How Long after Highlights should I wait for relaxer?

bonafidelatina

Hello LongHairCareForum,

I'm a newbie.

For the new year I wanted a change so I got highlights which came out really nice. I am a relaxed girl...my last relaxer was in September (I usually relax every7-8 months b/c I just get mild and its only to loosen my curl).

After getting highlights I started reading various blogs and most say that I should have relaxed (touchup) first and then after 2-3 weeks do the highlights...so I'm worried b/c I guess I did it backwards.

Wanted to ask for any of you that have experienced this...how long do I have to wait post-highlights to relax????

I was thinking of doing it in Spring...but my new growth is getting up there so Im anxious!!!

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

tbaby_8

Bare minimum 2 weeks, but me personally I would wait at least 3-4 weeks and do protein treatments and conditioning treatments in between the time. Highlights, not properly taken care of, can cause shedding and breakage. So really baby your hair. I found out the hard way and now I had to cut at lot of my hair. I was almost mid back and now I am back to shoulder length because of the breakage.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I personally don't believe in double processing (Cathy Howse ol' skool mentality) but if you feel you have to I would wait atleast 4 weeks and use protein in between the time you relaxed to getting the highlights. And if you're not I would become a relaxer stretcher so the relaxer doesn't touch the highlights.

wheezy807

When i got my highlights i waited only two weeks. Word of advice, make sure to keep your hair well moisturized at all times. Try to deep condition on a regular basis with a moisturizing conditioner.