Shea Butter for pressing?

Irresistible

well there was no way i could of washed all that Shea Butter out of my hair with just conditioner , i tried, it didnt work. but i pressed it anyway ,and just hoped for the best....well it was one of the easiest and softest presses ive ever had or done....i still had too much shea butter and had to wipe at it with paper towels...but the press was smooth as silk
...i just took a few pics of it freshly pressed, and put them in my album..Shea Butter seems to work very well for pressing, if you dont mind a little oil....it will soak up more later anyway.

serena

You seem to have done a great job; your hair looks fantastic. Do you use a pressing comb, or flat iron? Forgive me if you've answered this before elsewhere.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
serena said:
You seem to have done a great job; your hair looks fantastic. Do you use a pressing comb, or flat iron? Forgive me if you've answered this before elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ] thank you....the shea butter made it way more easier than usual... i only use a pressing comb...the shea better made it such a soft easy press....but its real greasy...

Irresistible

well yahoo is trippin as usual so i finally opened up a fotki account, the pressed pics are there, will have to work on getting the rest of the pics over there later....anyway, Shea butter works very well for pressing and thats the main point lol

AngelaP

It looks really good! I would prefer to use shea butter instead of some product with all types of alcohols, etc. in it. Next time you can just adjust the amount of the shea butter.

fancypants007

Hi Irrestibile,

I would like to ask your advice concerning pressing hair. I want to do mine when I take the braids out around Feb. 27th. I got the ultra sheen creme satin press that you recommended. I don't have a pressing comb. What kind do you recommend i should purchase. I think i understand the technique of pressing. You said to take smaller sections, and use the pressing wax sparingly. My hair is not half as long as yours, it's about 25 inches. How long does it take you to press your hair. How do you do the back part of your hair. Should I start pressing my hair in the back or front. I looked at some of the pressing combs and the teeth are so tight together. Do you lose alot of hair when pressing because of the pressing comb. Sorry for all the questions, but i need help. Any advice you can give is helpful.
Thanks

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
AngelaP said:
It looks really good! I would prefer to use shea butter instead of some product with all types of alcohols, etc. in it. Next time you can just adjust the amount of the shea butter.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you..thats what im thinkin...i had no clue Shea Butter made a press softer and easier, now i know....and im tellin ya'll it really really does. i have no clue yet how it holds up to reversion...but i know that i know it gives a press like silk...only downsides are the hair gets hot (cause of the oil) and its greasy, but i really dont mind a little grease, cause usually by the next day its soaked in alot, the heat helps it to do that...only i had so much on i had to use papertowels lol

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
fancypants007 said:
Hi Irrestibile,

I would like to ask your advice concerning pressing hair. I want to do mine when I take the braids out around Feb. 27th. I got the ultra sheen creme satin press that you recommended. I don't have a pressing comb. What kind do you recommend i should purchase. I think i understand the technique of pressing. You said to take smaller sections, and use the pressing wax sparingly. My hair is not half as long as yours, it's about 25 inches. How long does it take you to press your hair. How do you do the back part of your hair. Should I start pressing my hair in the back or front. I looked at some of the pressing combs and the teeth are so tight together. Do you lose alot of hair when pressing because of the pressing comb. Sorry for all the questions, but i need help. Any advice you can give is helpful.
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

ive gotten so much faster and effective at this after years of practicing on and off.....

first after rinsing out the final conditioner...i section it in four parts (one part down the middle and one part down the middle of those) then most times i leave it in those four sections, or i part each of those four sections in half making eight and braid or twist them...let it dry some (if you have time you can do this overnight) when its only slightly damp then i take the section and dry it with a pressing comb (with the teeth in the back kind) yes it sizzles and all that, but its just the comb drying it (its better if your not sure what your doing with this step to let your hair dry all the way naturally...i never blow dry...before you put your hair in the braids or twists...its at that point while its still wet and sectioned that you would add the satin creme press grease....when i used the lotion i used it section by section for the final press...once i get each section dry i put it back in twist untill im done, then i take it all down and starting from the front (in no particular order) i take tiny section and take a regular pressing comb and press it section by section.....i didnt add anything else this time because i had so much shea butter in it already...i will take pictures of both of the pressing combs i use later, so you can see the difference between the two...always test the comb agains a white towel (that you dont need) if you see it turn it brown , its too hot for your hair, and let it cool off some, blow on, or wave it around...ive gotten to the point where i can not have to test the comb because i know when its too hot or not...but thats a good way to be sure...and when you go down the hair section by section you hold the hair at start with the comb as close the root as possible and turn the back of the comb against the hair , holding it so that the comb is pressing with some tension against the hair...i know words probaby dont help much....im sure it would be better to see than to read..but i hope this helps.

ChasingBliss

Your hair looks really beautiful. Too bad about the oily part you had to deal with, but the shea butter thing is probably healthier for your hair than commercial hair pressing oils, so it might be worth it to continue using it
. I might try this with my daughter.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:
Your hair looks really beautiful. Too bad about the oily part you had to deal with, but the shea butter thing is probably healthier for your hair than commercial hair pressing oils, so it might be worth it to continue using it
. I might try this with my daughter.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you girl!! yeah i think its a keeper...it definitely gives it a softer easier press...it makes a big difference...have to try it later with a whole lot less though lol...will have to report back on how it holds....thats why the satin creme press was the bomb...cause of the lack of reversion....we shall see with the shea butter...but whatever the case it feels good...im sure someone , somewhere else must have stumbled on this too???!!!???.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
I looked at some of the pressing combs and the teeth are so tight together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same problem. The teeth are soooo close together. I bought one and couldn't get my hair through the teeth!
In Mr. John's book, "A Black Woman's Dream... Growing Your "Own" Hair Beyond the Shoulders!" (313-345-4555), he mentions a "break down" pressing comb that has wide spaces between the teeth. I have never seen one of these...
My grandmother used two combs--a heavy, "double sided" comb and a smaller one for the edges. She had several of the same two combs so she always had a hot one. She heated them on a two burner hot plate.

