A Question for Naturals Who Moisturize Straightened Hair...

I have searched through old threads but I can't seem to find how naturals effectively moisturize their ends after they press without it reverting?

And if you are natural and using a light oil or serum- do you ever run the flat iron to "freshen up your press" on that moisturized portion?

Thanks in advance!

Akemi

I've read that some flat-ironed naturals use coconut oil to moisturize. Elasta QP Recovery Oil moisturizer is supposed to be a good one, too. :yep: I have't tried these yet, though.

nappystorm

I either use Cantu Olive oil of Proclaim 7 in one oil. I usually do a dry set (rollerset on dry hair) to freshen up or wrap it at night

KEWLKAT103

And if you are natural and using a light oil or serum- do you ever run the flat iron to "freshen up your press" on that moisturized portion?

Thanks in advance!

I have, but that was only once. I don't like using alot of heat on my hair, so I usually flat iron once every few months. I keep that for a couple of days and when it's gone, it's gone.

truequeen06

I use a little coconut oil on my ends and that's it. I never touch up except maybe my edges after the 1st week.

empressri

Frederic fekkai's olive glossing cream works wonderfully to keep my hair from reverting. I've been in some serious humidity and my hair stayed straight.

Allandra

I don't press my hair, but I get it straightened with a flat iron. Once my hair has been straightened, I keep it looking good (like silk) and feeling good (like silk) by applying serum each night. Deep conditioning the hair also provides it with lots of moisture (which works great for me - especially when my hair is straightened).

malachi74

I used to use coconut oil on the ends to add a little moisture each night that I was straightened, but since I used Sabino on Sunday, I'm a believer. My ends are still soft and smooth, my hair feels supple and I haven't applied anything since Sunday afternoon when after wash and DC, I left in some regular conditioner then sealed with Sabino blow-dried and then proceeded to flat-iron. The way my hair feels I may be straight AND moisturized without adding anything 'til Sunday coming up!

Oh and I have never gone back to touch up my hair during the week. I usually leave it straightened for about 4 days and then wash and DC.

Last edited:

naturalpride

I use coconut oil, Aveda Anti-Humectant, and Motions Herbal Rosmary Oil. Since straightening I've used these product and my hair is doing fine, I haven't had much breakage and my hair is still bouncy. This is my first press since being natural and I do not re-apply heat to my hair after it's pressed in fear of burning or damaging my hair. I us Hype Hair Satin Roller to maintain my hair, I simply roll my hair at night my current press is on day 10 now; I will wash this weekend:)

Last edited:

momi

I have searched through old threads but I can't seem to find how naturals effectively moisturize their ends after they press without it reverting?

Thanks in advance!

I use silk by design essentials or NTM's serum.

No, I never freshen up my press. Once I flat-iron it I do not apply any more heat until the next time. I make sure to put it to bed at night by either wrapping, rolling, or pin-curling.

Muse

I used to use coconut oil on the ends to add a little moisture each night that I was straightened, but since I used Sabino on Sunday, I'm a believer. My ends are still soft and smooth, my hair feels supple and I haven't applied anything since Sunday afternoon when after wash and DC, I left in some regular conditioner then sealed with Sabino blow-dried and then proceeded to flat-iron. The way my hair feels I may be straight AND moisturized without adding anything 'til Sunday coming up!

Oh and I have never gone back to touch up my hair during the week. I usually leave it straightened for about 4 days and then wash and DC.

Yes isn't moisture block great! I can't sing enough praises for this stuff. And the fact that you don't have to put anything in your hair until the next shampoo is even better. It really seals in the moisture, I haven't had any dry hair days since I've started using Sabino MB regularly. I wish I knew about this stuff BEFORE I fried my ends up with other so called heat protectants.