steam is to:
Get a plastic bag a large one (a garbage bag)
Make a hole so that it can fit around the steamer hat(whatever its called)
Put the plastic bag around the steamer hat and use the other part of the bag to cover your head and you have made your very own hair steamer.
If you don't own a facial Steamer you can just a bowl with hot water and do that plastic bag thing with it.

I figured it out this morning because I don't like the hot towel thing its too annoying.

If anyone has another way of making their own hair steamer, I would love to hear about it.

pebbles

That's an excellent idea beawo.
I'm going to try it on my next wash. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tara

O.k. THIS is terrific!! I don't like the hot towel thing either.

I had one of those face steamers, and then I didn't really like it, so I'm gonna buy another one and use it for my hair. GREAT idea!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

keylargo

How do you keep the plastic bag around your head? also, how do you sit while you're steaming? do you have your face facing the steamer or are you able to sit up? i'm trying to picture this because i want to try it soon.

beawo

What i did was I sat with my back faced to the plastic bag, use it just like a normal hooded hair dryer. Use the plastic bag to cover your hair, don't put your whole head into the bag only cover you hair, that is, back faced. You should put the steamer on a surface which is higher than where you intend to sit.

daviine

They have face steamers at CVS for $19.99. I'm seriously considering getting one. However, I used to steam my face by puttin it over a pot with frehly boiled water and making a tent over my head to keep the steam in. I wonder if my hair was getting any steam at that time.

Beawo...have you tried this yet? I'm still trying to picture it and it's a little difficult for me to envision. Maybe if I buy the steamer it will make more sense.

Thanks for posting.

LondonDiva

A few questions ladies.

What are the benefits of hair steaming?
Do you use any particular hair products whilst steaming?
At what part of the hair washing process is this done? Before during or after?

keylargo

i've read before that steam provides moisture to the hair so is much better than dry heat from a hooded dryer. i think some of the ladies here use it while conditioning or using a hot oil treatment.

beawo

Yeah I have tried this three times now. I relaxed my sisters hair the other day and then steamed it and it turned out really soft. My hair has remainded really soft after three days of steaming it.

daviine

Girl, you have me so tempted to go out in this snow storm and buy a steamer right now. It's not like I'm sitting her edoing anything meaningful anyway. Doing my hair always makes me feel better.

daviine

Beawo----how are you using this. Are you putting conditioner or hot oils in your hair or are you using it to periodically provide your hair with moisture?

Let me know. I still haven't cashed in on all my Xmas presents yet and my bday is coming!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

beawo

I just use a deep treatment and then steam my hair. Sometimes I do an oil treatment as well.

AfroKink

Thanks for bumping this. I was thinking of some ways to steam my hair before I go ahead and buy a machine.

Alyssa

michaela

Natural 4b
Im too cheap to buy a steamer but one day i will.
For now i just Put 2 Face towels and boiling water than take one of the towels put it on my hair put a plastic cap over it than on top of the plastic cap place the other Towel. After that i put another plastic cap and finally add a heating cap. Sit under for abour 10-20 Mins take the cap off (kinda hot right about now) and there u have steam! I set my heating cap for the first 10 Mins low than for the Other 5 minutes i set it to High.

Blessed_Angel

So glad this was bumped...I have a face steamer that I haven't used in years, and I could use it this way. Besides, I want to start steaming my face again; and now I will be doing my hair too. :grin:

CheChe1881

Years later, has anyone besides OP tried this? I have a face steamer and looking to join the steaming challenge.