Here are some instructions w/ pics that might help--
http://www.manican.com/stages/stage_refe...url/prsscrl.asp

@ Irrestibile:
You need to have a pressing seminar!
Your hair looks great! Too bad about the greasiness, though.

mermaid

I had to start using the burner again after my heating stove for my irons finally fizzled out!!

DragonPearl

Your hair looks great! I am a big fan of shea butter myself. If I do decide to press my hair someday, I'll probably use shea butter.

fancypants007

Thanks Irresistible, i will try your methods.

Thanks as well Sassygirl, very informative.

I know that I will have my work cut out for me on that day when I press my hair. I'm glad there is no particular order, because I will be starting in the front. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

SherryLove

I AGREE WITH HONEYLEMONDROP... YOUR HAIR IS VERY HEALTHY LOOKING AND ONCE AGAIN I LOVE THE LENGTH...i WISH MY HAIR WAS NATURAL AGAIN....

G

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
In Mr. John's book, "A Black Woman's Dream... Growing Your "Own" Hair Beyond the Shoulders!" (313-345-4555), he mentions a "break down" pressing comb that has wide spaces between the teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I find this book? By calling the number?

Armyqt

Your hair look beautiful Irresitable
. It looks very sleek and shiny. I can co-sign with you on the shea butter and presses. My daugher is natural and I recently repressed her hair with Carols' Daughter Healthy hair butter (mainly shea butter ) and Healthier Hair in a bottle oil (mainly cocnut oil). And I tell you, my baby's hair looks like a relaxer. I pressed it with a flat iron.

What I do is take each section and spray a little HHB oil in my palm and then rub it on the ends first and then the remainder on the length of the hair. After I pass the flat iron over the hair, I then Tkae some of the healthy hair butter and run it over the warm hair. It melts right into the hair and gives it that sleek healthy look that lasts for days frizz-free. These 2 products are definitely a keeper for me.

BTW, I'm keeping my eys open for a K-Cutter for my lil princess
. Thanks for sharing your techniques, they are really helpful

hotshot

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
. It looks very sleek and shiny. I can co-sign with you on the shea butter and presses. My daugher is natural and I recently repressed her hair with Carols' Daughter Healthy hair butter (mainly shea butter ) and Healthier Hair in a bottle oil (mainly cocnut oil). And I tell you, my baby's hair looks like a relaxer. I pressed it with a flat iron.

What I do is take each section and spray a little HHB oil in my palm and then rub it on the ends first and then the remainder on the length of the hair. After I pass the flat iron over the hair, I then Tkae some of the healthy hair butter and run it over the warm hair. It melts right into the hair and gives it that sleek healthy look that lasts for days frizz-free. These 2 products are definitely a keeper for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does it revert? im concerned about losing my curl pattern. . .

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
Where can I find this book? By calling the number?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You have to order directly from them. You can also write to them at:

Mr. John's Hair Clinic
13826 W McNichols
Detroit, MI 48235

In 2002 the book cost $13.95. I sent $15 or $16 to cover the book price and shipping. I received the book in approx. two weeks.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
hotshot said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

how does it revert? im concerned about losing my curl pattern. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

It reverts back by washing and conditioning. I ended up having to repress my daughter's before I anticipated because she was playing in her hair and decided to brush it with a wet brush.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
[ QUOTE ]

@ Irrestibile:
You need to have a pressing seminar!
Your hair looks great! Too bad about the greasiness, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol yanno , its always better to be able to show someone something like that than to type it out..and thank you girl...yeah i was lookin kinda greasy today lol...its kewl though...at least my hair was "layed" even if it was stickin to my scalp

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:
Your hair looks great! I am a big fan of shea butter myself. If I do decide to press my hair someday, I'll probably use shea butter.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you Jessy , you will like it , as long as your not heavy handed like me lol

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
I AGREE WITH HONEYLEMONDROP... YOUR HAIR IS VERY HEALTHY LOOKING AND ONCE AGAIN I LOVE THE LENGTH...i WISH MY HAIR WAS NATURAL AGAIN....

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you Sherry, girl its only a matter of doing it and then giving it time...your hair would be even fiercer than it is now!!!...thats almost scurry lol...dont trip though cause its BEAUTIFUL as is...untill you decide your still kewl .

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

girl yes!! Shea butter is the bomb...the press was like silk, how it made the comb go through it and how it pressed, all of it..i was in awe and frustrated at the same time cause i had way too much in my hair....all i can say is NEXT TIME ITS ON

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Re: Wide Tooth Pressing Combs

My aunt says there is a wide tooth hot comb called "The Detangler" by Kentucky Maid. It's model # KM51. She bought one a long time ago but she says it isn't necessary. Just use really thin sections of hair and a regular hot comb. She says Kentucky Maid makes a great stove, too. I saw it at the bss for $60.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I don't know. I've never tried it. But I'm concerned about the closely spaced teeth on a regular pressing comb. It looks like they would rip my hair out if I tried to get my hair through it.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I don't know. I've never tried it. But I'm concerned about the closely spaced teeth on a regular pressing comb. It looks like they would rip my hair out if I tried to get my hair through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive never tried the wide teeth ones...i would figure that the wider ones might not straighten as well...but remember the biggest step is turning the back against the hair and not using the teeth at first..you should get both and see which one will work the best....it turns out i needed two kinds...