MaxiGlide Tips On Natural Hair

Country gal

I plan on buying a maxiglide for Christmas and using it this week to straighten my hair. I need some tips and advice on using the glide. I also need to keep up the results.

LynnieB

CG, not 100% natural but working on it ;)

i use the maxi of course on freshly washed and conditioned hair.

i'll airdry overnight in about 8 twists and the following morning take out each twist and spray with a leave in then blow dry on medium followed by a cool blast. i'd say my hair was about 85-95% dry before blowdrying.

after that, i'll add a tiny bit of biosilk to a 1.5 x 1.5 section of hair, brush it through with my denman brush and begin flatironing. if the new growth waves are feeling too "set-in" than i spray with a bit more leave-in (you could probably use water too) then blow it out.

i use setting 1 and this is what i got - maxi, with guiding pin plate on and using the steam burst:

ther'es about 6 inches of natural new growth there.

i've also got a creme based heat protectant called Lets Jamm. it's alright but i like the results of a clear silcone product much better.

try to use it on the lowest setting first than if your hair isn't straight enough, move it up a setting at a time. please don't start on the highest heat first! also, be sure to detangle your hair first.

does that help?

Last edited:

LynnieB

last night i tried making a loose ponytail and use my scarf to cover hair for bed but the danged thing kept slipping off so i made 2 pincurls in the front and a sort of twisted pincurl in the back then used the scarf with no slipping.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Your hair is Pretty!
LynnieB said:

i'll airdry overnight in about 8 twists and the following morning take out each twist and spray with a leave in then blow dry on medium followed by a cool blast. i'd say my hair was about 85-95% dry before blowdrying.

after that, i'll add a tiny bit of biosilk to a 1.5 x 1.5 section of hair, brush it through with my denman brush and begin flatironing. if the new growth waves are feeling too "set-in" than i spray with a bit more leave-in (you could probably use water too) then blow it out.

i use setting 1 and this is what i got - maxi, with guiding pin plate on and using the steam burst:

http://images14.fotki.com/v370/photos/1/1051893/4389443/m3-vi.jpg?1166384058

i've also got a creme based heat protectant called Lets Jamm. it's alright but i like the results of a clear silcone product much better.

try to use it on the lowest setting first than if your hair isn't straight enough, move it up a setting at a time. please don't start on the highest heat first! also, be sure to detangle your hair first.

does that help?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
IMO I think it's easier to dry your hair before flat ironing so it will be as straight as possible. To do this I will dry by banding, wet wrapping, or one ponytail w/ the ends rolled up. All three work well, it's just a matter of preference. I think this is important because it takes less heat and manipulation to get the hair flat ironed straight and it also keeps the hair from getting caught in those pins (I love the pins by the way).

After my hair is dry starting at the nape I section off about a 2" wide section and apply heat protectant. Flat iron smaller 1" sections then put that in a ponytail and go to the next section (hope that made sense). I use the iron on setting one and that gets plenty hot for me. After I'm all done I usually wrap it but I don't like to wrap too often so I'll alternate the wrap with a banded ponytail. HTH Good Luck.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I'm due for my semi-annual maxiglide soon...

I kinda do the same as Lynnie, I wash & condition--I make sure to use products with silicone before I Maxiglide, makes hair easier to detangle, extra protection.
I also dry overnight with big braids. The next day I undo a section, use a paddle brush to get it really detangled then as I go along I use Redken Heatglide as my protectant mixed with a teeny bit of shea butter(for shine).

The last time I used the steam and my hair stayed feeling moisturized longer but everybody doesn't like it.

Remember to take your time, let the pins do the work, don't press the plates together too tightly and don't yank the iron through your hair. Post pics!

Country gal

LynnieB said:

does that help?

:) Very Helpful. Your hair is beautiful.:love: :love:

Country gal

Thanks for the tips. I am scared now. :eek: Slyver is suppose to maxi glide my hair next month but I am impatient. I want to wear my hair straight for Christmas. It seems like a lot of work.

LynnieB

sure it is but how often are you going to be doing it CG? it's not something i'd want to do or maintain everyday either, uh-huh.

It's definitely a Just-For-YOU day though.

but for that 1 week every month or every 6 months, you can get to experience that different look and it's like a nice change of pace.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I don't think you have anything to be scared of. It's kind of a lot of work which is one of the reasons I'm not a frequent washer, lol. Post pics when you get it done! I know everyone will be anxious to see.

Country gal

Pokahontas said:
I don't think you have anything to be scared of. It's kind of a lot of work which is one of the reasons I'm not a frequent washer, lol. Post pics when you get it done! I know everyone will be anxious to see.

I will definitely post pictures cause I am long overdue for an update shot. I am axious to see how long it is. :grin:

B

Bublnbrnsuga

What really helped me was the instruction DVD :yep:

I also maxi my hair on setting 5, but I think I will go higher next time because it's not getting my hair straight anymore. I am still deciding on if blowdrying my hair before hand will be better or will letting it airdry first be better.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Country gal said:
I will definitely post pictures cause I am long overdue for an update shot. I am axious to see how long it is. :grin:

Hey Country, don't want you to be not be excited, but for me, I thought my hair was gonna be way past my back, but after straightening it, it looked shorter than expected :confused: Someone here explained to me that straightened hair can still have a bit of shrinkage so if you don't see the results you desire, this may be why!

CaramelMiSS

nurseN98 said:
I'm due for my semi-annual maxiglide soon...

I kinda do the same as Lynnie, I wash & condition--I make sure to use products with silicone before I Maxiglide, makes hair easier to detangle, extra protection.
I also dry overnight with big braids. The next day I undo a section, use a paddle brush to get it really detangled then as I go along I use Redken Heatglide as my protectant mixed with a teeny bit of shea butter(for shine).

The last time I used the steam and my hair stayed feeling moisturized longer but everybody doesn't like it.

Remember to take your time, let the pins do the work, don't press the plates together too tightly and don't yank the iron through your hair. Post pics!

This is the most important thing to remember, I didn't and ended up losing some of hair!!!

chocolate01

agre with all the tips given. Especially letting the pins do the work. I guess i'm the heat addict of this thread. I blowdry first then use the maxiglide. I usually set my maxi around 7. It gets my hair really straight but I still have a lot of body. I wrap my hair at night it lasts for two weeks. I straightened my hair two weeks ago and it's still straight and looks like I just bumped it and I have not used any type of heat or rollers to touch it up. As long as your careful it will come out great and your hair will be fine. Oh and i'm co-signing on posting pics.

LynnieB

it just does :D

no different technique than any other flatiron or even a curling iron for that matter.

it works...really it does!! ;)

lana

I really do get my roots straight with the maxiglide. But I notice that I have to take my time. Like this time I was rushing and didn't want to spend a long time straightening so I used the wrong heat setting (too low) and didn't go over it at all in any spots and my hair reverted on me by day 2. (laughs)

But I promise when I take my time, it feels sleek and soft, like I just got a fresh relaxer. But I'm all natural with a smooth press from my maxiglide.

Oh and it's usually shaky too, if I use the bare minimum in products.

VeeJai

i cosign making sure your hair is dry. i got the best results when i blow dried my hair first. it just gets a lot of the lil kinks out and makes it so much easier to straighten. also don't sleep on the steam burst option. it helps a lot.

It will be wonderful. :)

I use the maxiglide on the 5 setting after I Shampoo, condition, detangle, section, and use a heat protectant for my hair. I do not squeeze tight because I use the plate with the teeth.